Honeymoon Discussions

Question for those who got first issue passports this year....

What is the definition of "full name" of parents that is required on birth certificates (as of April 2011) to get a passport?

For example, must it say John Richard Smith or can it say John R Smith?

Mine was issued in 2005, and meets all the requirements....thats the only thing I'm worried about.  I don't want to have to order a new one and pay the $$ and wait for two weeks if I don't have to.

Everywhere I find information it just says "full name".

Did anyone use a birth certificate with just middle initial and not have a problem?
I'm thinking that the intent is to show that the month's last name needs to be there and not just he married couples names jointly.

TIA!

Re: Question for those who got first issue passports this year....

• edited January 2012
    It must be what it says, the parents full names: first, full middle and last. If it does not have the requirements, you must get a new one. On the travel.state.gov website it gives you the website to get a new birth certificate. I just looked at dh's birth certificate ( he had a birth record and had to get a birth certificate) which he got in '07 and his meets the requirements. Mine of 1975 does not. When we got his in '07 I think it was only about $26 and the process was very easy.
  • Do you already have a passport?  If you are just ordering a new one you do not need to submit  a birth certificate again.
  • No I have never had one. The last time I went to Mexico they weren't required. I have researched but can't find a definiton of full name. I know a lot of legal docments do middle initial anyway so would like to avoid taking time off work an extra time to go request a birth certificate since its expensive to order online.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards