Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Having 2nd thoughts on the HM we booked...

So now i'm worried....I keep checking Trip Advisor and while I know everyone has different opinons I'm concerned with what I'm reading / hearing.  I was promised from the TA that the El Doradado Royale was a luxury resort...

Things I'm hearing is that the beds are horrible which was a main concern of mine since my last vacay I couldn't sleep for a week cause I felt like I was on a cement  bed! Mostly, the complaint is over and over again it's relaxing but boring and the night entertainment is cheesy :-(  ... The ocean has these big sand bags and its rocky...also heard that Maroma Beach is more pristine....can you hear the screams in my head?

The TA recommneded against Secrets Maroma Beach but told me I was better off going to the El Dorado - I'm second guessing it now...safe to say I've emailed her.

Don't know what we can do since we put a deposit down? We would still be flying into Cancun regardless but my concern is the hotel being booked?... the major concern is that the Eldorado IS so small and not much going on we'll be bored to death. Don't get me wrong I like relaxation but I don't wanna be like two 80 yr olds on our Honeymoon!!!!!!!

Anyone had experince w/ The Eldorado Royale or Secrets Maroma or both in Riveira Maya....What's your take?  ... Your input/feedback would be much appreciated.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Having 2nd thoughts on the HM we booked...

• Options
    Let me start by saying, I have NOT been there yet. BUT I have pretty much stalked secrets maroma beach... in a good way. :)

That's where we will be staying for our honeymoon-

1.) They HAD some problems about a year ago (when I emailed secrets about the bad reviews on tripadvisor, she said that they had taken it personal, and fixed everything that people had complained about.

2.) The beach is one of the best in the world.

3.) It's AL & adult only.. no screaming 3 year olds!!

4.) If the only bad thing lately is the timeshare people, that is FINE with me.. I'll scream NOOO at them, problem solved. :)

5.) I'm sure that some of those people on trip advisor are just being ILL. I checked even the "best" resorts in mexico (out of our budget) even they had bad reviews.. some people are just stupid.

I've never heard of the place you are staying, but I do know alot about secrets maroma beach.. it is nice.

Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You have to be careful with a travel agent, because she may be getting a better comission on a place that she is recommending.
  • Options
    Some TripAdvisor people just cannot be pleased.  They can take negatives out of everything and that is all they post.  The honeymoon will be what you make of it.  It is YOUR honeymoon! 
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have absolutely no experience with either, but like PP's I wanted to say that you CAN'T always trust reviews of places online. Whenever I'm going to book a new hotel, I read copious reviews online, and there are ALWAYS some bad ones, even if we go and have a fantastic experience. People will never be completely pleased and it could be that one guest DID have a bad experience with a rude concierge or whatever, but that doesn't mean you will run into that person or experience.

If you can't re-book without losing your deposit, I'd stick with it. I have no idea of the layout of the area or anything, but if it IS boring, can you go off the resort and do other activities elsewhere?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    DH and I honeymooned at Secrets Maroma and absolutely loved it. I had a bad experience with a TA, so I booked it through Orbitz (saved us about $2000). The food and service were great. It is definitely a couples feel to it. I never experienced El Dorado (not sure if it is the one next to Secrets). However the resort next to Secrets had a very European feel to it. Maroma Beach Resort, which is 2 resorts down, looked pretty amazing though.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MYLOVE you have nothing to worry about. We had our DW at El Dorado Royale and seriously it was more than we ever dreamed of. We had 30 guests that are still raving about it and have gone back there a second time.

The resort is beautiful and the whole ambiance is very romantic. I was wiggin out to when we read one bad review every once and a while but we experienced it first hand and it was awesome and we are huge fuss budgets. I think every now and then you will read a bad review about any resort just the nature of people. You will not be sorry!!
  • Options
    I can't thank you all enough for quelling my fears!

FUNNSUN - Thank God ...I sighed a big sigh of relief when I just read your comment. I'm so relieved w/ what you wrote. I emailed the TA in a panic so I will email her again. I spoke w/ another friend of mine she said anytime you're south of Cancun you will be fine. 

Just as a side note Funnsun.
    ...So you didn't find the beds rock hard? Did you stay in the Infinity Suites? That's where we are booked.  Any extra info you can give me I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks so much.

Thanks to you all and may you all have a very Happy New Year!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards