November 2011 Weddings

Who went to Hawaii?

DH and I are considering cancelling our trip to Disney next fall and replacing it with a trip to Hawaii. We realized that we would really like to go, and if we don't go before we have a baby, then it won't happen. Neither of us have ever been and we don't know very many people that have been there in recent years. I'm really overwhelmed looking at the options. Can anyone tell me how they first started planning their trips? I'm beginning to think that I should just find an agent and tell them exactly what I want and hope that they will have some sort of solution for me.
image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Vacation

Re: Who went to Hawaii?

• edited December 2011
    I've been a few times, and it's just beautiful.  I love Maui personally, bc it's not too crowded, and there's still a lot to do (Road to Hana/black sand beaches/waterfalls/awesome snorkling).  In my opinion, the best time to go is Sept/Oct.  There aren't a lot of people there on vacation bc school is back in, yet the temperature is still great and you can still swim.  Just watch out for jellyfish season towards the end of Oct.  We are heading there in Oct. for our last vacay before babies (hopefully).  We're going to do Kauai (gorgeous/relaxing island) and probably Oahu (the tourist island, Pearl Harbor/North Shore).  The big island is where they do the ironman every year, and it's beautiful (waterfalls, lava fields, hiking, sea turtle preserves, etc).  So you really can't go wrong w/ Hawaii.  It just depends on what type of vacation you two are looking for.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Oh, Whale Season would be so fun!!!!!!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Koda, those are beautiful photos! I really want to go now! Well, more so than I did before ;)
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • I need a ton of recs. And someone to plan this trip for us. It's our HM.

When are you planning on going, CCW? Hawaii GTG :P
  • I'm a Maui fan, personally.

It's pretty relaxed, but there is still lots to do if you want.

• Alright, so I'm guessing that I should not skip on the Big Island? I was planning on going to Oahu and staying there. I read that I can take an all day excursion to the Big Island and see the volcano. Should I maybe consider splitting the stay between the two islands? And then of course there's Maui. I feel a little bad leaving him out of the equation, but I was really aiming for a week long trip and a 3rd island is just too much in that time.

Nates, I was thinking October or November. I know the crowds are low during that time and so are the prices.

Koda, I really like Mr Gecko. Feel free to photo dump some more HM pics here!
  • Ah, gotcha! I wish we could go in November and do a first year anniversary, but my work schedule is the reason we couldn't do our HM THIS November.  We're going in the summer, probably for two weeks.

Everyone tells me I have to go to Oahu, Maui, and Kuwaii, if that helps.
  • Well it decided Maui for me, but I'm a little unsure. My #2 was Oahu according to the questionnaire. It sounds like Maui is a lot of beaching and snorkling. I don't mind the beach part, but I would probably drown while snorkling and that's not really the Hawaiian experience I want to have.
  • I've been to Oahu, Maui, and the BI so far, and we are going to Kauai in March.  Each island is actually really different, so it depends on what type of activities you are looking to do.
    Anniversary
  • We cruised from LA to Hawaii, and went to the Big Island, Oahu, Maui, and Kauai.  My favorites were Maui and Kauai for the relaxation factor.  I would recommend a cruise to anyone, since it's a floating hotel, but the only thing about our cruise was that it was 6 honeymoon couples and 2,812 senior citizens.  At least we made friends and kind of had the run of the ship!
  • Well it's sounding like maybe I should start to do more research on Maui! Spike, you are a huge wealth of information on this. Thanks!

Adele, that's really helpful to know about the cruise. It had been suggested to us, but I'm not sure if I want to be the odd couple out. Plus, DH and I get really uncomfortable when there are a billion people in the pool and we quickly learned on our HM that senior citizens LOVE pools. :D
  • In Response to Re: Who went to Hawaii?:
    We cruised from LA to Hawaii, and went to the Big Island, Oahu, Maui, and Kauai.  My favorites were Maui and Kauai for the relaxation factor.  I would recommend a cruise to anyone, since it's a floating hotel, but the only thing about our cruise was that it was 6 honeymoon couples and 2,812 senior citizens.  At least we made friends and kind of had the run of the ship!
    Posted by adelerose
    Have you ever heard the saying that "cruises are for the Newlywed, Overfed, and Nearly Dead"?  LOL
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards