Honeymoon Discussions

Costa Rica

Any hotel/things to do recs?

we want a place where we can have beach and adventure.

TIA!!!

Re: Costa Rica

• Great choice! I was there for a service project so I don't have a whole lot of recs... but I really liked the Guanacaste region, especially Playa Brasilito, a nice beach with a lot of local flavor. I also enjoyed the La Paz Waterfall Gardens. It's pretty touristy so I wouldn't necessarily stay at the resort there, but the waterfalls, tropical birds and butterflies are spectacular and worth a visit.

I would recommend ziplining too! I went on a canopy tour at Hacienda Baru, on the southern Pacific coast. They also offer birding/wildlife tours, hiking, and a really nice beach.

I'd skip the bullfights unless that's your kind of thing... it's just a bunch of drunk hooligans baiting a bull, and I saw one guy dragged out of the ring bloody and unconscious. Ugh.

Good luck planning, and have fun!
  • Hi! We're going to Costa Rica, too- soooooo excited! 

We are looking for a little rustic beach time along with some adventure in the rainforest so here's our plan:  we are spending 2 nights in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa which is at the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula on the Pacific. Smaller surf town with gorgeous beaches & a fabulous waterfall nearby.  Then 3 nights in La Fortuna, next to the Arenal Volcano, with a plan to do ziplines, hot springs, hikes, etc. I'm told Arenal is a must-visit area when traveling to CR.  It looks rad, I have to say.

Checkout trip advisor for lodging reviews (take a look at their CR forum too) and also www.anywherecostarica.com - it's a company based in CR and they have been REALLY helpful. they'll even put together some suggested places to visit, stay and things to do based on your length of stay, budget and what you like to do. And the women i've emailed with are just plain nice!

Happy planning!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I second/third the suggestions to go ziplining. I went on a zipline tour in the Monteverde area, and I have to say it's one of the coolest things I've experienced in my life (not that my life is all that adventurous to begin with, but it was definitely a thrill!). Also, check out the La Fortuna waterfall in the Arenal area.

Not to worry you too much, but be really careful with your things and pay attention to your surroundings, especially if you are in San Jose at all - like carry bags in front of you, not on your back, and keep ahold of them at all times. My host mom there also told me not to wear a nice necklace I had because she said someone might just tear it off of me. On our bus ride from San Jose to Arenal, one of my friends had her backpack stolen while on the trip, even though we had a group of 6-7 of us to notice things. It seemed that outside of the city, things were more relaxed and there was less of a concern for these things, but still pay attention. Hope this helps! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We loved CR! 
    I think if you're going to Arenal area, you should try the SkyTrek/SkyTram zip line tour... seems very safe, great guides, gorgeous views of Lake Arenal and the Volcano.  You don't "brake" yourself... the guides do it for you.  And, its really tall (I think 600ft?). Even though I'm terrified of heights, it was totally worth it (And, I think there are clips on YouTube if you want to see them)

Also LOVED the Venado cave tour (out of Arenal/Sunset Tours).  Nothing you will ever see in the states.  Huge caverns, running water... you will be SOAKED!  but, so fun.  climbing rock formations, "tight" squeezes through rock formations and a ton of "wildlife" (bats/insects).

I was told not to drive in San Jose b/c its poorly marked, and drivers are very aggressive.  We stayed at Vista del Valle (30 minutes outside SJO), and their driver transported us to/from airport.  And, the car rental place dropped off the car to the hotel the next morning (make sure you specify "automatic" if you need it).  The resort is BEAUTIFUL.  I highly recommend it (we stayed in the "mona lisa" room, and it was fantastic).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards