• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
October 2011 Weddings

Oct 8 '11 Humorous Vent, Rant, Whatever you call it.

Ok-I’m trying to find a better way to explain myself within this post but having trouble finding the right wording so take this with a grain of salt. Note I may sound like I am pouting, jealous, crazy or any other negative thing you can name and I promise I really am not. I am your average Midwestern down to earth school teacher.

So I didn’t really get depressed after our wedding day. With the “magic” of the day being over I was excited for the honeymoon. So happy that I didn’t have to run any more errands or make phone calls or plan anything else. So happy I didn’t ever have to stand up in front of so many people ever again, happy about a lot of things(being married obviously!!!). But…

What I did feel though was anger. I just got mad. Did any of you get mad? Over wedding day issues that may have occurred?  But I feel guilty for being mad because nobody died or got sick-just enough little things happened that bring me to the point.   I wanted everything to be perfect and run smooth and it was not so. I even gave myself a little coaching because I knew problems were going to happen but I never expected what did happen. Do I bring up how mad I am every day or every week? No I don’t. But I do get touchy when the topic swirls around weddings, wedding planning, engagements, etc no matter whom I with.  Now I feel in competition and I DON’T even WANT to be it just bubbles up. I am NOT the type of person that can't be happy for other's either-just right now I am getting stuck behind my own stupid mental block.

Can I vent please? Do any of you have coping strategies? I know focusing on the good stuff is a great coping mechanism but I still get frustrated. I think I get so upset is because I don’t have a second chance to go back and change it.(I’ve always needed a second chance all my life, even with dying Easter eggs or carving pumpkins when I was little…never got it quite right the first time around…) Now that I have done all the planning and went through with it all I would LOVE to go back and change a few things....

Any ways from start to finish:

We(note we means FMIL) invited too many people hubby and I didn’t care about, the RSVP’s were mess with getting lost in the mail and we set for 250 expected guests and only 200 showed. Our reception hall looked empty because of all the open space and empty tables. Our fault was not sensoring the guest list from either families to narrow it down.

The chicken was pink and dinner served 15 minutes late (I had to tell them to start serving the food after everyone just started staring around at each other like where’s the food?) In our contract it said salads would be served promptly at 6:30.

None of the guests witnessed the cake cutting, neither of our parents did. Just the photographer BECAUSE the microphone volume was set too low by the dj and so nobody heard what was going on when it was announced. Hubby and I were the only two who heard the wedding party speeches because of this problem as well.

My hair color was faded. I had colored it professionally the week before but it wasn’t toned well and it looks like little house and the prairie hair. And my dress was too big so my armpit pudge was out for show all day. Granted I lost too much weight so that was my “fault” (and back fired anyway because I still get comments on how “disgusting” I looked. Well I gained 20lbs back, I hope everyone’s happy!) Last about ME; my face was a hot mess between blemishes, oil and flaking skin (never had I had all three issues at once) so my makeup had to be caked on. Sister so lovingly told me I looked like crap while lining up to walk down the aisle.

Hubby’s face broke out in a rash before the rehearsal so his face was puffy and sore looking on the wedding day. His beard( or 5' o'clock shadow) was un even. This has ALSO never happened before. The tuxedo’s looked like black trash bags. Something was wrong with the pants and shoulders of the jackets but every man wearing one just looked awful with a shrunken head.

The usher’s were in la la land when seating our guests. We had reserved 4 rows for family. My parents, hubby’s parents and all grandparents were in the first pew and then there was 3 empty pews right in front. The ushers sat the guests, family members included in the side pews. It’s almost embarrassing to look at the photos.

Note hubby and I paid and planned for the entire wedding ourselves.  This should make me feel proud that was even capable of handling and hosting an event of that size but I am actually embarrassed by it all…How can I make “light” of these???? I want to get over it so bad so I CAN go to weddings and not feel miserable about my own. I think my perfectionism came back and bit me in the butt and it just plain sucks.

Re: Oct 8 '11 Humorous Vent, Rant, Whatever you call it.

• You got married, right? That's the important part.
  • I did have something happen on my wedding day that made me angry for a couple of days. But it's over now, we're married, and we had a ton of fun. And honestly, the thing that made me so mad is a non-issue now. Because I decided to let it go. It's a decision you have to make -- let go of the bad, hold on to the good.

In short, I think the best coping strategy that I can offer is to focus on the positive things. One of the positive things is the fact that despite all of the little things that went wrong, you married (hopefully) the love of your life. And hey, you now have "the wedding from hell" story to tell. Get a laugh out of it. That's all you can really do.
  • Some of these things sound like they could have been avoidable and/or fixed on the spot, but........it was (at least) 2 months ago. You are (still) married (I assume). Try to focus on the positives. Oh, and your sister sounds like an ass. I'd be pissed as hell on that one.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2011-weddings_oct-8-11-humorous-vent-rant-whatever-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:650Discussion:fc02484e-35de-44c9-8eac-558364ce8e35Post:11e44180-ae07-4c6a-92af-ba99f42183b5">Re: Oct 8 '11 Humorous Vent, Rant, Whatever you call it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did have something happen on my wedding day that made me angry for a couple of days. But it's over now, we're married, and we had a ton of fun. And honestly, the thing that made me so mad is a non-issue now. Because I decided to let it go. It's a decision you have to make -- let go of the bad, hold on to the good. In short, I think the best coping strategy that I can offer is to focus on the positive things.<strong> One of the positive things is the fact that despite all of the little things that went wrong, you married (hopefully) the love of your life. And hey, you now have "the wedding from hell" story to tell. Get a laugh out of it. That's all you can really do.</strong>
    Posted by leapinglissy[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>Laugh about it and move on. Don't let it ruin your life/marriage.</div>
  • Sorry I haven't responded yet-been busy with school and winter report cards. I am naturally a fixer and tend to dwell on imperfections. Yes a lot of these errors could have been corrected closer to the day we got married. We did take care of the food one and was able to get 400.00 back from the caterer.
    Being married is great-but nothing magical or unexpected. We didn't move into a new house  and we aren't planning for children anytime soon so we kind of just settled back into our regular lives after the wedding day.
    I do feel better for getting this out and seeking out perspectives even if from strangers. I try not to bring it up because I don't want people to think I was more into the wedding day than the marriage because it can come off as that.
    I just needed validation that I am not the worst person in the world for not being a starry eyed newly wed or floating on a magical wedding day cloud.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards