November 2011 Weddings

So, we're building a house (PIPs)

Yesterday DH and I met with his mom (our realtor) and the realtor for a local builder to sign all the contracts and put in the official offer for our new house that we're having built. It will be our first home and we are so blessed to be building it from the ground up. We even get to pick the grout between the bricks, lol. I can't wait to start picking cabinet colors and countertops, etc. It's an adorable little cottage-style patio home.  The only awkward thing is that our apartment lease ends 8/1 and the best case scenario for completion of the house is 7/31.  Umm.... Lol.  Anyway, here's the floorplan.

image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: So, we're building a house (PIPs)

• That looks awesome!!! Post pictures of the progress!!!

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • Congrats!  Looks great!  I would ask your leasing agent if you can switch to a monthly basis after your lease ends.
    someecards.com - Sorry the America you fought for became a place that created a Justin Bieber movie
  • I agree with Snoopy, most of the time an apartment complex will let you pay for an additional month without signing a new lease, especially if they know you'll be moving out.

As for the house, that is so exciting! The floor plan and the idea of picking it all out personally makes me jealous :) Congratulations and I hope you have a LOT of fun!
    Anniversary
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Cocktail:White Russian
    Photobucket
  • Congratulations, did you design your floor plan too? I love all the closet space in the master bedroom, and porch access. I love it! 

I was going to suggest the same thing as Diana, ask for a month-to-month lease for August, usually places will work with you if you ask now, and know you are moving.

Please share the progress, do you pick out all the finishes/fixtures now, or as you go? I don't know how it all works when you build your own, but it's something we'd love to potentially do in the future. 
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • We did not design the floorplan, we picked it from the builder's stash.  The real treat was that they already have a house in this exact floorplan built and up for sale, so we got to walk through and see what our house will look like.  :D

The offer we put in goes to the builder on Monday, and once that is accepted, their realtor calls me to set up a "decorator's meeting."  That will be when we decide what wall the cable hookup is on in the living room, what wood to use for the cabinets, what kind of countertops we want, etc.

We will be asking our leasing office about staying an extra month when we give notice that we are moving out at the end of our lease.  We have to give 60 days notice at this complex - which is really stupid in my opinion, but I digress - which will be June 1.  Hopefully we will know more about the progress of the house by then as well.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Congrats! How exciting. We really want to build from the ground up for our next house. :) Keep us updated on the progress and post lots of pics.
  • Oooooh exciting!!! I think it would be so fun to sit down and pick out all the finishes and whatnot right from the start!! Congrats!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • That sounds like so much fun! 

Good luck with making choices, and with negotiating thigns with your apartment complex!

• That's so exciting! You will find that picking out finishes is very stressful.  It took me a month and a half to finally pull the trigger on ordering a toilet, vanity, and shower.  And then another month for the tile.  It's exciting and fun, but making sure that everything is perfect and fit your needs is very daunting.  Good luck! I really like your floor plan.

H and I have been entertaining the idea of buying land in NH or ME for a potential second home.  However, I'm not seeing anything worthwhile now. 
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Congrats!  I agree with PP. I just closed on a house on Friday, and our lease ended at the end of February.  I contacted my realtor in December, which was when I had to give 60 days notice, and let them know that I didn't intend to continue the lease but that we didn't know where we were going yet (we didn't make offer until February) but that we knew we were going to buy and didn't want to stay at the apartment for a whole year.  So they allowed us to go month to month with 30 days notice.  It's better for them too because they know they'll have income in that apt for at least one month rather than having it sit empty.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures as it goes up.  I always think its amazing how fast houses go up.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    my read shelf:
    Savanna Funkhouser's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Wow, H and I were having issues with the apartment complex's 30 day notice. 60 IS ridiculous.
    Anniversary
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Cocktail:White Russian
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards