Florida-South Florida

Not doing a father / daughter dance

My father has requested not doing a father daughter dance because he's too embarassed.

I'm upset.....

Will this look wierd or bad? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Not doing a father / daughter dance

• FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you really want a dance? If no, then don't worry about it. If you do want a Father Daughter dance, I'd tell your dad that you'd really like him to dance with you, even just for a few measures of a song. If he's nervous about being a bad dancer, you could take dance lessons. If he's too afraid to really be up there, I wouldn't force him. But if you have really looked forward to the dance and he's just a little embarrassed, I'd ask him to please do it.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Gissy4857Gissy4857 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. Talk to your dad if it's something that's important for you

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not doing a father daughter dance because I don't want to cry all over the place, and I know something like that will make me bawl my eyes out.
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also agree! Like Faith mentioned, just talk to him about it. Suggest taking a couple dance lessons. Maybe if he practices he won't be so embarrassed. Or you could have your FI and his mom do their dance at the same time. That way all the focus won't be just on him.
  • edited December 2011

My instant response is that you'll regret not doing one. Yes, it'll get emotional and maybe your father is afraid of crying in public, if thats the case pick a happier song thats upbeat. You don't have to do a traditional dance but I think doing one is important. Get to the bottom of why your father doesn't want to do one, if he doesnt believe he has good dance skills then maybe your can take classes together. Either way if you truely want a dance with him, it's important you speak up. You'll regret it if you dont.
    HTH!

*February Siggy*
    <3 Favorite Picture of me and my man <3 <br>Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Don't feel bad just tell him how much it means to you if you really want it. My dad is probably not coming and it's killing me but I see it as his loss. So I know even if he comes, we will definitely not have a father/daughter dance. He left my mom a year and a half ago and he's probably ashamed to show his face to family And friends. If he does come he will only stay for the ceremony then leave right after. I'm dealing with it day by day... Good luck and I hope he changes his mind!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 134 image 102 image 15 image 17
  • edited December 2011
    My dad just said we had to take lessons. Will your dad do it then?

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • edited December 2011
    Talk to him for sure, especially if it's important to you. My uncle took lessons for my cousins wedding and it was so cute seeing him go around the dance floor mouthing "one two three - one two three" - especially because he's French and you could picture the accent - also a more upbeat song may make him feel more at ease like people said
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lizzied82lizzied82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He lives up in Massachusetts, so lessons aren't really an option. My mother claims they have never danced one song together.

So it looks like we just won't have one....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If it means a lot to you, try talking to him about it.  Is your FI doing a dance with his mom?  If not, I don't think it will be awkward. 

We did no parent dances, just asked our parents to come join us midway through our first dance.  I don't regret it at all - I have a great relationship with my dad, and he walked me down the aisle, but dancing is just not us.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not doing one and I won't miss it. I know my dad would hate it, and my FI doesn't want to dance with his mother either, so it worked out perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards