Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?

I've seen sooo many things saying not to wear wedding rings on your honeymoon because it attracts theifs. Are you all wearing your rings?? I obviously want to..but I also don't want to get robbed :p Just curious.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?

• Options
    Unless you are going on a safari, to some place riddled with crime, or your ring is 5+ carats and/or you hold it up in people's faces, I think you'll be fine. I refused to wear my rings on my first HM to Tahiti and I ended up regretting it. So, when I got remarried this fall, I wore them. If you're still concerned, I have a pretty sizeable diamond on my e-ring, and yet I still wore it to Africa on a non-HM but just turned the diamond toward my palm when in certain areas. I'd be more concerned with losing it in the water if ou are going somewhere tropical. Just be sure to secure it when in the water, whether by just being careful or keeping it in a hotel safe.

• Options
    Of course we wore our rings.  I live in the center of a major East Coast city.  I wear my rings every day.  Rings can be stolen no matter where you are.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:fd322f15-4230-4119-b2b6-1dcbc09ae040">Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen sooo many things saying not to wear wedding rings on your honeymoon because it attracts theifs. Are you all wearing your rings?? I obviously want to..but I also don't want to get robbed :p Just curious.
    Posted by quirkygrl16[/QUOTE]

My rings are a higher value and we went to a less touristy island so we left them at home.  I don't wear mine to the beach regardless because I don't see the point of putting it through the abrasive sand or risk losing them in the ocean. 
  • Options
    We are going to Vegas for our honeymoon and have purchased cheap rings from walmart to wear during the honeymoon. Our real rings will stay with my mom until we get back.
  • Options
    We wore ours down to mexico & locked them in the safe & we were totally fine. Just insure them and be smart about it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't wear any of my expensive jewelry when I'm traveling to places where I'll feel more like a target than at home (in my major US city). I also do a lot of rough outdoorsy stuff and don't wear it then either! 

Use common sense if you do wear them. Insure them and don't act like a stupid American.
  • Options
    I wore mine and I think the thief thing is silly. Honestly I felt safer at our resort in Hawaii than I do in some areas of my own city. It's all about being smart, being alert, and being careful with your possessions, just like I assume you would if you were at home too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I haven't gone yet, but I'm planning to leave my e-ring at home but wear my wedding band.  My band is plain so I don't think it will attract attention anyways.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:c1438c0b-61a2-4844-b3ef-3202a940d45f">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to Vegas for our honeymoon and have purchased cheap rings from walmart to wear during the honeymoon. Our real rings will stay with my mom until we get back.
    Posted by shaygray88[/QUOTE]

<div>You do know that Vegas is a civilized city and people wear expensive jewelry there all the time and don't get robbed, right?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:c1a7b2d1-80d4-4f0c-b6e2-df2a9c40a6d2">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon? : You do know that Vegas is a civilized city and people wear expensive jewelry there all the time and don't get robbed, right?
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]
    Yes I just didn't want to wear my real rings....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:1c04902d-7969-4ea4-a731-12a9b5fcbe10">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon? : Yes I just didn't want to wear my real rings....

I guess I don't understand why? I didn't wear my real rings to my HM in Tahiti because I knew we'd be in the water a lot. At the end of the day, that was probably silly, so I did wear them along the GBR in Australia for my second HM (then again, I got married there too so I needed my rings for the DW). But, not wearing them to some place like Las Vegas is like not wearing them in Little Rock. Not necessarily saying its right or wrong. Just trying to understand the thought process.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:1c04902d-7969-4ea4-a731-12a9b5fcbe10">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon? : Yes I just didn't want to wear my real rings....

<div>Not a single thief in Arkansas?</div>
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    DH and I both got fake rings from o.com for our HM. I wasn't really worried about them getting stolen. I was worried about them getting damaged on the beach, in the water, on our hiking trip, etc.  Now I know I could have taken them of during these activities, but as a newly wed, honeymooning couple I didn't want to.  I just left them home with my mom.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I left my engagement ring at home.  (Didn't have the wedding band yet as we honeymooned before the wedding due to Sandy)  I wasn't worried about theft, I was worried about losing it in the water.  Just didn't want to worry about it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:d1b55633-9297-4061-9f60-5f65f6fadea7">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon? : I guess I don't understand why? I didn't wear my real rings to my HM in Tahiti because I knew we'd be in the water a lot. At the end of the day, that was probably silly, so I did wear them along the GBR in Australia for my second HM (then again, I got married there too so I needed my rings for the DW). But, not wearing them to some place like Las Vegas is like not wearing them in Little Rock. Not necessarily saying its right or wrong. Just trying to understand the thought process.
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

Just playing it safe I guess
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:d07e7372-2425-4fc8-bc53-a86fb802af28">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon? : The safest place for your ring is on your finger. If you get your rings insured, part of the agreement is that your rings are on your finger or locked in a safe, and the underwriters prefer it on your finger.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Ok
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!!! I guess i'll just put it in the safe when i'm in the water and keep it on when we arn't. That's what I do here at home with my engagement ring. :) I feel a little silly worrying now hahaha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:d07e7372-2425-4fc8-bc53-a86fb802af28">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon? : The safest place for your ring is on your finger. If you get your rings insured, part of the agreement is that your rings are on your finger or locked in a safe, and the underwriters prefer it on your finger.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

THIS. Absolute true story. As I mentioned above, I HMed in Tahiti after my first marriage. I bought a cheaper plain platinum band, had it blessed, and wore that on my HM. I felt my rings were of too much value to bring with us. So, I put them in a safe at my home. However, as soon as we returned from our HM, we had to move into our new home. So, I just kept my rings in the safe since I knew I'd be doing some lifting and hard work for the move. Well, my ex placed the safe in the Uhaul and didn't properly shut the door. The safe fell out of the back of the truck with my rings in it. Had I just left them on my finger in the first place, none of this would have happened. I was overly careful and ended up losing them anyway! (Thankfully, everything was insured!)

• Options
    I didnt wear my e ring or wedding ring on our HM. My reasons were a combination of not wanting to damage or lose the rings ( we had an adventerous HM) and not wanting to look "show-y"  I purchased a cheap silver band to wear that wouldnt get caught on anything and if lost I wouldnt be heart broken.  I was/am happy I did this. The fake ring was beaten up pretty bad-even H said he kind of wished he would have done it too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We will probably leave ours at home, but that's because we plan to be on the beach, in the water, and pretty much no place else.  We don't want them getting damaged.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We took ours to Mexico, and wore them almost everywhere. No regrets.
  • Options
    I might be tempted to leave them at home if you're doing a ton of outdoor activities on your honeymoon. I'd be worried about leaving the rings at the hotel, even in a safe.
  • Options
    I legitimately can't believe how many people are not wearing their rings on their honeymoon.  It's mind-boggling to me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:c95919ad-0fed-4144-a32f-f5988379bd99">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I legitimately can't believe how many people are not wearing their rings on their honeymoon.  It's mind-boggling to me.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

<div>Why?  The beaches in Mexico and the Caribbean are probably the most popular honeymoon destinations.  Gold is a really soft metal, and sand can scratch it without too much effort.  Also, sunscreen?  It's a pain in the ass to clean out of the prongs and it dulls your ring until you get it all off.  It's not necessarily a security thing, but a means of taking care of your jewelry.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:4449d1b7-144f-4bc3-b408-e6393d09d746">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon? : Why?  The beaches in Mexico and the Caribbean are probably the most popular honeymoon destinations.  Gold is a really soft metal, and sand can scratch it without too much effort.  Also, sunscreen?  It's a pain in the ass to clean out of the prongs and it dulls your ring until you get it all off.  It's not necessarily a security thing, but a means of taking care of your jewelry.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

I can't speak to the gold issue, as I do not own any gold jewelry, but I wear my rings on all of my tropical trips and in my own backyard when laying by the pool. I apply sunscreen on before heading outside, while my rings are in their jewelry case, and once we're outdoors, I hand them to my DH and he holds them while I reapply.I realize it's impossible to have a jewelry box while on travel, but laying them in the hotel safe for 10 minutes while applying sunscreen is not terrible. I also apply daily SPF to my face every morning and I jog everyday after work and I reapply suncreen before heading out. So, should I not be wearing my rings everyday? (FWIW- I do not have my rings on while doing it, but I do place them in a safe place while doing it.) Just trying to say that there are ways of taking care of your rings and still wear them all of the time. They are purchased to be worn. And this coming from someone who went out of their way to purchase a second, plain platinum wedding band and had it blessed when I married the first time just so I could travel without my rings. I thought I was so smart at the time and playing it safe, but after seeing all of the other couples on my HM with their rings on, I felt silly and disappointed.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:4449d1b7-144f-4bc3-b408-e6393d09d746">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon? : Why?  The beaches in Mexico and the Caribbean are probably the most popular honeymoon destinations.  Gold is a really soft metal, and sand can scratch it without too much effort.  Also, sunscreen?  It's a pain in the ass to clean out of the prongs and it dulls your ring until you get it all off.  It's not necessarily a security thing, but a means of taking care of your jewelry.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

Then when exactly are you suppose to wear your rings?

Between people freaking out over some person possibly robbing their ring finger and others worried about scratching their bands it is amazing that anyone wear their wedding rings anywhere.  I wear mine pretty much wherever I go.  That included snorkling in KW for our HM.  It also includes, making bread, digging in the dirt, swimming in pools, bathing the dog, washing the car, and anything else you can think of.  Is th bottom portion of my ring (the part that you can see when I look at my palm) a bit scratched up?  Yup.  Do I care?  Nope.  Because rings are supposed to be worn.  If you aren't going to wear them then why spend the money.  My H bought me my rings and as with any gift, I want to wear them and use them the way they are supposed to be used.

Get your rings insured and enjoy them!  Geesh!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:ad35c358-f581-470d-bd57-70a5eb3fb5fa">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Get your rings insured and enjoy them!  Geesh!
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

Right?  I don't have the time to worry about all these little details.  My grandmother wore her rings all day, every single day.  Thanksgiving day?  It was up inside the raw turkey.  I have her engagement ring now and wear it all day, every single day.  The ring is absolutely perfect.

We all have our comfort levels with things, of course, but purposefully leaving your rings at home because it might touch sunscreen or sand is just too much for me.  By all means, take them off if you're more comfortable, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who does a headtilt at this idea.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:c95919ad-0fed-4144-a32f-f5988379bd99">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I legitimately can't believe how many people are not wearing their rings on their honeymoon.  It's mind-boggling to me.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly!

I've honestly never heard of not wearing your rings on your HM until some of the crazy posts I've seen here. Every couple at our resort were also honeymooners and they were all wearing their rings. Why would you want to part with your rings while you're away celebrating your new marriage?!

We've traveled a lot since we got engaged, and I've never traveled without my ring(s). Cruises, AI resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean, and our HM to Fiji. We've been parasailing, snorkeling, river tubing, hiking, jet skiing, etc.. and I've always worn my rings. Just make sure they're insured!

The safest place for your rings is on your finger!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_wearing-wedding-rings-on-the-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dd418c34-d6ed-48be-bcea-76e18aa7853fPost:ad35c358-f581-470d-bd57-70a5eb3fb5fa">Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wearing wedding rings on the honeymoon? : Then when exactly are you suppose to wear your rings? Between people freaking out over some person possibly robbing their ring finger and others worried about scratching their bands it is amazing that anyone wear their wedding rings anywhere.  I wear mine pretty much wherever I go.  That included snorkling in KW for our HM.  It also includes, making bread, digging in the dirt, swimming in pools, bathing the dog, washing the car, and anything else you can think of.  Is th bottom portion of my ring (the part that you can see when I look at my palm) a bit scratched up?  Yup.  Do I care?  Nope.  Because rings are supposed to be worn.  If you aren't going to wear them then why spend the money.  My H bought me my rings and as with any gift, I want to wear them and use them the way they are supposed to be used. Get your rings insured and enjoy them!  Geesh!
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

This.  Of course.  This wedding ring/honeymoon question is consistently the most absurd thing that comes up on these boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards