November 2011 Weddings

Picking Out H's Clothes-Question based on CC

So this girl was asking about getting her FI to go clothes shopping, and he was being a total brat, so not quite related, but apparently it is some kind of sin to pick out your H's clothes for him?

I don't really get it. I like to go shopping and love fashion, H doesn't, he takes forever when we go together because he wants to look nice and feels like he has no fashion sense. Is it truly that weird for me to buy him clothes? My mom always bought my dad clothes, so maybe I am biased. But I don't get how it is treating my H like a child to buy him a couple of shirts when I am at the mall?

Am I taking crazy pills here?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*

Re: Picking Out H's Clothes-Question based on CC

• Well, if buying my H clothing is a sin, than I am going to hell. LOL

H hates shopping too. He'll go if he has to, but doesn't like to shop. He does know what he likes though. I am happy to shop for him, and without changing his personal style too much, I buy clothes for him on a regular basis. I don't see the problem with that. I guess I agree you shouldn't dictate what he's wearing, like completely changing his personal style (unless he wants you to), but I have steered his clothing in a better direction by getting things myself. Like buying him nicer jeans than he would pick out for himself, or something like that. I don't buy him colors he doesn't like, and if I buy something he really doesn't like, I'll return it.

I guess my view is as long as it isn't forced and your H hates shopping anyway, I don't get what the big deal is.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • Well H would never behave like her FI and throw a fit in the store, that is just crazy.

I'm glad to know others buy their H clothes. I don't know, I mean I like shopping and buying him things (in 5 Love Languages terms, I am Gifts). He thinks I have good style and that I can pick out better things that he can. I just didn't understand the strong opposition that got in that thread?

For me, it is more of an excuse to go to the mall :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2011-weddings_picking-out-hs-clothes-question-based-cc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:651Discussion:9847c3bc-e7ba-4aab-8745-d877cce49cf8Post:e2b9d936-c61b-43e4-aad0-cf61c2960dae">Re: Picking Out H's Clothes-Question based on CC</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well H would never behave like her FI and throw a fit in the store, that is just crazy. I'm glad to know others buy their H clothes. I don't know, I mean I like shopping and buying him things (in 5 Love Languages terms, I am Gifts). He thinks I have good style and that I can pick out better things that he can. I just didn't understand the strong opposition that got in that thread? <strong>For me, it is more of an excuse to go to the mall :)</strong>
    Posted by Juris11[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I enjoy shopping, and he complains I have too many clothes, so I consider it a win-win. I get to shop, and HE gets the clothes. </div>
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • I do buy things for H, but he is really picky. He's totally colorblind, so he only wears about four colors, and is convinced that things from certain stores just don't fit him. 
    So I rarely successfully pick something out for him, but if I see just the right thing, I will buy it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I think it's sort of weird if someone buys their H's entire wardrobe all of the time, but if you are already out shopping and come across an item that you think they'd like (or something that you know they need), I definitely don't see anything wrong with picking it up for them.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2011-weddings_picking-out-hs-clothes-question-based-cc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:651Discussion:9847c3bc-e7ba-4aab-8745-d877cce49cf8Post:c2be6a0d-7b03-4bc5-9457-2a8066abbe01">Re: Picking Out H's Clothes-Question based on CC</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's sort of weird if someone buys their H's entire wardrobe all of the time, but if you are already out shopping and come across an item that you think they'd like (or something that you know they need), I definitely don't see anything wrong with picking it up for them.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

Mostly it is just shirts. H needs to try on jeans and shoes and what have you. Socks and underwear, sometimes it is like "I am going to Walmart do you need anything?" "Socks"

I do think it makes a difference how picky you are. For H, whatever socks are fine. I like mine a certain height, etc.
  • I don't think my H would have enough clothes to get through the work week if I didn't buy him clothes. He wears his jeans until there are ginormous holes in the back, front, pockets, everywhere and he still wears them! I will then pick up new jeans, he wears the exact same ones in mass quantities for work, when I am at the mall. I then have to throw away the ones with holes when I do the wash and put the new ones on  the shelf.

He is just one of those guys who thinks, eh they are work clothes who cares. H is a general contractor and owns his own company so in all reality they just get disgusting again in a few days. But he does know if I ever buy him something he doesn't care for or that doesn't fit, I have the receipt and it is A-OK to return it.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • H is a big guy (6' 6") so it's sometimes difficult to find clothes that fit (particularly sleeves) and he doesn't care about shopping. If he could wear shorts/sweatpants and t-shirts everyday, he would. If I'm already out shopping and see something that I like that I think he'd like (looks nice but still looks comfy..), I'll buy it but give him the receipt and tell him that I wouldn't be offended if he returned it. 

Fwiw, 
    1) He owned one pair of jeans when we started dating. And he rarely wore them. 
    2) He did not own any khakis. 
    3) He went to Macy's for the first time ever 2 weeks ago (because we had gift cards).

I've definitely helped upgrade his wardrobe, and he's more than okay with it. He has come to realize that even though sweatpants + hoodies are the MOST comfy, other clothes can still be comfy too. 
  • I have purchased H 3 shirts in our entire 5 years together...and that's it.  He wears these "track suit" (basically a jogging/work outfit but not in windbreaker material).  Anywho...he wears that about 50% of the time, 40% is work uniform, then 10% jeans and a shirt...I'm pretty sure he has about 7 different shirts in his closet and that's it.

Needless to say I don't shop for him or pick him up anything mainly because I know it will be a waste of money.  If he dressed "up" more occasionally I might be more inclined and have no remorse on it (nor do I think he would care that much).
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • I shop for Dan, but only if something is on sale...I never buy him anything full price! For example, if Banana Republic polos are on sale for $10, I'll pick up four or five of them, since he basically wears one every day during the spring and summer.  Dress shirts I don't buy normally, since he's a little picky about them, and jeans I won't buy because he has to have a certain fit and I have to draw the line somewhere! 

But khakis and sweaters- if I find a sale, you'd bet I'll be buying them!  We take a trip to Macy's/Kohl's two or three times a year and he stocks up.  Sometimes he'll ask me to pick up a new belt or wallet for him, if he knows I'm going shopping, but that's a once-a-year thing too!
  • H REFUSES to buy clothes unless I help him pick them out.  He says he buys things he ends up not liking.
    Anniversary

imageimage
  • We are deffinatly jeans and t-shirt kind of people! Niether of us like shopping much. But on the rare occasion that I have to go I pick up what ever H needs.

He is supper easy to shop for! t-shirts, polo's and relaxed fit jeans, oh and I cant forget the hoodies! I think he has 10 or 15 darn hoodies and he wears them daily. When I do laudry I have 2 loads of just his hoodies. Part of that is that he can't get cold and we live in MI(right now I think its 29).

When he was hurt in Iraq, it was a crush injury and his right arm gives him alot of problems if he gets cold. He keep the heat and like 78 in the house and still wears a hoodie.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards