Florida-South Florida
Options

how long was your engagement?

so my FI proposed May 18 and we decided on getting married May 2013 our official date will be set in Dec when we start venue shopping, people are gasping that were waiting that long ... I didn't think it was that long ... as a matter of fact I can recall many conversations to my dad, FI's family and friends that I wanted a 1.5 -2 yr engagement which is what were at basically. Heck he waited over 8 yrs to ask me why can't I wait another 1.5 yrs for the wedding, the way I see if it doesn't bother me then they shouldnt be bothered lol ... idk

so it got me wondering how long was your engagement?

Re: how long was your engagement?

• Options
    Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It took me 6 months to find a venue!  And its taken a year to actualy plan the wedding.
  • Options
    MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do what works best for you...I wanted to get married in May and he proposed in April so there was no way we could get married in a month so we set the dat for the following year...there's nothing wrong in waiting if that is what you both want.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We were/are 18 months.

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have been I guess you can say thinking of getting married for about 3 years. The reason we waited so long is because we needed to save some money. We are horrible savers so I took us a while to get used to it.
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI proposed 10/14/10 and we are getting married 12/22/12. This will give us enough time to save money for our life as a married couple and for me to finish up school. I just wish we were married but I've gotten more comfortable with the long engagement-- plenty of time to plan (and change your mind!), time to book the best vendors before anyone else can, etc. :)

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged on our 2 year anniversary and are getting married on our 4 year anniversary. At about the 1.5 year mark, I started regretting that we were waiting so long and I was anxious to start planning... Now, with 5.5 months left, I'm freaking out because I feel like there's so much to do in so little time!

We definitely needed the time to save money, as we are paying for the majority of our wedding and we have a fairly large budget. We both had visions of a big wedding and we understood that we would need time/money to make that happen. Also, thus far, the planning process has been really enjoyable with little stress because I have had the time to thoroughly research vendors. 

We got a bunch of comments about it also, but people are always going to have opinions and are always going to voice those opinions. If you were having a 1 year engagement, you'd be getting comments about rushing into it. People are just obnoxious, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    Krysta6Krysta6 member
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged 8/10 and we are getting married 12/11. People looked at us weird when we set a date but people are also amazed at how organized I am and that practically everything is now taken care of. Who cares what they think, just remind them that you weren't asking for opinions!
  • Options
    mrsmustard12mrsmustard12 member
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged in March 2008 and my mom didn't like him and wasn't supportive and then we were moving around for my grad school so we didn't even start planning until Jan 2011!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were engaged in August 2010 and we're getting married in February 2012.  We really needed the time to find the perfect venue and vendors.  Anything less and I'd probably feel rushed and make rash decisions.  It's your wedding and you should be able to take as long as you need to make it perfect.  Happy planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ">
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged in July and are geting married in May 2012.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our engagement will be one year and 11 months - almost the same thing we were engaged may 16 and the wedding is April 14. Yes people made comments and yes it was annoying but it was best for us.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged this past labor day weekend and just set the day for 10-21-12 (based on us wanting an outdoor wedding in the fall in FL and its the day after our anniversary). I agree w/ PP- do what makes you happy.  People need varying amounts of time to save and plan- but it's all to get to what makes them happy. So if its to a few days, to a few years- if it is what makes you and FI happy- then I wouldn't worry about it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We technically got engaged in December 2006. I couldn't take the long engagement and everyone asking "whens the wedding, whens the wedding?" I gave him the ring back in 2009. We didn't have problems or break up or anything, I just wanted him to ask me when he was ready to set a date. He asked again last December and our date is 5/19/12. I still consider our engagement to be over 5 years even if I wasn't wearing the ring for a couple years...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged October 23, 2010 and we got married October 1, 2011 a few weeks short of one year. I had pretty much all my planning done by 9-10 months. It was nice to have it all done early.
    Anniversary Birthday Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards