Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon spots you can take your dog along with you

Hi Knot world,

I dont know if anyone else has been in this same boat but my dog is very attached to me and my fiance. We dont want to have to leave him with family or at a kennel for the entire week we're gone on our honeymoon. Does anyone know of any places in New England where we could take him along with us? We are an active couple, love to hike, walk, go to the beach... pretty much anything. But we also like to have out down time. Any suggestions would be great. Feel free to shoot any questions my way. (Oh yea, the wedding is October 9th. So fall weather.)

Thank you so much!
Casey

Re: Honeymoon spots you can take your dog along with you

• You'd probably have to call the hotels you are looking at to see if they accept dogs. Some do with an extra cost..

But although your dog is really attached to you, you really can't part with it for just one week? Everyone's dogs are really attached to their owners (our 2 dogs are very attached to us) but the thought of taking them on our HM with us, no thanks! They will be fine boarded until you get back..or staying with a family/friend? But I'm sure you've already made up your mind.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of outdoor stuff so it will be easy to take your pup with you, but I'm sure you will also be doing things he can't come along with and then you'd have to figure out what to do with him during those times.
  • cdlnmfcdlnmf member
    First Comment
    We stayed in Vermont, Waterbury actually for a few days last year in these adorable little cabins where we could take the dog. It was very romantic, in the woods and dogs are welcome in lots of places around there I believe.
  • Try looking at VRBO (vacation rental by owner). they are private rentals throughout the world and some allow dogs
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ditto pp's about checking with your hotel in advance, but honestly.. you can't part with your dog for one week? I'm so emotional right now cuz we leave for our HM in 2 weeks and I know I'm going to miss our dog like crazy, but FI keeps reminding me we'll be on our HM and in a tropical paradise and we should not be taking our dog with us. It'll be nice to have a vacation away from everything.. including feeding our dog and taking it on walks.

We also refuse to put our dog in a kennel so my brother will be dog-sitting for us. Last time we went on vacation, FI's aunt graciously watched our dog for us. Try asking trustworthy friends and/or family members to watch your dog so you know it'll be in good hands and you can have a relaxing and worry-free HM with your new DH.
  • HH78HH78 member
    First Comment
    Vermont is very dog friendly.  I've taken my dog hiking in the state parks up there (on leash if other people are around).  And you can take them to outdoor patios at restaurants like Long Trail Brewing, though it may not have patio seating in October.  Burlington is also very pretty and the restaurants on Church St all have outdoor seating in the summer.  You see tons of dogs walking around downtown Burlington.  You could do a nice driving tour across VT, hitting Woodstock, Queche Gorge, Ben & Jerry's, Burlington.  You can probably book a couple of B&B's, just research ahead of time to make sure they allow dogs.
  • I could understand why you may want you dog with you but IMO they are like kids and I would not want my kids on my HM.  My baby is staying at my house with his grandpa and grandma who are also housesitting and watching our cat and fish for us.  He loves to visit with his grandpa so I'm not worried about it.  He goes with us everywhre else so HM is my time with FI. 
  • If you are HM out of the states the dog has to go through quarantine & everything else when you go thru customs & come back, we tlked to a couple who brought their dog on vaca and said it was a big mess.
    We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love
  • a) You're clearly not talking about taking your dog out of the states, so that post is irrelevant
    b) You've already decided to take your dog, so what's with people dissing on your decision??

Our dog is a part of our family, and we would absolutely take him with us if we could. We've taken him across the country to visit family before and will continue to do so as long as he is physically able. Why leave the dog behind if you know you'll be happier with him/her there??

If you're flying, have your vet prescribe medication for your dog to slow their system down that day. Travel can be stressful for them, and a pill for each flight should help avoid accidents and anxiety.
  • There are lots of Dog friendly places in New England.
    There is a amazing book you can get on Amazon and totally worth the $13.95 or whatever it is, but it is called the dog lovers companion book of New England or something?  It is great, has places to stay, eat, hike, beaches, etc. all with your dog.  Places that come to mind is Woodstock Vermont, Camden Maine, etc.. 
    VT is super dog friendly, and lots of hiking, it just depends on what you want to do etc.. It may be harder to get a room in October because of the fall leaves... Lots of places book up early.
    I would get that book and scope it out it has tons of places I never even knew about and I am from Boston.
    Also check out these websites if you haven't already :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards