Florida-South Florida
Options

DIY Centerpieces

If anyone is making their own, can you please share ideas/ what you are using? Maybe some pics? I am not crafty at all!  I am sure I will have a very hard time with this so I would like to start practicing now lol

Re: DIY Centerpieces

• Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm making my own centerpieces! I was going to go with the florist but my centerpieces are so so easy to make and are saving me quite a bit of money.

I'm doing silk orchids submerged in water in a 12in vase. I'm putting 2 floating candles on top as well as 4 votives on the table itself. The lighting in my reception will be pretty low so the candles are really important.

Here are a few pictures of my mockup--please ignore my messy house and the colors of my candles-- I didn't have much to work with. The final centerpieces will have white candles, clearly!: 

There's more info in my bio if you're interested.

If you're not interested in flowers, I've seen some gorgeous centerpieces that use all candles. Typically, they are an assortment of different heights candles on a mirror. It's really prety! 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I tried this with roses and mine kept floating to the top! lol
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_diy-centerpieces-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:06e8db53-b179-4572-a81d-d5ee5c374379Post:6ec92a51-8ab1-4a49-abed-e4f791c275e5">Re: DIY Centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tried this with roses and mine kept floating to the top! lol
    Posted by HeatherL212[/QUOTE]
    Were you using fake or real? Did you keep them on the stem? Also, some flowers just submerge better than others, regardless if they're silk or real!

Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Real, I was trying to do something like this on the right...

But I changed my mind (and colors) and wanted to do low ones with these...

I love the orange roses with the red at the top!!
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ahh, those submerged flowers are beyond my limited expertise!! lol.

So, you're looking to replicate that bouquet into low centerpieces? I think that's totally do-able. Are those roses, sunflowers, and dahlias?

If you're brave, you can order some fresh flowers from www.fiftyflowers.com and try to DIY. There are tons of helpful tutorials online about how to make your own real flower centerpieces. It would be a lot of work but if you're OCD like me it's nice to know you're getting exactly what you want and you may even save money (or you may not-- it's worth getting a quote from a florist..!)

• Options
    edited December 2011

I def have to DIY, there is no other option :( I like to keep things simple. I know this isn't a good  picture but I was going to attempt this with a 4x4 or 6x6 low, square vase but for whatever reason FI doesn't like it (he can't explain why, but I think it's the giant green leaf).

The venue comes with a large votive candle on each table so I'm thinking about not buying the little ones...

• Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is definitely definitely do-able! If you choose to go with roses, Fiftyflowers has roses in bulk that are a pretty good deal.

Here's a good article from Fifty Flowers on how to DIY: http://www.fiftyflowers.com/custom/Diyweddingflowers.htm

Fiftyflowers also has videos about how to make your own flowers and I'm sure there are a TON on YouTube. 

If you want to do just simple centerpieces, you can totally do it. I'd practice ahead of time though.

Be sure to check out Sam's Club and Costco for fresh flowers too. They have resonable prices. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yayy!!! I have a whole year to practice!! Thank you so much :)
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No problem!! The girls on the DIY board are really helpful if you get stuck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am making centerpieces.  I am having a beach themed wedding, so I found these centerpieces online, but they were very expensive, so I decided to make my own.  I went to the Dollar Tree to get tall vases, white shells, and colored sea glass.  I am very excited to put these together and will not be doing so until the day before the wedding.  My parents closet is filled with wedding supplies!  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine are similar to Faith's, except with roses. I can't figure out why yours floated to the top. I just bought some big huge washers, put the stem through, and then put a pin through the stem, followed by piling rocks on top. Hmm. Well, sounds like you're not interested in submerging anymore, but if you change your mind and need help, let me know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies! I may still be interested in submerging some of the outer tables :) I would like to mix it up a little. I will def try the washers! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards