Outdoor Weddings

formal wedding gown, informal wedding party

First of all hello everybody i'm new to the boards.
i just read a post by Taramisue about a ball gown at a beach wedding. i too have a huge poofy dress that i fell in love with and refuse to give up. i still haven't decided if my ceremony is in a garden or on the beach. but i really liked the idea of my guys wearing breezy linen or light suits and my girls in flowing maxi dresses. do you think i need to change my dress to fit this or will it work

Re: formal wedding gown, informal wedding party

• It would probably look better if you wore a more flowy dress too...maybe a chiffon? Maybe you could try some on and see what you think. If you're still in love with the ball gown I would suggest that when you have one of your bridesmaids go with you to try it on again and have her try on a maxi dress to see how it looks with it. My wedding gown is also more formal and my wedding is outside in a wooded clearing, a better location for a casual country wedding than a formal affair. So I made my wedding an "enchanted forest" theme to tie my dress in with my setting. If it's really what you have your heart set on I'm sure you can make it work.
    I'm married!
  • I say go for it if you love your ballgown. Everyone expects the bride to be in a huge gown, no matter where the wedding is. If you love it and feel beautiful in it, it won't matter what your party is wearing. My dress was pretty formal for a backyard wedding, and my girls wore short black dresses. The guys did wear tuxes, but that was their decision. I would have been fine in dress shirts or suits. HTH!
  • yeah i think at the most i will just change what they wear but i am looking at beach wedding dresses just to keep an open mind
  • I say that it's your wedding! If you feel like a princess in your gown at the beach, then do what you love and makes you happy, you'll be happier in the long run. Good luck!
  • ReghanReghan member
    First Comment
    I am doing this very thing. My gown is mermaid style, but there are seven layers of fabric and it's covered in beading, and the bottom is poofy with a semi-long train. My girls are wearing flowy, whimsical dresses with flip flops and the guys are wearing black pants, black shoes, and solid color button-up shirts. In other words, the attendants are decidedly less formal than I am, but I'm okay with that. As far as guest dress code goes, we're telling people to be as formal as an outdoor wedding can be. Some guests are wearing black pants or dresses, others are wearing jeans or even khaki capris.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's your day and you should be the center of attention!! So what if you look more formal, you should!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards