Outdoor Weddings

Stressed out!

I am thinking about a destination wedding... After showing my fiance ideas, and how less expensive it would be then a wedding in our home town, he was game for it. My father and mother think it is a great idea! Well, my mom does anyway and my dad must go along with the ride! Here is the problem, my fiance's family doesn't have a lot of spare money and he thinks his parents wouldn't go anyway because the idea is too extreme for them. So my question is, if we decide that this is what we really want, how do we go about telling our family? What if his parents get upset? I know that a wedding is suppose to be for us, and what we want, but I just don't want them to be so upset that I have a terrible relationship with my mother-in-law from then on, She is a very fiery woman, and voices her opinion on everything! I just know she is not going to like it, and might even tell me I can't! Help!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Stressed out!

• ReghanReghan member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_stressed-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:ac96b53d-a1b4-49d1-abb1-f35e1c9468f8Post:eb702aa3-60b8-4126-871b-b5e00f91b354">Re: Stressed out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't see where a destination wedding is less expensive than a home wedding. You wouldn't have to spend money on travel costs...
    Posted by hattieshay[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, DWs can be much less expensive than a wedding at home. Originally, we had been planning a DW. We changed it to my hometown, and by the time it's all said and done, we'll have spent at least $1000 more than if we had just stuck with the DW.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Friends of mine got married alone in Jamaica (Sandals).  Most beautiful wedding photos you've ever seen!!  Total cost = $3000.00  Then they had a small family gathering when they got home to have a buffet lunch and show the family the DVD of the wedding. 

Our wedding originally started out as a destination wedding total cost would have been about $4000 for us to have a reception on a cruise ship, we changed the plan and are now having an at home wedding, total cost $30,000.00.   I WISH we would have stuck with the origianl plan!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • think about what is most important to the both of you. A destination wedding can be more cost effective, esp if you weren't wanting a large gathering, and the perk is you have the wedding and honey moon in one shot, get to see some amazing places and the people that go, get to have a blast themselves. most of the cruises have payment plans , and mostly all inclusive with the exception of souviners / and alchohol. If you both decide that this is what you want then go for it and if they want and can afford to make the installments on the trip then thats great, you could always have a little ''reception'' for everyone else and share pictures ect. We looked into doing that ourselves but we have a young child and she will just turn two when we marry and I am too nervous to take her on a big boat, i know they are safe but its just the mommy in me! she's too little!
    But if having the family there is important and they can't afford, it, just re asses.  you could plan a very small casual wedding for pretty cheap  . it doesnt have to be big and drawn out. and still go on the cruise :) just a thought! GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards