Outdoor Weddings
Options

XP on DIY: DIY Outdoor Lighting

Okay so I know where and when i'm having my wedding. Now its the logistics of the whole thing.

I'm going to have lights in the trees and I plan on setting them up at least a week before, mostly because I'm getting married the Satuday after Thanksgiving. Has anyone else attempted to do this themselves. I know hiring someone to do it is totally not an option.  I can't find very many articles on DIY outdoor lighting but I could just be looking in the wrong places.

I have an airal picture of the backyard if anyone would want to see it. :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP on DIY: DIY Outdoor Lighting

• Options
    Let's see the picture so we can help you out a little more!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options

And the edited version

Now this is going to be a pretty small wedding pretty much only family maybe like 5-8 friends but our familes together are like 60. And then account for the people who won't be able to make it probably looking at 50ish
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Are you planning on stringing lights from the trees? I think that might be your best bet. Or make something like this.

Do this between the dress to kind of make a "blanket" of lights.

Anniversary
  • Options

Yes! I was also thinking paper lanterns, and I was also thinking about using something like a industrial type staple gun and running them up the tree and on the branches, if that makes any sense.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I would do, and you can just hook the lanters to the lights. I think it would work well.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Just be careful with any extension cords you use. Even with a small reception these can be a hassle. try to bunch them together if possible when you are running them to the yard from an outlet and only seperate the individual cords as you reach each tree. a

also spiraling the strand of lights around the trunk of the tree can be a good alternative to stapleing anything to your tree, and you wont have to worry about the bright orange extension cords being visable.
  • Options
    Very true, I don't think i'm going to keep them orange,  I may just spray paint them black.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I bought some throwaway mini lights from overstock.com. 12 per pack for like 8$. they have a loop on them to add to a paper lantern and they last 8-12 hours.

We are also adding white christmas lights to all of the trees. We got them 75% off the day after Christmas. Now is the time to buy if you want a great deal on lights.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    and lots of candles everywhere. That will help w/ the romantic ambience. 
  • Options
    I'm doing the same for my wedding (reception is under a giant oak tree) and my Dad is in charge of the lights. He's a ham radio operator and regularly strings "antennas" from trees, and is quite good at it, lol. As for the logistics of getting them into the trees - do what he does: tie kite string on the end of the string of lights, attach a rock to the string, and throw. And repeat.

That would probably be easier than having someone climb ladders to string them - or stapling into a tree. I feel like that wouldn't be good for the tree, but I could be wrong. 
  • Options
    With Solar lights I just saw at Big Lots, you would have to worry about the extension cords at least. http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/lighting-and-solar/6056 says they charge even on cloudy days so I wonder if under shady trees that might still work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards