November 2011 Weddings

photographer changed prices on me

I think I'm going to get the short end of the stick on this one, but I wanted to hear what you ladies thought. Back when I first signed with my photographer, she told me by email that the dvd with wedding photos would be $300. It wasn't part of the package and was something that she told me could be purchased after the wedding. I still have the email from last December. Well now she's telling me that the disc is $500. I nicely mentioned that maybe her prices changed, but that I have the email from December where she told me $300. I was really nonconfrontational about it because I don't want to come off as the difficult bride or that I'm trying to take money from her business. She has been really wonderful on everything else so far.

But now I've just received an email back where she's basically implying that yes, her prices changed, and that my total will be $532 after tax for the disc.

I'm going to have to pay $500, aren't I?
image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Vacation

Re: photographer changed prices on me

• When she gave you the $300 price, did you exchange any other emails regarding that back and forth, such as confirming that you would be purchasing it or something to that nature? Something like that might be able to imply you had a verbal (email written) contract, and you could take her to court. I'm not sure taking someone to court over $200 is worthwhile though. :/ That is BS but I think you are stuck.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • I'm at work right now, so I don't think I can pull up my contract. I'm almost positive that she wrote on the contract that there is the option available for us to buy the disc, but the price wasn't written on it. We did talk in depth about what's included on the disc when we were chatting through email, but I believe she only mentioned the price once.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Vacation
  • Even if she only mentioned the price once, if you talked about it back and forth that is something. You could put all the info together when you're home and write her back showing what was dicussed, and that you are considering taking legal action if she doesn't abide by her original price. Sometimes just the threat is enough. But then again, if she refuses, taking someone to small claims court over $200 isn't the best idea. The court fees alone will be close to that and it makes it not worth it, so you end up paying full *new* price for the disc anyway. Sorry that's not really helpful, but maybe you can at least get her to work with you if you point out the multiple emails where you discussed the discs. Or, if her contract itself says that you locked in her price/s for that time. GL :/
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • The email may be enough CCW. I would forward her that email she sent you quoting the price and let her know, nicely, that you will be paying the $300 price since that is what you were quoted when making the deal.

But I do agree that small claims court for $200 is probably not cost-effective, especially time-wise.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • Another thought-does your contract state anywhere that her prices may be subject to change?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • Wow!!!!!!  Not ok.  She told you it was going to be $300, and you have it in writing (even though it's only an email).  Therefore, she should honor the $300 charge, not her new fees.  That is really bad for business on her part.  I'm sorry about that. Frown
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I would forward the email to her and just let her know you are a little confused and if she is willing to maybe split the difference/meet you half way. 

When I booked our photog I mentioned to her that I did not want the e-pic session (that came with the package) and would like to exchange it for TTD session she said it was fine. In that same conversation I told her I was getting ready to send STD's so she asked for us to come over to take a couple 'quick' pictures so we could use on the STD's, well the 'quick' session ended up being about an hour which I was a little frustrated because I didn't want the e-pics I wanted the TTD.  Well of course a couple months before the wedding we started talking about the TTD and she acted like it was the first time hearing it I started to get concern (if I would have known she would have considered that a e-pic session then I wouldn't have gone and/or scheduled a longer time).  So I waited for a month or so then sent her an email asking her "I was just curious if we would be able to do a 'quick' TTD session since we did a 'quick' e-pic session".  She said yes and we didn't get charged. 

The point of that long story was, I would just ask, lol. :o)
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Also, we changed her prices as well, but she did honor all her original quotes.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Ditto Spike.

Our photographer completely revamped the packages he offered after we signed our contract with him so he no longer offered the photo book, and a few other things which we had discussed and came with the package we selected. He was awesome with working with us as to what would be included for the price we paid and we ended up paying only $200 more for the rights to all of our photo's, including e-pics, and he stayed and photographed the first dance which was not part of our original package.

I understand that they change sometimes but she should be honoring her original prices with you. I would definitely be firm with her since you have it in an email that $300 is what you will be paying for the disc.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    image image
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • In Response to Re: photographer changed prices on me:
    I agree w everyone! You def. need to pass e mail correspondence to her and let her know that is what she offered. I understand prices go up. My photographers told me the prices and when the new year came I called back and the prices increased. BUT I told them my budget and what i wanted and they were able to work w it and give me what I wanted. Also I would mention legal actions. She wrote a price and should honor it.  BUT make sure this was not her 2010 pricing....they all usually go up or adjust prices every year. See if she can meet you halfway since you were a GREAT customer and has given her high recommendations to others.... Good Luck!!
    Posted by valytrice
    This
    Follow Me on Pinterest image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is the indication of poor business sense, on her part.

Our DJs changed their pricing and were running a special on the photobooth, but we had booked over a year before the wedding, under a different price. They actually offered us the new discount, even without us asking/mentioning it, because they changed the price.  They have good business practices.

My MUA, who was a complete mess, changed prices on me about 3 times. I had emails, but it didn't seem worth it to bring it up to her for ten-twenty bucks.  For two hundred, I would.

Forward her the email with an explanation that you were confused about the two hundred dollar jump, considering you were quoted $300.  If she says no, I would report her to the BBB. Sometimes just the notification that you've reported them will prompt them to honor their former agreement.  GL and let us know what happens!
  • It sucks because she's essentially trying to extort an extra $200 out of you by holding your pictures hostage, which is not okay.  I would send a polite, professional, but FIRM email stating that you agreed to hire her for her services under her pricing that your images would only be $300 and that, as a decent business person, you expect her to honor her original pricing.  If she refuses, I would inform her that you will be reporting her to the BBB and including her poor business practices in every vendor review you write.
    Anniversary
  • ^All of that

Also, and unfortunately, the specific wording in the email could make a difference.  Example: If she emailed something firm like "discs are $300", then you have her.  If she emailed soft wording like "currenlty I charge $300 for the disc", then it implies that the price changes at times. 

Now if she was really smart, she'd include pricing in her contract, and no one would  have to deal with crap like this.  But if she was really smart, she wouldn't be doing this to you to begin with.
    image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards