Honeymoon Discussions

Your e-ring and wedding band on your honeymoon?

Are you ladies planning or did you wear your engagement ring and wedding band on your honeymoon? 

My husband is planning a surprise honeymoon (we leave in 6 days) and I've recently heard that manypeople dont take their actual rings on the honeymoon, they buy fake ones and wear those. 

Thoughts? 

Re: Your e-ring and wedding band on your honeymoon?

• Yes, I took them.  I wear my rings everywhere.  If I'm swimming, I lock them in the hotel safe.  Otherwise, they're on.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • I brought mine and wore them.  I always wear them.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_e-ring-wedding-band-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:bd8466ff-9e04-4190-9156-2ad250cf34b8Post:2b6c0157-9f0e-4896-90fc-9134abeee464">Your e-ring and wedding band on your honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you ladies planning or did you wear your engagement ring and wedding band on your honeymoon? 
    Posted by sarahmay21[/QUOTE]

Of course.  You know that rings can be stolen in your home town just as easily as when you travel, yes?
  • Yes I took mine.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We haven't been on our HM yet, but I plan on taking and wearing mine. I'm going to make sure they are both insured first, but I definitely do not plan on leaving them behind!
  • I wear my rings all the time too, but I left mine at home for my honeymoon. They are insured, but I figured it didn't make sense to lock them in the hotel safe when I could just lock them up at home and know they will be there when I return.  

It gave me so much piece of mind to swim, snorkel, go to the beach, get a mud bath, swim in waterfalls, etc. without worrying about my rings.  All of my married friends left their rings at home. People will know you are married, even if you are not wearing a ring. No need to risk something happening when you can avoid it. 
    Anniversary
  • I plan on getting my rings soldered together while we are gone. I don't want to bring them. I am worried I would lose them. If I lose them at home, I have a chance of finding them again later down the line. I am not worried about theft.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_e-ring-wedding-band-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:bd8466ff-9e04-4190-9156-2ad250cf34b8Post:6675183b-14e1-4c8b-9dcb-df22fd2c2814">Re: Your e-ring and wedding band on your honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wore mine.  I locked them in the safe in our room the day we did our excursion.  I wear my rings all the time at home. Crime/robbery happens where we live, too. This is my thought on wearing fake CZ rings... Robbers won't know they are fake when they try to rob you for them.  So, you're still robbed for nothing and risk being hurt over fake jewelry. If you want to leave your real rings at home, just wear a plain silver band and call it a day.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

I plan to do this too.

I also agree with your thoughts on being robbed.  It can happen anywhere you go so just do what you can to avoid it happening.
  • I bought a $20 plain tungsten band which I use when I travel.  I love that it's indestructible and never gets scratched hauling luggage, ziplining, or whatever else I happen to be doing.  It was less about theft and more about not wanting to damage it or accidentally leave it in a foreign hotel.

I think it's silly to buy a 'fake set' to wear on travel.  If your goal is not to be the target, why give them anything shiny to think about at all?  And while I do agree you can be the victim of crime at home as much as you can be in other places, depending on your destination, I would say you could absolutely be inviting more attention than you might arouse at home with a blinging rock and band on your hand.  For some of the places I've been, I wouldn't say the odds are anywhere like my odds 'at home'.
  • I wore both. TO me, that's the point of having them. We went to Chicago for a mini-moon, so we didn't do any water sports, which is one instance where I'd consider not wearing them. However, if they fit properly, they shouldn't fall off anyway.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I went on a cruise recently and I wore my engagement ring throughout the cruise but took them off when doing excursions in port like scuba diving, zip lining, and other active things and kept them in the room safe.  Those are things I would take off my ring for at home anyway so it wasn't any different.  I am just more worried about my ring being damaged...I'm kinda anal about it looking just as sparkly and new as the day I got it but that's just me.. :)  

I plan to do the same for my honeymoon as well, provided the room has a safe, I assume it will?  If the room I was staying in did not have a safe, I would for sure leave my rings at home.  In any case, I would make sure your ring is insured for your peace of mind.
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Just be smart about it and you will be fine!!
    I've worked in hotels for 10+ years and i could tell some stories about people who leave em behind!! Make sure you will have a safe or something to lock them at while doing activities you don't want to wear them for.

I had a $400 bracelet stolen out of our hotel room in atlanta because the hotel was newly remodeled and they hadnt gotten the safes put back in yet  :(
  • I would make sure they're insured and keep them on you rather than leaving them at home.  You shouldn't have any problems with water sports if your rings are sized properly.  And I'm sure your surprise honeymoon won't be to an unsafe location!

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • We wore ours, too. Just make sure they are insured and you won't have any problems. Make sure to take them off if you go swimming in the ocean or snorkeling! H forgot and lost his wedding band. Thankfully, it was insured and we were able to get it re-made without any problems. 
    BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • I never take mine off, our HM is not for about 6 months, but we were just in Costa Rica, and I did not even take my e-ring off while swimming, though, FI purposely got my ring 1/4 smaller so I did not need to take off, as we are both very active and spend much of our summer at cottage in the lake. We went with 60 people to CR and there was one girl there that left her real ring at home and brought a fake from Wal Mart she was upset about making that decision when she saw many of us with our actually rings on!
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I plan on getting a small fake ring. I just hear too many horror stories and I would rather not bring attention to us. If I do plan on getting a fake ring it is going to be a non 'diamond' ring or a plain band.

After saying that I do understand that my home has crime but there are a lot of areas that people honeymoon too that the criminals target tourists. So I am just happy being safe then sorry.

• I didn't take mine. I felt a lot better about not having them along when I spent the whole day either on the beach, swimming, or hiking in the jungle. I did wear cheap rings on the trip and I didn't lose them, but I would personally rather have the peace of mind than not.
    Photobucket
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I've honestly never known anyone to leave their rings at home for their HM. It's your HM! You just got married, and it's fun to constantly look down at your rings. All the HM'ers at our resort were wearing their rings and we all had fun looking at each other's.

I've always worn my ring(s) when we travel. We've been on a few cruises, to Vegas, to Key West, and also our HM to Fiji. I wore my rings the entire time even while swimming, snorkeling, river tubing, ziplining, kayaking, parasailing, hiking to waterfalls, you name it!

Just make sure they're insured and they fit correctly and they shouldn't be an issue with slipping off.
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_e-ring-wedding-band-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:bd8466ff-9e04-4190-9156-2ad250cf34b8Post:c8844478-e655-48c5-b35e-f30741fb13aa">Re: Your e-ring and wedding band on your honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bought a $20 plain tungsten band which I use when I travel.  I love that it's indestructible and never gets scratched hauling luggage, ziplining, or whatever else I happen to be doing.  It was less about theft and more about not wanting to damage it or accidentally leave it in a foreign hotel. I think it's silly to buy a 'fake set' to wear on travel.  If your goal is not to be the target, why give them anything shiny to think about at all?  And while I do agree you can be the victim of crime at home as much as you can be in other places, depending on your destination, I would say you could absolutely be inviting more attention than you might arouse at home with a blinging rock and band on your hand.  For some of the places I've been, I wouldn't say the odds are anywhere like my odds 'at home'.
    Posted by Tanq&Tonic[/QUOTE]

<div>I absolutely agree with this. I've lived and traveled in enough low-income countries that I definitely want something plain and inexpensive to wear on my finger for my honeymoon and other times.</div>
  • After much consideration, I bought a fake set that looks exactly like mine. We will be in Jamaica for 2 weeks for our honeymoon and although the rings are insured there is too much sentimental value behind them for me if something happened. I agree that theft can happen anywhere but I just would be heartbroken if something happened to my rings a week after we had our wedding.

There are a ton of sites out there if you just google "fake wedding set" or "cz wedding set" I used palmbeachjewlery.com
  • I wore mine alll of our HM, except when we did water activities or were in the spa. I locked them in the safe when I wasn't wearing them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • most importantly is that they fit you properly. if they do they won't fall off.

i always wear mine-in the pool, at the beach, at the spa, hiking, zip lining etc.. the only time i dont wear them (for fear of having my finger nibbled off by a barracuda is when i snorkel).

• I've debated this back and forth.  I was worried about leaving my rings at home because you can be robbed anywhere.  My FI's mom lives not even a mile from us and came home one day to find her house had been robbed during the day.  She lost a lot of old jewelry that was in her family. 

I don't want to be a target while on my honeymoon but where we are going, we will certainly stand out as tourists anyway regardless of me wearing my ring.  So I'm taking them and making sure that I have them insured.  I don't have the flashiest ring anyway. 

I think it's ultimately each person's choice in where they feel the most comfortable. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_e-ring-wedding-band-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:bd8466ff-9e04-4190-9156-2ad250cf34b8Post:94bf6ac0-1c0a-41bb-9d84-5b5e9456d6fb">Re: Your e-ring and wedding band on your honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I took my rings, and wear them everywhere.  They're insured.
    Posted by 1covejack[/QUOTE]

This.  I took mine with.  I waited a long time to finally get the rings, so I was excited to wear them.

H brought his too but it was kind of big so it was primarily in the safe in the room, unless we were eating/hanging out at night.
  • I'm planning to wear mine on our honeymoon, but I'll probably take them off for the water sports. They fit pretty well, but just in case, you know?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards