• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
October 2011 Weddings

changing display name

When I made my display name (or whatever it's called..)  I didn't know about these discussion boards, or else I would not have used my last name. 

Well, I would like to continue with the discussion boards when we move to the nest, and hopefully then the bump.  But I don't like the idea of using such an obvious name (incase family / coworkers / friends see it.. who I sometimes vent about, ha). 

Do you think I should create a new account, which would delete all my current stuff, and make a new one?  For one, its my maiden name, for two I don't like my last name on there.

What do you think...

Re: changing display name

• I'm not sure. I thought about changing mine because while its not my whole maiden last name, it is part of it. It's my old college email username. If I do come across someone I know, they would most likely be able to figure out its me. But then I realized my avatar and signature are also pictures of me, so it seemed pointless.

I don't tend to mention people I know IRL that often either, though, so I'm not too worried about someone seeing something.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I don't know the answer to this question. I use leapinglissy for pretty much everything like this now, and I have been doing that for several years -- for this very reason. If you have to create a new account, you could put a link to the posts from your old account so people you've "met" here would remember you.  As long as you don't disable the old account. Not the best solution, I know. I'm sure you're not the first person to ask this question. Have you searched around?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_changing-display-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:650Discussion:ab7e4ccb-773c-4193-b917-bf9ea29a2d0cPost:d351534e-cd46-43ea-85a9-b6634ac1cd9b">Re: changing display name</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure. I thought about changing mine because while its not my whole maiden last name, it is part of it. It's my old college email username. If I do come across someone I know, they would most likely be able to figure out its me.<strong> But then I realized my avatar and signature are also pictures of me, so it seemed pointless.</strong> I don't tend to mention people I know IRL that often either, though, so I'm not too worried about someone seeing something.
    Posted by hbatchel2[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I also don't think anyone who knows you is going to stalk you and read every post you have. You could also make everything private so they can't look at past posts. JIC</div>
  • I thought about changing mine bc I don't want to be lumped into the same category as people who call themselves princess. I swear I'm not a pompous ass, my names not even Jane. It's just H's nickname for me, after the Bob Dylan tune. Meh.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_changing-display-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:650Discussion:ab7e4ccb-773c-4193-b917-bf9ea29a2d0cPost:e303c715-2b51-4d60-9aa8-33dcdb4c34ca">Re: changing display name</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought about changing mine bc I don't want to be lumped into the same category as people who call themselves princess. I swear I'm not a pompous ass, my names not even Jane. It's just H's nickname for me, after the Bob Dylan tune. Meh.
    Posted by Queen Jane[/QUOTE]

lol....I sometimes reffer to myself as a princess.....MAINLY because that is one of the meanings of my name, so, I think I'm entitled.....see what I did there? :-P (I can legally call myself a Scottish lady since through a chrity, I own conservation land in Scotland, which legally makes me a Scottish Lady)

I've used BluValkyrie for everything since 2004; which I why I used it here....I see no reason to change it for said reason.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_changing-display-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:650Discussion:ab7e4ccb-773c-4193-b917-bf9ea29a2d0cPost:41c4dfcb-93aa-4e20-bc15-b93b2c9a2787">Re: changing display name</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: changing display name : lol....I sometimes reffer to myself as a princess.....MAINLY because that is one of the meanings of my name, so, I think I'm entitled.....see what I did there? :-P (I can legally call myself a Scottish lady since through a chrity, I own conservation land in Scotland, which legally makes me a Scottish Lady) I've used BluValkyrie for everything since 2004; which I why I used it here....I see no reason to change it for said reason.
    Posted by BluValkyrie[/QUOTE]

I sometimes refer to myself as a princess, but....oh wait, I have no excuse :o)

This is my e-mail address and user name for a lot of stuff since high school, so why change it now?  Even though it includes my maiden name, my friends still call me JoBell, so whatevs.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Mine contains my maiden name as well. It's my email address and login for everything. I thought about switching it early on, but this is easy to remember and no one is going to know it's my maiden name unless I tell them.

Untitled Untitled
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image TTC#1 since July 2012
  • Yeah my name is my email and username for most things too. I wish I had picked something that wasn't my email since my family and H's family know my email, but too late now... I don't really expect any of them to come on here though. I don't have much to hide except that I probably complain a lot :P
  • i thought about changing mine too. i decided to make it private that way i can talk on the boards freely wo stalkers. lol
    Married: 10/01/11 Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • How do you make it private? And what does it make private?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_changing-display-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:650Discussion:ab7e4ccb-773c-4193-b917-bf9ea29a2d0cPost:e81490d3-450e-4b9e-a780-39e30edb8a82">Re: changing display name</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you make it private? And what does it make private?
    Posted by LAURENFOLEY[/QUOTE]

I was wondering that too...
  • There isnt a way to make posts private? You can click the little magnifying glass under anyone's post and see everything they've ever posted. I'm pretty positive there is no way to make that private.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I guess you could create sort of an alter ego and keep the old account too? I use my name for most everything too - not too worried about people "finding" me and whatnot...:-)
  • There is a setting for private. Mine is private, you can't look up old posts. I was afraid of mil finding me Hahaa.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_changing-display-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:650Discussion:ab7e4ccb-773c-4193-b917-bf9ea29a2d0cPost:b290a11c-a2f8-439b-919e-33555d58dbe8">Re: changing display name</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is a setting for private. Mine is private, you can't look up old posts. I was afraid of mil finding me Hahaa.
    Posted by Queen Jane[/QUOTE]

How do you do that?  I was trying to figure that out on the account page, but it kept sending me around in circles!
  • edited January 2012
    Click update profile. click settings, and then it allows you to click my posts, so that people can't see back posts. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_changing-display-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:650Discussion:ab7e4ccb-773c-4193-b917-bf9ea29a2d0cPost:2ba50ca3-78ed-4cf3-9d2e-5a6979e510c2">Re: changing display name</a>:
    [QUOTE]Click update profile. click settings, and then it allows you to click my posts, so that people can't see back posts. 
    Posted by Nattie24[/QUOTE]

But when I click the magnifying glass under your post, I can see/find any old thing you've posted.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards