Florida-South Florida
Options

SFL Knottie Lawyers!

Hi girlies! I know there are a few here (or at least that's what I remember reading?). Anyway, I have a legal question for you: By Fla Stat ch 934, it is illegal to record a person without their consent, correct? Under what circumstances does this become legal, if any at all? I'm asking because today at work a gentleman was recording my Sup and other crew members with his iPhone WITHOUT their consent or knowledge. When I called Broward County Sheriffs office the officer told me that because the gentleman was in a public setting, he can record without consent. Is that true? I just think it's bogus that we're standing in the middle of an airport, this unknown guy is recording my ticket counter and I can't tell him to shut it off. Grr.
DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: SFL Knottie Lawyers!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    from a security standpoint I dont see how this is allowed - I would send security on him... no reason why he should vbe video taping the workings of an airport - seems fishy to me
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm no lawyer but I agree with Alissa.Where is Ayana? She's a lawyer...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree, Alissa! As the Lead, I have the responsibility of deeming when a situation is unsafe. When I saw him recording and he refused to delete it, I ripped up his boarding pass. He was originally upset because apparently our airline messed up the reservation HE booked. He started to record when the Sup was talking to him. I didn't catch him till he was at least two-five minutes in.
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    JaiKriBabyJaiKriBaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lawyer here, but due to the nature of my job I cannot give legal advice (and most, if not all, lawyers should be reluctant to do so in this setting).  Referring this type of question to airport security is most likely your best bet, as the pp suggested.  GL :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And one more thing that comes to mind...the BSO can only speak on the criminal ramifications of the man's actions, not the civil ones. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Jai. The BSO was a butthead, and that is putting it lightly.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're welcome.  Wish I could help more! My stepmom used to be a BSO 911 dispatcher, so I'm familiar with their overall lovely demeanor ;-)
  • Options
    JillianLLJillianLL member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a lawyer (just a paralegal) and have no authority to give out legal advice. I have worked for lawyers for 5 years. I would think it IS legal to record someone, but illegal to release that recorded information, especially for a profit. Just as it is legal, for example, take a picture of someone on the street who is dressed funny so you can show other people. Its still recorded, whether live or not, but its not against the law to use your devices for capturing moments. Again, just my opinion from a "reasonable" standpoint which is usually how the law is judged. What is and isn't reasonable.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi there, I would highly recommend doing some google searches. I have heard (and cannot guarantee) that you can record, but if it is not consensual by both parties it cannot be used. I just cannot find the specific statute on that. I was able to find this: http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/florida.htmlbut there may be more google-able information. Also, if your airline/office has a general counsel dept it would be best to bring it up to their attention. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards