Florida-Central Florida
Options

Honeymoon ideas?

FI and I have been talking about going to New Zealand for our HM for the longest time, but I recently realised that it might not be feasible. We were thinking of doing a short weekend getaway right after the wedding and then doing our HM in June, after school gets out, so that we don't have to have someone come up here to stay with my daughter for a week or two. Instead she could go visit Gramma & Grandaddy for a while. The problem is, June is winter for New Zealand. While I think that would be lovely and all, we wouldn't really get to maximise the trip because we wouldn't be able to go to the beaches (I'm a chicken about cold water). 

FI wants to go someplace we wouldn't be able to easily visit some other time in our lives. So my suggestion of Costa Rica was given a "meh." So was my suggestion of whale-watching up in Alaska or Canada. Soo.... I need some help!

Here's what we have to work with:
-No cruises
-Someplace with a mix of adventure/outdoorsy stuff and romance/relaxation
-Someplace where the weather won't prevent us from making the most of the trip (someplace that's not bloody hot would be great, too)
-Someplace not too cliche (ie, not Paris or Rome)

We're not too picky, are we? LOL

I was also thinking about Thailand... any thoughts? Or just sucking it up and having someone stay with DD and do the NZ trip in April.  Thanks for your help!

Re: Honeymoon ideas?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I have been talking about going to New Zealand for our HM for the longest time, but I recently realised that it might not be feasible. We were thinking of doing a short weekend getaway right after the wedding and then doing our HM in June, after school gets out, so that we don't have to have someone come up here to stay with my daughter for a week or two. Instead she could go visit Gramma & Grandaddy for a while. The problem is, June is winter for New Zealand. While I think that would be lovely and all, we wouldn't really get to maximise the trip because we wouldn't be able to go to the beaches (I'm a chicken about cold water). 

FI wants to go someplace we wouldn't be able to easily visit some other time in our lives. So my suggestion of Costa Rica was given a "meh." So was my suggestion of whale-watching up in Alaska or Canada. Soo.... I need some help!

Here's what we have to work with:
    -No cruises
    -Someplace with a mix of adventure/outdoorsy stuff and romance/relaxation
    -Someplace where the weather won't prevent us from making the most of the trip (someplace that's not bloody hot would be great, too)
    -Someplace not too cliche (ie, not Paris or Rome)

We're not too picky, are we? LOL

I was also thinking about Thailand... any thoughts? Or just sucking it up and having someone stay with DD and do the NZ trip in April.  Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely Costa Rica!  I have been there before and am going again for my HM in a few weeks...I love it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well my vote would be for NZed since my whole family is from there and it is soooo beautiful! If you were to go in June and stay mostly in the north island you would more than likely be okay weather wise. I have spent a couple summer vacations on the north island and we had sweaters but it never was super cold and I know looking back at some pics we had a long sleeve shirt on with our sweaters wraped around our waists. NZ is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth and the people there are soo friendly and down to earth. If you do deside to go I can tell you a ton of amazing places to visit and things to do. If you have anymore questions feel free to message me on FB. Oh and I also have to ask my friend about the car thing I haven't forgotten!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've been having this same dilemma of where for honeymoon. I'm interested in any suggestions people have. I'm finding that getting married in March is very expensive as far as flights go due to spring break! So, flying to Costa Rica is out for us, I think. I'm with you though, we want adventure, yet romance too...and I considered a trip to Colorado for a ski trip, cabin type honeymoon, but flying there was pricey too! A friend of mine says you get the best for your buck on a cruise, but "meah" is how we feel about cruises. I know a lot of people enjoy them though. 

• Options
    adarlingztaadarlingzta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should ask your aunt to stay with princess if you are worried about weather. 

If that won't work, I think you would have a ball in CR with all the eco tours and all. 
    I am going to throw this out even though I think he will nix it: Ireland
    I personally think safari would be amazing but can't imagine how spendy it would be. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amy - yup, you're right, he'd nix Ireland for sure. I'd love a safari! I think we talked about that before and he wasn't so thrilled with the idea. I would also love Morocco, but he didn't think it'd be safe. *sigh*

Maybe going to NZ in April would be the best bet. LoLo, if we end up doing NZ I'm totally going to take you to lunch so I can pick your brain!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good to me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards