Outdoor Weddings

"catholic style" ceremony

Just had to share that I am soooo excited. Ive always dreamed of a big catholic wedding but FI was never confirmed and due to logistics and finances it was better to get married in the outdoor area of our vendor. Well my moms friends brother is a retired catholic priest and agreed to do a "Catholic Style" ceremony my prayers have been answered :-)

Re: "catholic style" ceremony

• I am not a practicing Catholic but I can tell you that I would be offended by someone having a "Catholic Style" wedding outside of the church.  If this is they type of wedding that you and your FI want, then get married in the church.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Congrats! I'm glad you're happy with your ceremony. I am a practicing Catholic and it doesn't bother me in the least bit what you are doing. In the eyes of the Church, yes you will be living in sin by not getting married in the Church. But as long as you and your FI are happy, that's all that matters (:
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • As noted by PP, please know that the church will not recognize your marriage.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_catholic-style-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:0b085d4f-de8c-4f0a-9763-b9dccd52f44dPost:9fa8dfe9-ffd8-4b66-84ba-5f8e6ac219dc">Re: "catholic style" ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you a practicing Catholic? If so, you should be aware that getting married outside of the Church is a big deal. You will be barred from the Sacraments. I'm not trying to scare you, but you should be aware of the consequences of your decision. A ceremony held by a former priest does not a true Catholic wedding make.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

True, a ceremony officiated by a former priest (What makes him "former"? I've always been taught that once someone is a priest, he is always a priest.) may be problematic if you want the marriage recognized by the Catholic Church.  That ceremony would not be recongnized as the Sacrament of Matrimony.  However, the marriage may be recognized by the Church at a later time, but that's a bridge to be crossed in the future.

Unless you are in a very conservative parish with a pastor who has nothing else to do with his time besides track parishioners' movements and humiliate people in public, it is highly unlikely you'll be "barred from the Sacraments." I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but honestly, it does not happen very often.
  • Did anyone miss that part where he isn't confirmed??
    Girl, go ahead, do it your way, so long as Holy Communion isn't a part of your ceremony I don't see an issue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_catholic-style-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:0b085d4f-de8c-4f0a-9763-b9dccd52f44dPost:8d9a1801-87ee-4f51-ba4b-678e5ad9b265">Re: "catholic style" ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "catholic style" ceremony : Both the bride and groom do not have to be confirmed to be married in the Catholic Church. In fact, only one of them has to be Catholic at all. So, yeah... Again, if the OP is not practicing and does not care about her marriage being blessed by the Church, then she can do whatever she wants. I was just letting her know the consequences.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

Exactly. My cousin is confirmed her husband is not. They were married in the Catholic church. So, if having a Catholic ceremony is important then you should talk with a priest.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The Catholic Church has changed so much that you never know what you can get away with. I am Irish Catholic and things are set in stone... we havent changed things in hundreds of years but the Irish are like that. The best thing to do is just ask around. In any case good luck :)

• I'm actually quite interested in what you are doing...I have encountered some very interesting things so far as to what everyone has to say about my decision to not get married in the Catholic church. My FI is baptist and I am Catholic.We made the decision to get married outside and I am very happy with my decision. However, many are not. I actually had a bridesmaid decide to not be a part of my wedding because I am not getting married in the catholic church. 

I have been looking for ways to bring my faith into the ceremony without it being a Catholic wedding.

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_catholic-style-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:0b085d4f-de8c-4f0a-9763-b9dccd52f44dPost:705406b0-51a1-4965-9c43-ff1a02764889">"catholic style" ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just had to share that I am soooo excited. Ive always dreamed of a big catholic wedding but FI was never confirmed and due to logistics and finances it was better to get married in the outdoor area of our vendor. Well my moms friends brother is a retired catholic priest and agreed to do a "Catholic Style" ceremony my prayers have been answered :-)
    Posted by kdnyyfan[/QUOTE]
  • I am getting married at an outside venue and it will be the Sacrament of Matrimony... Our Venue directed us to a Priest who has approval from the bishop for this...
    here is a snipit from there site - let  me know if you would like to Message you the details

Why does the Roman Church not allow weddings outside of a church?
    Do you permit weddings outside of a parish setting?
    The Roman Catholic Church recognizes Roman Catholics marrying in an outdoor setting as celebrating a legal marriage, but not necessarily a sacramental marriage. This is primarily due to a long history of 'custom' rather than any particular true religious or sacramental reasoning. And, it is nearly impossible to perform a Nuptial Mass in an outdoor setting. Therefore, since historically most weddings contained the Mass, the custom was easily enforced. But today, most couples do not avail themselves of the Mass and, therefore, any setting is truly usable. But, the Roman Church has insisted on holding to an ancient custom, over accommodating the couple on their special day.

We believe that God is everyone where we are gathered in His name. Therefore, our priests have the endorsement of the bishop to performed a valid and sacramental wedding ceremony outside of the confines of the parish setting. However, when a couple wishes to hold a Nuptial Mass, we would honor their request within the the traditional parish venue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • FYI --- Getting married outside the Catholic Church ---

This was a HUGE debate w my extremely religious grandfather. We wanted an outside ceremony in the country. One of my main reasons for wanting to not get married in my church is because I am a wedding photographer. I did not want my wedding to be something I do EVERY Saturday! And my church happens to be a very big church where I shoot quite often.
    My grandfather went as far as CALLING the bishop ( yes he has teh bishops direct line!! haha) to ask him how the church would view my marriage. This is what we learned -
    We can have our outdoor ceremony, but it will not be recognized by the church and you ar enot supposed to receive sacraments. BUT there is a small ceremony you can have at the church. Just like a 2nd ceremony, you only need 1 or 2 witnesses and it takes like 10 minutes and THEN your marriage will be recognized by the church! So this what what we are doing. We will be having our big country wedding on May 18th and after the actual wedding we will have the small church thing w immediate family and like our best friends. Then everyone is happy and you are still acceted in the church :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards