Florida-South Florida
Options

overwhelmed

I just got engaged valentines day, and we have decided we want to get married in the keys next year either march or april, but I am really overwhelmed right now with finding a place.  I feel like I dont even know where to start looking?  And when we find a place we like I am worried I wont ask all the right questions.  How did you girls know when you found the right place?  And how did you begin your search?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: overwhelmed

• Options
    Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    first off, welcome and congrats. Im sure a lot of us can relate to what your experiencing. I would first have an idea of what your looking for, ocean front, club house, hotel, etc. Along with how many people and what type of wedding you looking for. If you dont know any of that yet, no big deal just search around and get pricing and all.

I had an idea where I wanted to have our reception, I fell in love with the place before but I did check out a couple other locations, but just knew the one I have was the one, plus for what I was paying I am getting A LOT of things. So def. make sure you see what all is included in the price. Google online what types of questions to ask for a wedding venue and a bunch of things will come up. Read all fine print too on contracts, I hope this helps. This board is awesome and you will get  alot of info from everyone. GL
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!!!! Congrats on the engagement we are engagement date twins.  As for as venue are you looking in the keys or key west? there are a couple that come to mind in key west. the reach, casa marina, hyatt key west resort and spa. hope this is of some help, and happy planning.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations! Welcome! Now take a breath and relax!  I got engaged last valentine's day and we just got married yesterday (March 6th) -I'm taking a break from packing at the moment!  I felt the same way you did, stressing at the ammount to plan and where to begin. Deciding on the venue is a big decision but things seem to fall into place after that. The other thing I noticed, is that the closer I got to the date, the less I worried about the details. (Hope This Helps)

As for a venue in the keys.... my friends got married at Morada Bay in Islandmorada.  Another knottie used the resturant on the location, Pierre's, and while everything turned out lovely, I remember her really stressing over their bill especially the bar b/c they wanted to charge per drink or something like that.

My friendes got married on the private beach there and then had passed hour'derves (sp?) and later added food stations at the open air beach house/bar and had a band play outside.
     It was one of my favorite weddings and definately worth checking out.

Good Luck, you will do great, there's a lot of good help on these boards!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    dblove2fishdblove2fish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice so far :)  We havent decided on where in the Keys we are open to any location. 
  • Options
    dblove2fishdblove2fish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    congrats alpine!  where did you get married at?  And the beach house you are talking about where was that?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    congrats and welcome :) Don't stress it - you'll find your perfect venue and everything else will fall into place!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and Happy Planning!! No stress you will find the perfect place!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

What we did was figure out how much we wanted to spend. Then, I did my research online. I looked at all different types of places... hotels, country clubs, banquet halls, etc... I looked at what they had to offer and if I really liked them, I would make an appt to see it in person.

The second I walked into my venue I knew it was THE place (and I was only in the lobby when I knew).

Good luck!
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats. Don't stress! I've been looking for a venue for months. I've already been engaged six months and still haven't signed a contract with a venue, so I understand how stressful it can be. But you will def. find the right place for you. GL!
  • Options
    babytecbabytec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and Congrats! You'll know when you've found the perfect place...it will all depend on what your priorities are...I am not in love with my venue, but the price was too good to pass up so I felt i was getting a good deal for my budget so i went with it....GL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi there and congrats!  I dont have much more to offer than the girls above me but wanted to say not to feel overwhelmed.  Just make sure you have a clear picture in your head of want you want and then go get it!!!
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    cinthia122cinthia122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I agree with Lynn's advice.  Setup a budget first then research venue's online and go out and check them out.  Happy plannings!
  • Options
    jennej24jennej24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welsome! Well, I just started by searching weddings and the location in google. \

Sorry I don't know any place in the keys! I guess we knew because we kept looking after we found the place then nothing compared to my venue in my mind. You will find the right place!

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello, congrats and welcome!

It's important to put your thoughts in order, don't stress. The girls gave you a lot of good advice, I'd start there :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards