November 2011 Weddings

Is this normal?

Or am I the weird one? Did any of you try on wedding dresses before you were engaged? A friend posted pics on FB wearing a wedding dress.  I would think nothing of it except for the fact that this girl is absolutely obsessed with getting engaged and getting married. 

Is trying on a dress before the ring a common thing?

Visit The Nest! image
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Is this normal?

• DH surprised me by taking me to the jewelry store (I totally thought the surprise was taking me to lunch..) and telling me to pick out a ring. That was May 2010 and he ended up proposing in August. I never tried on a dress between those months, however, I would find that "okay" since I knew it was coming. But I think it makes more sense to be engaged. 

My sister browsed dresses online before being engaged, which I think is totally normal. 

So to answer your question, yes, I think it's weird. 
  • Ummm it is weird. I wouldn't try on a dress before I was engaged. I think that makes you look crazy. And how would you respond when the saleslady was like "Oh, when's the wedding?" "Oh well, he hasn't proposed yet, but I just know it is coming soon!!!!"
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2011-weddings_this-normal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:651Discussion:64fdd5c9-3219-4084-8dff-f3ff846606dePost:3bfa3e43-d32c-4881-be53-72d34aef1b47">Re: Is this normal?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ummm it is weird. I wouldn't try on a dress before I was engaged. I think that makes you look crazy. And how would you respond when the saleslady was like "Oh, when's the wedding?" "Oh well, he hasn't proposed yet, but I just know it is coming soon!!!!"
    Posted by Juris11[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm sure salespeople have sadly heard this before, haha. Or someone telling the salesperson their wedding date (which is in 5 years or something)</div>
  • When I saw the pics this morning, my immediate thought was "does she realize how crazy this makes her look?" I couldn't even make an innocent comment on the picture because I knew whatever I said would come out douchey.  Even if this was supposed to be a joke, which maybe it is, it still screams "crazy in aisle 2!"
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think that's totally crazy. I have seen on SYTTD a couple girls who go to the sales and buy a dress before they're engaged, some don't even have a BF. Sooo.. imagine when she gets into a relationship and then has to reveal that she already owns a dress. "Jus in case" or whatever. WEIRD!!! I think guys should run away from girls like that.

And I too have tried on things I had no itention of buying, things I have no occasion for or just can't afford just for fun. But not a wedding dress. 

I think it's a little weird to obsess about weddings and look at wedding stuff online, unless you know that the engagement is coming or have at least had a talk about it with your BF. Like I looked at rings and had told him things I like, and I didn't know when the proposal was coming but we had talked seriously about marriage already. We bought a house together almost a year before we were engaged, and we've been together almost 10 years, so of course it's come up.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • Call me crazy, but I tried on one like 3 years before we got engaged. Just to be clear here is the story:

I went with DH's sister to try on dresses for her Quince, and the store we went to had a couple wedding dresses. We had joked around that some of the wedding dresses looked like Quince dresses, and that she should try one on. She was like  "No way, I'm not getting married anytime soon, but you might! YOU should try it on!" So I was like "OK, if you say so!" So I tried on the wedding dress, she tried on the Quince dress and we came out at the same time, and laughed because we both looked rediculous.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • AG - You might be a little crazy ;) but it sounds like you were just doing it to have fun, not because you were wedding-obsessed. I might let that one slide. Especially since it wasn't your intended purpose of the shopping outing with your SIL.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • If she were trying it on for fun I would think it were OK, but to be seriously shopping before getting engaged I would definitely find it odd. I saw an episode of "Say Yes To The Dress" Where the lady was dress shopping just because she wanted to and she brought her boyfriend with. She was totally open with the camera that she wasn't engaged yet and didn't think it was coming or anything but she really want to start dress shopping. The catch was the boyfriend had a ring picked out and planned on proposing when she finally said yes to the dress. I thought the entire episode was very odd.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • edited January 2012
    Okay, can I just say thank you for posting this?

My cousin is completely wedding obsessed. She was actually engaged once, but that didn't work out. So she has that wedding dress in her closet. HOWEVER, she also has another one that she purchased after the wedding had been cancelled.

She is always making comments about how she's wedding planning, and she IS dating somebody. He seems completely uninterested. During our family Christmas gift exchange she got a bank and actually yelled out "Hey we can start saving for a honeymoon!" He was less than amused.

She has also already had the boyfriend's SIL (whom she refers to as her future SIL) take pics of her in one of the dresses, like bridal pics. She says they were to build the girl's portfolio, which I might have believed if not for the other stuff.

Today, she has about 3 pics (also taken by this girl) on fb that are CLEARLY e pics, even though there is no ring.

But wait, there actually IS a ring. She has one (as do her sisters) because when my grandfather died, their mother picked out a band with side stones for each of them from his jewelry store. That probably sounds weird if you aren't emotionally attached, but basically he was a jeweler and he's done work on or made everyone's rings, so she wanted them to have something. I'm sure he's been told that , but SHOCKINGLY he still isn't asking.

Sorry my post is so long, clearly I get really irritated by her. In short, yes it's completely crazy. Yes, if she is dating somebody he should run for the hills.
    Anniversary
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Cocktail:White Russian
    Photobucket
  • Not only did I not try on dresses before we were engaged, I didn't try on any dresses until after we had SET A DATE!  We had been engaged for 7 months before I ever set foot in a bridal shop.  I looked online, sure, but even that wasn't serious until the date was set.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • a friend of mine went to a wedding show for fun with some friends and she tried on a hideous dress.  I saw pics.  It was hilarious.
    Anniversary

imageimage
  • I agree with browsing dresses online. Could be because I did that. But trying them on....then POSTING the picture on Facebook?!?! Wow. That's a bit much.

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • Cara - that's crazy. I give props to her man for not giving in though. 
  • I had a friend that purchased her dress before she was engaged!  lol.

No I did not and I would think anybody who tried on dresses before hand is a looney person.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards