Florida-South Florida
Options

Time Line suggestion needed~

Ok so I need your advice - like a poll I guess.

My venue includes 4 hours of service for my package (coctail reception) -

We planned
Ceremony at 6:30
Service (ie bar opens, passed food begins) at 7:00
Carving table, tapas table opens at 8:00
Cake Cutting at 9:00
all food service ends (no more passed trays and they stop stocking the tapas/carving stations at 10:00
party has to end at 11:00 (stupid residential restrictions!)

all seems fine EXCEPT we just found out that our 4 hours INCLUDES the ceremony according to the Venue - which means they start breaking down the tables, bar etc. at 10:30 - half an hour before the end of the party!!!! I agrued of course that I get 4 hours of service and that service doesnt start until 7:00 and should go to 11:00.  they dont buy that - they set up for the ceremony so it's included in their "service"~ They will keep the bar open another half hour and not break anything down but they want me to pay $2.50 per person to keep it open another half hour.  I have no more fight left in me so the advice I need is pay the extra money to keep the bar open another half hour or let them break down while the last of us are dancing while double fisting the drinks we got at the 10:30 last call?  I know its only a half hour and everyone will be winding down and leaving so I just cant tell if the money spent would be worth it....
image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Time Line suggestion needed~

• Options
    Dee729Dee729 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    oooo tough call....$2.50pp might not seem like a lot..but it depends how many guests you are having...for me, its 200 people...so $500 is huge!

I would just not worry about spending the money on the extra half hour...let them sober up and be able to drive. 

Good luck sweetie! 
  • Options
    bluebookbluebook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Adri - is this in your contract? What's the contract actually say?  Quote it to me so I can see if there's any wiggle room you can argue. If you can't argue, I'd probably pay the $2.5 if I have the money, but not if I really need that money for something else.
  • Options
    Jeni10cscJeni10csc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends but I think people leave once alcohol stops being served, I really do.  Also, realize that by 11, there will be people who have left so you won't be paying $2.50 per guest for all the guests, only for those that are still there.  At least that's how my venue does the "extra time".  HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dalie~ whats your email and I'll send it to you if you want to look at it.  I'm very good with contracts and i read and re-read and there really isnt much wiggle room in there.  The contract is very uncomplicated, like a proposal, and it just says 6:30-10:30 cocktail reception.  But since we arent starting the bar or food until 7 and the party goes until 11 we thought no problem 6:30-10:30 is the same four hours as 7-11 right? wrong! they include the ceremony and elsewhere in the contract sure enough it says 4 hours including the ceremony.  So even though the bar wont be serving drinks that first 30 minutes it counts.  And my arguing points kept getting blown up because of concessions they made like waiving the seting up of fee for the ceremony etc.

We decided to just pay the little bit extra - we only have 100 guests and so it will just be 250 bucks - (just like $$ grows on trees right! lol) but they promised me that if no one is drinking and if a lot of people leave they will refund me some of that money.  It will also keep them from breaking down the tables and stuff while people are still there.  I will just have to reconsider additional tips for the people there to make up the loss.

LESSON LEARNED: No matter how closely you read your contract there might still be surprises!! and like everyone else will say - put it all down in writting on your contract~ every possible detail!!
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    bears4lifebears4life member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to say I don't think it matters. Your dj could make an announcement that the bar is closing at 10:30 and for people to get their final drinks but if you have the extra $250 then go for it, since I wouldn't want them breaking down the tables then...just make sure you get it in writing that they'll refund you!
  • Options
    bluebookbluebook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    adri - djbluebook at gmail dot com

but it sounds like you guys have it figured it out.  in the grand scheme of things it's worth it if you're going to enjoy the party better because of it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards