Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Cancun and Playa del Carmen trip review!

We're just finishing up a 5 night trip here and I thought that I'd share some thoughts for anyone considering HM in the area. I know that reading trip reviews always help me decide where to go :)

Cancun: Eh. I don't think I'd ever really consider Cancun a HM destination unless your plan is to go to a big resort and mostly just stay there. Cancun itself is super touristy and, well, stinky... there is nothing like the smell of sewage to wake you up LOL. Our hotel is at the very end of the hotel zone and I'm glad that we're away from some of the crazy noise/nightlife, crowds, stink. That said, if you live somewhere that doesn't have access to a lot of luxury shopping, that might be cool, and if you like the idea of going to a club once or twice, there are plenty of those and lots of fun nightlife to be had here!

The Westin Cancun: There are two Westins in Cancun, we opted for the one at km 20, at the end of the hotel zone. We pretty much just stayed here because, when we booked it, Alaska Vacations had a crazy good deal and we paid $1350 for air/hotel/taxes/etc for 5 nights for both of us. Can't beat that :) So, I didn't do all of my usual TripAdvisor stuff because it was just such a good deal that we figured it couldn't be that bad. And, if you swing a deal like that, it's totally worth it. The grounds here are gorgeous. Two pools, swimming areas in both the lagoon and the ocean, beautiful white sand beaches, multiple restaurants, lots of comfy chairs, etc. I have nothing but good to say about the public/common areas. The rooms are iffy, though. They smell of mildew, stuff is broken, and there is a small amount of mold on lampshades, etc. Also, the only rooms with balconies are the 6th floor (Royal Beach Club, I think). I found out it's only like $35/night more for those rooms and they are nicer/newer, so if you do stay here, go for those! The rooms are large, clean, and nice enough otherwise though. Just not up to Westin standards. However, again, if you catch it on sale, who cares?:)

Playa del Carmen: I think this would really be a great HM destination! It's not too far from the airport (only maybe an hour?), and it's just an adorable little town with a billion cute yummy CHEAP restaurants and little shops. The beaches are also gorgeous. There is even a ferry over to Cozumel. Plus, if you're into the adventure thing, it's close to Xcaret and the ruins at Tulum. Lots to see/do and really cheap delicious food. We spent less today on the best meal we've had, souvenirs, drinks, and gelato than we did at one lunch at the Westin. If you go to PDC, don't go AI! Go to the cute little restaurants!

The only downside of PDC is that the really nice hotels that claim to be in PDC are really a few miles away... so maybe the ideal would be to stay at one of those, rent a car, and explore the town, eat lots of good Mexican food, check out Xcaret and Tulum if that's your thing, etc. I think that's what I'd do if it was my HM.

Anyway, HTH someone :)

Re: Cancun and Playa del Carmen trip review!

• Options
    Thanks for the review, my fiance and I are actually looking into PDC or Belize for our HM, but still can't decide. Our only issue is that we are getting married in August which is the middle of hurricane season. Do you have any advice on this matter, is it really risky? We really love the area and have considered waiting until December to do our HM after I graduate from school, but I really don't want to wait... I am not a patient person :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cancun-playa-del-carmen-trip-review?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:77d2a240-12b9-4679-ad88-28c3d01ba73cPost:96c8a8b1-5334-440c-9115-174bc75210b7">Re: Cancun and Playa del Carmen trip review!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the review, my fiance and I are actually looking into PDC or Belize for our HM, but still can't decide. Our only issue is that we are getting married in August which is the middle of hurricane season. Do you have any advice on this matter, is it really risky? We really love the area and have considered waiting until December to do our HM after I graduate from school, but I really don't want to wait... I am not a patient person :)
    Posted by JheartsA[/QUOTE]

We go to Mexico every December and have stayed in both Cancun & PDC. Weather has always been great and there are less people if you go before the holidays. We are going in 2 weeks and can't wait.
  • Options
    Thank you for such an awesome review! This will help so many Knotties plan.

KA
    Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!
  • Options
    that's so surprising. DH and I go to Cancun every december for our timeshare. we never noticed any smell. we also aren't club people as there are so many great restaurants and lounges around (and frankly after growing up going to manhattan for clubs the ones down there just don't do it for me) LOL.

you're right about the resorts around PDC-which is what I've been telling people for years on here. it might be technically 'in' pdc but it can be far from the town. glad someone else is here to back me up on that!

glad you enjoyed your trip-we're headed to PCD for a week on saturday and then a week up in cancun the following saturday.

• Options
    We stayed in Riviera Maya in October.  That was about an hour from the airport, so I'd say PDC was only 30-45 minutes.  If going to either place - splurge for private transfers!!  We were in a van dropping people off at resorts before ours for about 2 hours!!
    We went to PDC for the day and agree there are awesome restaurants, shops, etc.  The beach is great, and easy access to Cozumel!  We stayed at Aventura Spa Palace in RM and because the Palace resorts let you use facilities at other Palace resorts, we checked out Playacar Palace.  It was nice, right next to shopping, the ferry and on the beach.  That would be a good one to stay at "in" PDC. 
    Just another comment on something pp said-Tulum is a good hour from our resort, so from PDC it'd be closer to 2 hours.  I've heard it is really nice though.  Xcaret is very close though!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards