Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoons in Italy

Is anyone going to Italy for their honeymoon?  I want to plan something special for my fiance as a surprise while we are there.  We are going to Rome and then to the Almafi coast (Naples, Capri, Pompeii).  We are then taking a train through Switzerland and France to London. 

Any ideas?

THanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Honeymoons in Italy

• Options
    Vespa tour in rome? I am doing on in 2 weeks through nerone tours.
  • Options
    Honestly, with as much as there is to see in not only Italy, but also Rome and Switzerland, I'd just stick with ONE country.  Choose one, and stay there.  There's soooo much that you miss out on when you divide your trip like that.
  • Options
    I'd definitely check out the historical sites, see if you can get a tour of Rome. The Trevi Fountain was amazing. Not to mention the Gelato in Italy is to die for Wink Do stay in one country though. I would do like a day trip or something to Florence and Venice. Both excellent cities. If you make a trip to Venice- go on a Gondola ride!
  • Options
    I would stay in Capri for as long as you can. I went on a vaca and went to the places you listed above in Italy, and Capri was just breath taking!
  • Options
    We hired a private boat to take us around Capri.  It was one of our favorite parts of the trip!  We used Gianni's Boat and he was awesome.  His boat was really nice, and he had snacks and wine and his mother's homemade limoncello on the boat for us.  He let us out to swim in a bunch of places and took us inside several grottoes.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    I agree with a few posts below, stick to one or two countries. Each country, especially Italy has so much to offer and see! plus you will want to have some relaxation while on your honeymoon and you won't have that when traveling between multiple countries. We just booked our honeymoon to Italy!!! we are doing a mediterranean cruise for 7 nights followed by time in rome and florence. The cruise is nice cause you can see multiple places but won't have to deal with the packing and unpacking and changing hotel rooms. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    I agree with a few posts below, stick to one or two countries. Each country, especially Italy has so much to offer and see! plus you will want to have some relaxation while on your honeymoon and you won't have that when traveling between multiple countries. We just booked our honeymoon to Italy!!! we are doing a mediterranean cruise for 7 nights followed by time in rome and florence. The cruise is nice cause you can see multiple places but won't have to deal with the packing and unpacking and changing hotel rooms. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    My 2 favorite things from Italy...

1) Visiting the Coliseum at night.  During select summer months, they give night tours, and it is INCREDIBLE.  You also don't have the heat to deal with :)

2) Cinque Terre, Vernazza specifically, but I think Naples/Capri is similar enough.  If you do decide to go this route, I would advise staying overnight.  Cinque Terre gets flooded with tourists during the day, so the best times are before 8am or after 8pm.

I may be shot for the following comments, but IMHO, unless you love churches and religious art, Florence is worth skipping.  And unless you love Disneyland, Venice is worth only a very short stop.
  • Options
    If you're in Naples, take a day trip to Pompeii and/or Herculaeum. Herculaeum (Ercolano in Italian) is actually my favorite, as the buildings are better preserved. I think it had to do with which kind of ash fell on each city--Pompeii got the sudden really hot stuff that mummified the people where they were, while Herculaeum is a bit farther and lots of people got away because they could see the eruption. Brief history for the day :)

Also, EAT PIZZA in Naples! Best pizza ever! The simple Margherita is my favorite, esp if you get buffalo mozzarella!

I've seen varying opinions on every city on this board. I absolutely love Florence, but then I also lived there for a year so it's like home :) But Tanq&Tonic is right that if you're only there for a short time, it's not worth it unless you love historic art and churches. The architecture is AMAZING, but if it's not your thing, nothing I say will change that.
    I do agree with Tanq&Tonic when it comes to Venice though. It is cold and wet and dreary. Like London, except that it's sinking into it's own sewage. And said sewage can smell, particularly if there's a garbage strike. Gorgeous buildings and fun alleys to get lost in though

You can't go wrong with Rome. I recommend the Galleria Borghese if you like art. See the ancient ruins. Go to the Pantheon. Go to the Vatican. Pick and choose your churches, don't even try to see every one! And spend time relaxing and enjoying your time in Italy!
  • Options
    Do the underground ruins tour in Rome. Also, if you would like to go to the Opera like a PP mentioned, in the summer the Opera House moves to the Terme di Caracalla, an outdoor historical location. This applies if you're HMing during the summer, though. Happy planning!
  • Options
    My fiance and I got engaged in Capri (near the Faraglioni rocks).  Capri was amazing and we too did the boat tour with Gianni, who was awesome.  We weren't too impressed with Naples except for the gelato....it was the best we had in the three weeks we were in Italy.  If you have the chance I would do tour of the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Positano (beautiful), Amalfi, Ravello (enchanting).  We used Host 2 Coast.  You will never run out of things to do in Rome and Florence, to me, is a must see.  If you get a chance to rent a car, definitely try to drive through Chianti.  All you pics will look like postcards.  Even after three weeks in Italy we still felt like we missed out. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards