Florida-South Florida
Options

Oh, living with my Peruvian parents.

So I have choir rehearsal today. Had. It started 8 minutes ago. I was about to leave, when my dad catches me looking for my key near his desk.I tell him "Is there anything else you need before I leave, dad?"And my mum walks into the room with her stuffy nose and a box of Kleenex (they're both down with a cold). She takes it upon herself to reply and I quote:"You're not going to no rehearsal! You have to feed me."I did a double-take between her face and my car keys. I wanted to laugh but I knew she was dead serious. And they do this all the time. I'm not kidding, if they say I'm not allowed out of the house I'm not (FI has decided this is Amish behaviour, lol). But eh, I'm so used to it, it's no big deal anymore, I just laugh it off.So now I'm in the kitchen, waiting for their doggone mazamorra de Maizena to be ready so I can feed my children - uh, parents.Good parenting training!

Re: Oh, living with my Peruvian parents.

• Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's hilarious. They are obviously old school but hey, whatever works for your house! Good job mommy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Andra, my dear, they probably invented old school, lol.I'm not allowed out on dates (unless I'm chaperoned) or two be home alone with my FIANCE! Who has, by the way, been so terribly understanding with this whole thing!
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just about to say what a gem he is!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Putting up with my dad is no easy job!This one time he caught us napping in the living room. He snuck to his room while we were still asleep, took his crazy arse trumpet out of his closet, went downstairs to the living room and PLAYED IT.FI and I nearly had a heart attack. Good fun, no?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm Peruvian too! yay for mazamorra de maizena! Kudo's to you for making it from scratch.My parents are opposite your parents and not strict AT ALL.They were when I was younger.Don't worry, it just takes time.BTW are you the oldest child?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YO! LOL hey homie!I think it's just my parents, because in highschool all my friends did whatever the heck they wanted! And I sat home. Oh my wasted youth, lol.But yes, I am the oldest. My little brother is 12, and I wonder what's going to happen once I move out :|Where from Peru are you from?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When you're the oldest (from my experience), you tend to have to break the barriers in terms of curfews,  and travel.Luckily my younger sister and younger brother have it WAY easier than I ever did! I broke a bunch of barriers to make way for their freedoms :0)I was born in Lima. My dad is from Lima, my mom from San Ramon, Chanchamayo.What part are you from?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was born in La Molina, Lima. My dad and mum are from Lima, too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah? Cool! We're in monterrico. Did you go to school there? I ask because your english seems a bit british. My sis went to a british school in lima and used to speak like a brit a bit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    XDYes, actually. I went to Peruano Britanico, by Universidad de Lima, just across from Jockey Plaza? So my English was definitely British upon coming to America. It was a funny trasition, but now I sound normal I swear!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know that school! I went to an american school, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, which is not that far from there :)how cool!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a friend in UM who went to Roosevelt!It's so cool we come from the same bit of the world ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I graduated from UM in 05, maybe I know them? small world!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Luke Fisher, he was class of 07 I think? So he might be a bit too young, but hey, two Peruvians going to UM, getting hitched and going on TheKnot! What are the chances?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah, I'm too old. I don't know him. Nice to have you onboard :)
  • Options
    murrc2murrc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Butting in from a half Peruvian....my dad is Peruvian and was born in Pucalpa and lived in Lima until he was 18, moved to Canada b/c it was easier to get in the US after living there, where he met my mom....I also got the stricter side of him (I'm the oldest too), he wouldn't let me shave my legs until the day before high school, I was 1 of 2 in our middle school with hairy legs! Thankfully FI and I live together but I went home after college and the rules were still the rules.
    image Cathy & Chris January 30, 2010 image Isabella and Olivia Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have always wanted to go to Pucallpa!LOL see! I wasn't allowed to wear make up till I turned 18 (though I started with eyebrow pencil at 17). Never dated before my FI (though I was a complete social retard and that more by choice...). Always went out with a chaperone. Oh, rules!
  • Options
    murrc2murrc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We go back every 4 or 5 years(my dad more) and Pucallpa (thanks for the correct spelling) was awesome, it was just so different. Let me ask you guys a question, are you doing anything during the ceremony or reception that would be a Peruvian custom? I wanted to maybe incorporate something...
    image Cathy & Chris January 30, 2010 image Isabella and Olivia Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was researching what kind of really really really Peruvian custom I could incorporate, and the only thing I got was the pulling of the charms from the cake by the bridesmaids. My dad told me some stories, though. In Huancayo the families of the bride and groom decorate a chuppah (non-Jewish but that's the idea) of sorts, representing how they are helping to build the couple's future.Another one was the salutation of the matriarchs, which I think I'm doing. Grandmas and mother are seated on the first row, and the bride bids them goodbye (or just salutes them ... lol) before she reaches the altar, before the father gives her away.I'll ask for more, because I do want some Peruvian juiciness in the event!
  • Options
    murrc2murrc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, I came up with the same charm pulling and don;t love the idea, I am intrigued by the mother grandmother thing. Keep me posted if you find something else! =)
  • Options
    Mari-LMari-L member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMg totally butting in cus I am too Peruvian...but my story is simillar to arlete's..jk exactly like arlete's ..cus im the lil sister.. heheSo like she said.. my parent's aren't super strict.. so i thought all peruvian parent's where that way.I guess not.Oh and for peruvian custom at a wedding we might have peruvian appetizers, (My FI and I love peruvian food, even though he is cuban)..but i know my sis ( arlete) found info on peruvian performers here in miami and she might do that.They are dancers, guitarist and cajon , or the whole band and dancers. I forgot their name..but i'll ask my sis for it.We also plan on getting married in a church in peru..which i'm very excited for. ( beside our civil wedding here)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards