Connecticut
Options

tipping - am I being fair?

Hi,

This is what I was planning on giving, please honestly let me know if I am being fair or cheap...(I am having 93 guest)

-DJ: $80 (total was 1350, 650 went to company, 700 to DJ)
coordinator at venue: $100 (I am paying $170/person which includes tip, tax etc)
-Matrd: $80
-Day of coordinator: $100 (her total fee was $500, she was running a -promotion for her services, i think her normal fee is about 800)
-Day of coordinator assistant: $50
-hair/makeup: 20%

Re: tipping - am I being fair?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think thats very fair!  Do you plan to tip your photographer as well?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_tipping-am-being-fair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:f2de7b18-19ea-4af2-ad9e-93c368c69bf8Post:f5d7c0dc-35a8-44fb-9cdb-687f7a27fb91">Re: tipping - am I being fair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think thats very fair!  Do you plan to tip your photographer as well?
    Posted by nikkir4[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>My photographer owns her own company and her second shooter is her husband so i was not going to

</div>
  • Options
    JessiHol1230JessiHol1230 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think all of those are fair but I think you should tip your photographer as well.
  • Options
    klm03013klm03013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_tipping-am-being-fair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:f2de7b18-19ea-4af2-ad9e-93c368c69bf8Post:1a8dc4a4-9d0d-47c3-9185-96ef64340520">Re: tipping - am I being fair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think all of those are fair but I think you should tip your photographer as well.
    Posted by JessiHol1230[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually, I think it is common to not tip if the photographer owns their own company as they are already getting all the profit. In fact, this is common with any vendor that owns their own business.</div>
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_tipping-am-being-fair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:f2de7b18-19ea-4af2-ad9e-93c368c69bf8Post:1a8dc4a4-9d0d-47c3-9185-96ef64340520">Re: tipping - am I being fair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think all of those are fair but I think you should tip your photographer as well.
    Posted by JessiHol1230[/QUOTE]

<div>i disagree.  she owns the company.  i would not tip.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you are being very fair. All of my vendors happen to own their own companies. The only person as of now that I know I will definately be tipping 20% is my hair & makeup. Your list looks good to me.
    imageAnniversary Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011

granted the photographer owns her own company BUT the photographer is the only person that still has to do work after the wedding.  You can't even imagine the time and effort that goes into selecting and editing the pictures from your wedding day.   You may hire her for 8 hours for your day, but she will spend 3 times that editing them.  I would def. tip her especially if she does a good job.
  • Options
    Laurensara18Laurensara18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually used to shoot weddings with my friend who owns her own company, and of the 50 or so weddings we shot, not a single person ever tipped either one of us...
  • Options
    sariesuesariesue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's catered then you should tip the catering staff/bartenders if it's not already included in your bill. 
  • Options
    Heather0817Heather0817 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think your logic on tipping is correct.  The editing your photographer does after the wedding is included in their overall fee.  They may put in a lot of extra time after the wedding, but that is what they are getting paid to do.  The catering staff and bartenders gratuity are included in the total reception bill, usually under a service fee or gratuity.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_tipping-am-being-fair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:f2de7b18-19ea-4af2-ad9e-93c368c69bf8Post:cfa6dc92-48c4-4302-ad1c-74685ffe86ba">Re: tipping - am I being fair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think your logic on tipping is correct.  The editing your photographer does after the wedding is included in their overall fee.  They may put in a lot of extra time after the wedding, but that is what they are getting paid to do.  The catering staff and bartenders gratuity are included in the total reception bill, usually under a service fee or gratuity.
    Posted by Heather0817[/QUOTE]
    I agree!!!  I also think it's standard practice to not tip if the owner is providing the service.  I think all of my vendors are owners even my makeup so I'm not worried about tipping on top of what we were already charged.  The photographer knows how much time he/she has to spend after the wedding to edit the photos and builds this into the price of the package.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok.... so if your logic is correct, then why bother tipping the DJ for doing a good job if he is the owner?  That makes NO sense.. if your basing it on the fact that they charge for what they do then you shouldn't tip anyone cause that's what "they are getting paid to do"  My photographer will be happy with me at least because she WILL be getting a tip!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards