Florida-Central Florida

Overwhelmed

I recently moved to South Carolina, where I got engaged. Both my family and my fiance's live in Fl.  My family is willing to travel to SC for the wedding if that is what I want, however, his family is saying that his father will not be able to attend if it is out of state.  Which is pointless since that is only true blood family that would be coming.....so my point is, I am trying to find a venue that I could have a wedding for under $5000 for about 125 people. 

I had everything going perfectly up here because we have great parks and facilities to hold a reception, but I can not find anything comparable in all my searchs down there.  Any suggestions would be great!!  I am VERY overwhelmed since I was so close up here and his dad's wife flipped the switch.  Ok, I am done venting.  Thank you!!

Re: Overwhelmed

• edited December 2011
    Where exactly would you want to have your wedding? I mean location and venue type (like Orlando, the beach, a park).
  • edited December 2011
    Aw, boo! It can be done, though. There are a few parks around that are really pretty, since you mentioned parks...

Mead Gardens
    Kraft Azalea Park
    Dickens (?) Azalea Park
    Lake Eola

Of course doing everything in one location might help keep the cost down. I don't know exactly what the costs are for this, but Winter Park Farmer's Market has lots of character and you could probably do everything there. There are so many other places, but those are the ones that come to mind right now. Best of luck. :)
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what's the reason his father can't come out of state?  is he unwilling or is it his health?   I think it's probably less expensive when you choose a place that isn't such a popular destination wedding choice like Orlando.  Perhaps if you want to stay in state but keep it cheaper, you might try northern florida or the panhandle.....
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, do you have a certain day of the week or month in mind?  Fo r example, a Friday evening in January would be much cheaper than a Saturday in May.  You could do restaurant catering such as Sonny's BBQ for example. They might be able to do something in that price range.  You could also choose to have just a dessert reception or just light hors d'oeuvres.  If you're religious, you might be able to find a church that will let you use their parish life center for a reception possibly.  You could set up tables with simple candles or non floral decor and do platters from Publix. 
  • edited December 2011
    Locations that are city owned are less expensive.  Some examples are Winter Park Farmers Market, Leu Gardens.  Leu Gardens is a little larger than the Farmers Market and would be easier to fit 125  more comfortably with a dance floor.  Leu Gardens has a prefered caterer list so it makes it a little easier with a place to start in looking for a caterer.
  • MichelleAZDMichelleAZD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After conferring with my fiance, we went back to plan A and are now getting married in SC where we live.  I am so happy.  But thank you all for your suggestions and help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards