Honeymoon Discussions

USVI

We were originally going to the Keys for our October honeymoon, but with the oil spill, we are starting to consider USVI again. I have enough miles to cover our air tickets to get there. Does anyone have hotel recommendations for St. John or St. Thomas?? Which is better? We plan on staying 5 days, maybe 4 if that takes us over the hotel budget (preferably less than $1200). TIA!
Ann and Brett 10.9.10

Re: USVI

• My parents have a house in the keys and I go there every weekend and so far the oil spill hasn't reached the keys..the usvi and the keys are not too far off from each other so i don't know if avoiding one place will make a difference.
    St. John is beautiful!! Only hotel i hear mentioned often is The Westin. There are alot of caribbean cruises that sail all the caribbean islands for about the same price as renting a hotel in one island in particular.
    Also, If you change your mind about the keys there is none other that compares to Hawks Cay Resort. ITS heaven.
    GL!
    :)

• The keys and the USVI are some 1300 miles away from each other.  I have not heard of any indication we need to be worried about the oil spill.  But I guess that might change in 5 months.

While Iove St John.  It's expensive.  You will have might have better luck with your price range by going to St Thomas.  Try to stay on the East End because it's a quick trip over to St John.

Places to stay  The Westin, Linholm Estates, Wyndam (AI), Marriott

You can even try condo like Sapphire Village, Elysian,  Secret Harbour, Crystal Cove.

While they may or may not have the same feel as a resort, it's a good way to save money.  I've heard of some condo's going for as little as $100 per night right on the beach (just not resort service).  With the condo you can get food items like breakfast or lunch to keep the costs down.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We're heading to St. John this fall after doing a charter in the BVI.  We are also planning to keep costs down on this trip and I found (smaller properties, not hotels) that would work.  We are staying at http://www.sailviewstjohn.com/ which is the least expensive accommodation I found (without camping!) and it receives great reviews.  We also considered Estate Lindholm mentioned above.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FI and I went to St. Thomas a year ago and LOVED it.  We stayed at Secret Harbour and I would definitely recommend it for an inexpensive alternative to the posh resorts!  It is condo style, so a quick trip to the local grocery store in Red Hook and you'll be set.  The restaurant on site is very, very good, but quite pricey.  There were many more options in Red Hook, which was a short cab ride ($5 each way)  away. The snorkelling at Secret Harbour is amazing and the Dive Shop has very reasonable rates for beginner classes and more advanced tours.  The beach is gorgeous with lots of chairs and even a hammock.  It is definitely a place to go if you just want to chill, but not so much if you want 24/7 pampering.

We caught the ferry over to St. John for a day and can't say enough about it.  It was gorgeous and green and absolutely pristine.  Trunk Bay was the most beautiful place I have even seen.  If we ever go back (which I hope we will) we would definitely save up a little more so we could stay on St. John and have more of an adventure vacation (hiking, kayaking, 4wheeling, etc).

No matter which island you go to, do yourself a favor and book a day sail.  It is the best way to see ... EVERYTHING and get to the best snorkel spots.  FI and I booked a day sail on "Oh Be Joyful" and it was a lot of fun.  It was definitely not your typical day sail experience... Capt. Dave is a salty old sailor with a rat terrier as his first mate.  The snorkelling was amazing, the food was fantastic, and even though it was supposed to be an 8 hour day sail, since we ran into some bad weather we got over 2 hours extra, at no charge, after we waited out the storm.  It was definitely an awesome experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards