- The average American engagement is 16 months.
- During the engagement period, couples buy:
- $4 billion in furniture
- $3 billion in house wares
- $400 million in tableware
- June is the most popular month for weddings, then August, followed by September October and May
- Every year an average of 2.4 million weddings are performed in the U.S.
- The Wedding Industry is a 50 billion dollar a year industry
- Average age for first-time brides is 25 years, for grooms it's 27.5
- 175 guests are invited to an average wedding
- One third of engaged couples retain a Wedding Consultant
- An average honeymoon vacation is one week
- The average household income of a newly married couple is $60,000/year
- Couples are waiting longer to get married
- Tuxedoes are typically purchased 5-6 months after the wedding gown
- Median age for remarriage is 34 for women and 37 for men
- Bridesmaids' gowns are general purchased 3-4 months in advance of the event
- Average size of wedding party: 12
- Most brides (30%) plan their weddings for 7 to 12 months
- Most (about 75%) first-time brides will receive a diamond engagement ring (67% of repeat brides).
- About 15% of weddings include ethnic customs
- 35% of weddings occur in the summer; 29% in the spring; 23% in the fall; 13% in the winter.
- 11% of winter weddings are Christmas weddings
- $22,000 is the average amount spent on a traditional American wedding
- A total of $72 billion is spent on weddings annually in the U.S.
- $19 billion is spent buying presents at wedding gift registries
- The average amount spent on a bridal gown is $800
- David's Bridal accounts for 20% of all bridal-gown sales, and that percentage is increasing
- The average ring costs $2,000
TOP WEDDING DESTINATIONS:
- Las Vegas (100,000 weddings/year)
- Hawaii (25,000 wedding/year)
- Bahamas (5,000 weddings/year)
- Jamaica (5,000 weddings/year)
- U.S. Virgin Islands (4,000 weddings/year)
OTHER WEDDING STATISTICS
- 80% of traditional weddings are performed in churches or synagogue.
- Four out of five brides are employed.
- There is a 43% chance of a marriage ending in divorce.
- 35% of Brides and Grooms have a valid passport.
- Percentage of couples living together before marriage: 64%
- Percentage of engaged couples who’ve known each other longer than 3 years: 69%
- 166,000: Wedding ceremonies performed annually in Istanbul, Turkey
- Percentage of brides who say they’ll be changing their surnames: 60%
- 93,750: Approximate cost, in dollars, of an average Japanese wedding
- 150,000: Wedding ceremonies conducted in Canada in 2002
- 53% of weddings occur in the afternoon; 31% in the evening; 16% in the morning.
- 30% of receptions are held in churches; 20% in hotels; 20% in country clubs; and 10% each in fraternal halls, private homes, and other locations.
- 38% of weddings have a buffet; 34% have a sit-down dinner; 28% serve only cake and punch.
- 62% of weddings have a flower girl.
- 56% have a ring bearer.
- Brides 18 to 39 receive 85% of all wedding cards.
- More than 4.2 million unmarried couples live together.
- 67% of women continue to wear the same fragrance they wore on their wedding day.
MARRIAGES BY MONTH
- January 4.7%
- February 7.0%
- March 6.1%
- April 7.4%
- May 9.8%
- June 10.8%
- July 9.7%
- August 10.2%
- September 9.6%
- October 9.4%
- November 7.4%
- December 7.8%
WEDDING COSTS BY CATEGORY*
- Reception 28.3%
- Consultant 15.0% (if hired)
- Wedding Rings 11.5%
- Photography/Video 6.6%
- Bridal Gown 6.1%
- Music 5.2%
- Flowers 4.6%
- Bridal attendants' apparel 4.5%
- Rehearsal dinner 4.2%
- Men's formal wear 3.2%
- Invitations 2.8%
- Attendants' gifts 2.1%
- Mother of the bride apparel 1.7%
- Bride's veil 1.6%
- Clergy and ceremony fees 1.2%
- Limousine 0.9%
- Groom's attire 0.8%
Source: Association of Bridal Consultants*
- Among couples who choose a traditional wedding, 99 percent take a honeymoon.
- Couples spend an average of $4,000 on their honeymoon. That's three times as much as the average U.S. adult spends on a vacation.
- The length of an average honeymoon is seven days.
- 45 percent of honeymoon trips are to domestic locations; 55 percent are foreign.
- The Honeymoon Industry is a 12 billion dollar a year industry.
Most Popular Honeymoon Activities:
- Visiting a new place for sightseeing, restaurants, entertainment and nightlife- 75%
- Beaches and lakes - 45%
- Casinos - 20%
- Cruises - 15%
- Golf/sports vacations - 10%
- Skiing trips - 5%
Destinations that are most frequently chosen
- Aruba 8%
- Bahamas 20.2%
- Bermuda 3.1%
- British Virgin Islands 7%
- Caribbean 34%
- Caribbean Islands 6.3%
- The Cayman Islands 10.5%
- Europe 4%
- Hawaii 33%
- Jamaica 17.1%
- Mexico 7%
- Puerto Rico 3.8%
- St. Marten 5.6%
- US Virgin Islands 7%
Places To Stay While On The Honeymoon
- 46.1% Hotel/Motel
- 35.2% Resort
- 20.1% Boat/Ship
- 8.2% Bed and Breakfast/Inn
- 8.9% Other
Transportation Used for Honeymoon
- 76.2% Airplane
- 60% Rent Car
- 16.4% Their Own Car
- 27% Boat/Ship
- 2.7% Railroad