Honeymoon Discussions

cruise honeymoon fyi's & tips wanted!

Hello :)

We are taking our first cruise for our honeymoon on the carnival magic shipping out of galveston! Are there any insider tips or do's and donts you ladies have to share with me so I can be ahead of the game when it comes to going on our honeymoon! Thanks in advance for the help :)

Re: cruise honeymoon fyi's & tips wanted!

• do pack only half of what you think you'll need
    do bring a wrap or cardigan for dinner and after-the ships can be chilly
    dont forget to bring sunscreen
    dont bring your own towel
    do bring biodegradable sunscreen if you plan on snorkeling-it wont kill coral
    do bring your own luggage to and from your stateroom-it can take hours to get there if you let the porters do it.
    do bring 1 bottle of wine per person in your luggage as they allow you can enjoy in your stateroom or pay a corkage fee at dinner
    dont forget the corkscrew if you bring wine for the stateroom

• That was great advice.  My input to add with hers is:

Bring a power cord.  Many carnival ships do not have a lot of power options (blow dryer, cameras, cell phone chargers etc)

I totally agree - do not overpack.  Take 1/2 out of what you think you will need
    I have cruised a lot and recommend NOT doing Carnival excursions.  I would check Cruise Critic for reviews on port of calls.  There are some fantastic reviews, recommendations from cruisers (not vendors), etc..  and usually cheaper and less of a cattle call.

Spring for a balcony if you can afford it - Once you go balcony you won't go back.  There are times you just want to sit out there where it's quiet, read, have some wine, before dinner, early morning and there aren't 2000 people around you.  It has made cruising way more enjoyable for us. (cruises are not our favorite but my parents and future inlaws love them so we go on them).

If money is an issue, call ahead and add cruise credit to your account when you can.  When you get on board, you have a nice stash of cash waiting on you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Amazing advice and it's much appreciated ladies!!! few questions for you!

when they take your cc/ debit card info and say they charge a 200 dollar limit and then if you exceed that you have to approve more with the staff, can you add approve more than 200 before you leave so you dont run into that problem?

when you're bringing soda on board, can you only bring 1 case? or how does that work?

The resturants, which do you recommend I know there is a pizza and steak place on board not sure of any others? we have reservations for the steak house but havent found any reviews for it yet!

as far as birth certificates/ passports go, he has his passport i'm using my birth cert. because shortly after i'll have to change my name on the passport and in tx they make you buy an entire new one not just charge a small fee. Do I just bring my birth certificate with me when boarding or do I email it to them ahead of time also?

our cruise is going to grand cayman islands, jamacia, and cozomel, if you have any suggestions on what to see while we are there please share :) and thanks again for the help its so great!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cruise-honeymoon-fyis-tips-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:ebe9285d-c521-4dd0-8f1f-805144c705c3Post:c48c68da-a889-471c-b4ed-68a16c47eb54">Re: cruise honeymoon fyi's & tips wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]That was great advice.  My input to add with hers is: Bring a power cord.  Many carnival ships do not have a lot of power options (blow dryer, cameras, cell phone chargers etc) I totally agree - do not overpack.  Take 1/2 out of what you think you will need I have cruised a lot and recommend NOT doing Carnival excursions.  I would check Cruise Critic for reviews on port of calls.  There are some fantastic reviews, recommendations from cruisers (not vendors), etc..  and usually cheaper and less of a cattle call. Spring for a balcony if you can afford it - Once you go balcony you won't go back.  There are times you just want to sit out there where it's quiet, read, have some wine, before dinner, early morning and there aren't 2000 people around you.  It has made cruising way more enjoyable for us. (cruises are not our favorite but my parents and future inlaws love them so we go on them). If money is an issue, call ahead and add cruise credit to your account when you can.  When you get on board, you have a nice stash of cash waiting on you.
    Posted by Lechillura[/QUOTE]
  • Are you sure you don't need a passport?  I'm assuming you're not changing your name until after you get back, so if you already have a passport, it'll match your license.  
  • As far as special restaurants, each ship has their own speciality.

We have been on a few of the Steakhouses and they were outstanding, romantic and worth it.  Only needed once and wouldn't recommend it for the formal night.

I have been on over 20 cruises and as far as the excursions and being "kidnapped"  do your homework. I mentioned excurisions with reputable companies. 

I have never had ANY issues and none of my family or friends have either.  I live in Tampa bay which is a major cruise port and we go often.  There are tons of incredible companies with reputable drivers, etc... .do your homework and be safe.  Carnival excurions book a million people, usually more expensive and you are in a cattle car feeling.

It's like visiting any country - be smart and do your research ahead of time. That was my point. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The cruise we went on didnt have an iron, which I think is typical, so I would bring things that don't wrinkle easily.

Don't buy the alcohol package, we defintely didn't get our money worth on that.

We went to Bermuda so a very safe location, we did our excursions through the ship, and they were good, but I think we could've done them on our much cheaper.

Also, tell them it's your honeymoon, we got some extra perks
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • <p>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cruise-honeymoon-fyis-tips-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:ebe9285d-c521-4dd0-8f1f-805144c705c3Post:0648f159-2288-4035-bcda-bcca2c84d6a1">Re: cruise honeymoon fyi's & tips wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amazing advice and it's much appreciated ladies!!! few questions for you! when they take your cc/ debit card info and say they charge a 200 dollar limit and then if you exceed that you have to approve more with the staff, can you add approve more than 200 before you leave so you dont run into that problem? when you're bringing soda on board, can you only bring 1 case? or how does that work? The resturants, which do you recommend I know there is a pizza and steak place on board not sure of any others? we have reservations for the steak house but havent found any reviews for it yet! as far as birth certificates/ passports go, he has his passport i'm using my birth cert<strong><u>. because shortly after i'll have to change my name on the passport and in tx they make you buy an entire new one not just charge a small fee.</u></strong> Do I just bring my birth certificate with me when boarding or do I email it to them ahead of time also? our cruise is going to grand cayman islands, jamacia, and cozomel, if you have any suggestions on what to see while we are there please share :) and thanks again for the help its so great! In Response to Re: cruise honeymoon fyi's & tips wanted! :
    Posted by court4608[/QUOTE]

this is NOT true.  your passport wil have a date of issuance on it.  as long as you apply to change the name on the passport with in one year from that date there is no charge. they will issue you a new passport with your married name and void your old maiden name one. do that instead of toting around your birth cert.

as far as when to provide your paperwork you'll give it to them at embarkation and (if you have a passport) input the info online before the cruise.
    </p>

• edited October 2012
    oh my goodness thank you SO much for every bit of the info! to the rest of the responses also! I have been trying to research the different things and did notice that grand cayman was alot more expensive than the others and i'm most excited about cozomel also!!!!! since you went on the same ship, how early do you suggest I think it said they start letting you on at 10 am? is that correct? I wanted to get there early i've seen the lines to wait to get on the ship it looks outrageous! lol and about the cash acct or spending acct, when you do your online check in, can I just enter the cc/ debit number and do "no limit" to our spending acct? were pretty good about not going over budget and watch every dime we spend so I want to be able to be care free and not have to approve money every other day! AND about that free jewlery! you had to go searching around for it? or they just tell you the shops that give out free jewlery?! thats amazing!

Thanks so much for your time girl! its helping me SO much!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cruise-honeymoon-fyis-tips-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:ebe9285d-c521-4dd0-8f1f-805144c705c3Post:2b3efb13-cd9b-417e-b82b-f0d5c47e3466">Re: cruise honeymoon fyi's & tips wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I took a cruise on carnival last year (out of Galveston, same cruise as you). What I learned: Get there EARLY!!!! I can't stress this enough!! We waited for about 3 hours to get from the front door in Galveston to onto the ship. We got there shortly after they started boarding. If you can pay for the VIP pass, do this!!!!!! Otherwise, take something to keep you occupied for a few hours. You have to turn over your bags to them when boarding, but by the time I got on the ship they were at my door. While you are waiting to get onto the ship, you have to go through "airport" security screening. You have to take out any electronics, wine that you bring (it has to be carried on in your carry on luggage not your big bags), take off all hats and sunglasses. When you are getting off back in Galveston, opt to take your own bag. Those that do this get off first. If you tell them to take it for you, you have to wait until the end of the line and then search through a large warehouse area to find you bag. When you get off in Galveston, have your passport out and ready. It speeds things up going through customs. While on the cruise: Take a small purse (over the shoulder sling). I bought one in Jamaica that could hold my wallet and gum. It was easier than trying to put everything in my pockets. Plus it was cute so I could use it on the ship as well for my Carnival card. I would suggest using the carnival excursions. Like some have said, if something happens they will know to hold the ship for you. While on your sea days, they host many many events. All three days while at sea they host a tea party (at least they did on our ship).. And it WAS awesome. Basically they serve a bunch of appetizers and desserts. A lot of people assume it a normal tea party, so we never really had a big crowd there. They also host shopping talk events. I highly suggest going to these. They will tell you what to buy in the ports, give you maps, and give you "secret" things to get in each port. For us, they had a Diamonds International charm bracelet to get, plus a charm from each port. They also told us about free earrings and necklaces to get. It's like a scavenger hunt for FREE jewelry. They also tell you who they suggest for certain items. (For example, Cozumel may have 3 places that you can buy silver from, but the shoppers suggest store XYZ.)  The booze on the boat was expensive, but still not a bad price. I bought jewelry on the ship more than anything. I got dirt cheap watches, bracelets, and necklaces. Their spa on the ship is EXPENSIVE, but it isn't bad. We didn't do any services there, but we did venture into their workout room. I enjoyed running up on level like 14. It was AWESOME to run in the mornings out on the open ocean. It was a bit windy, but very nice none-the-less. Jamaica: It is nice. But if you do an excursion, pick something close to where you make port. We went on a rum estate tour and it was awesome, but the drive SUCKED major!!! It was a 2 hour drive on tiny roads around mountains. It was nice to see the island, but I wouldn't take that excursion again. Everything is DIRT cheap here. This is where we bought most of our duty free alcohol (of course we are a rum estate so we had the opportunity). Grand Cayman: Yikes!!! EXPENSIVE!!! We went to a sea turtle place on our excursion. It was a nice drive - not crazy like Jamaica. We got to stop in Hell (Grand Cayman) LOL!! (We went to hell and back on our cruise). I would suggest you buy as little as possible here, unless you're ok with spending more. You can get the same things in Cozumel for a bit cheaper than you can here. Cozumel: I loved this place! I think this was my favorite stop on the whole cruise. I did snuba diving here. It is a mixture of scuba and snorkling. You are under water breathing air, but you only have a 30 ft hose because your air tank is on a little raft behind you/your group. I would suggest a water activity here because the water is BEAUTIFUL and they are close to the port. All the shops and stuff are right as you get off the ship. THat makes it nice if you are going to be doing lots of shopping (we did). This is also a good place to stock up on booze if you didn't in Jamaica. They also had places giving out free samples of tequila (yummy)! Hope that helps ya out some!
    Posted by xcalygrl[/QUOTE]
  • I dont know how many times I could say thankkkk you!!!! nobody else has gone into detail like that for me! i'll be sure to write you if I get stumped on anything else! SO excited about the cruise even though waiting in a line sounds dreadful! :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cruise-honeymoon-fyis-tips-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:ebe9285d-c521-4dd0-8f1f-805144c705c3Post:645ba280-cdd2-4aa8-a9f7-dcabc2244456">Re: cruise honeymoon fyi's & tips wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]-I think we got there as they were just starting to let people on, and it was already CRAZY!!!! Like I said, we waited for a good 3 hours to get onto the boat (after I parked the truck). I would suggest you get down there around 8ish if at all possible. Have one person get out at the port with your bags, and then have the other go park. Then have that person go back and meet person one at the port and work on getting on the ship together. You have to wait to get to the security check point, then go through that, then you go to where they check your ID, passport, CC, and give you the carnival card, then you do this photo op, then you get on the boat. (The photo op is in front of a backdrop right before you board the ship). -When we checked in, they had a bunch of desks to go to so we could get our carnival cards. When we were there, we had them swipe our credit cards and didn't have to worry about approving amounts. They do make you sign a receipt at the end of the cruise just like a store would if you were purchasing something there. I put in my CC online, but they still swiped it and I think that is what made them not do a limit. (either that or they asked and I told them to just do the no limits). -They will tell you which shops the jewelry is at (and they will give you map - ours were at Diamonds International and Effy). You have to find your way to the shops (all really easy and REALLY close to the ports) to get the jewelry. They only do the jewelry in GC and Cozumel. The jewelry is super simple (I got the charm bracelet and a handful of charms,  two pairs of stud earrings, and 2 necklaces to match the earrings), but it is free afterall. I think that answered all your questions... If you got any more, I'll gladly help if I can :-)
    Posted by xcalygrl[/QUOTE]
  • I just have one thing to add...  You need a passport.  Birth Certificates are no longer accepted for any type of international travel.
  • Name change for your passport is free if you do it within one year of when your original passport was issued. http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cruise-honeymoon-fyis-tips-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:ebe9285d-c521-4dd0-8f1f-805144c705c3Post:1cf1aa33-6932-4559-a17b-d91f22c5fe31">Re: cruise honeymoon fyi's & tips wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Do I just bring my birth certificate with me when boarding or do I email it to them ahead of time also" Bring your birth certificate with you.  They will examine it when you board the ship.  I think you will also need a photo ID (driver's license). I always recommend bringing a collapsable laundry hamper.  It helps keep dirty clothes in order. I disagree about not taking the cruise line's excursions. <strong> If you book the cruise line's excursions and something delays your return, the ship will wait for you.</strong>  Otherwise, you'll be on your own getting to the next port!  This is especially true in Jamaica and Mexico.  My daughter was "kidnapped" by a taxi driver.  He took her to his neighborhood so he could show off the beautiful 6 foot tall blond senorita he had picked up!  He then took her to her destination and didn't charge her anything.  Others haven't been so lucky.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]
    Actually this is not necessarily true.

• Gettn married very soon, and this is exactly what we needed to know?!!! thanks!
  • I'm getting married on a cruise in March 2014. I just wanted to check, but as long as you are in line to board the boat by their cut-off time, you'll be able to get on the boat, correct?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards