Florida-South Florida
Options

Poll: Your dress vs. the peanut gallery

Hello again knotties.. =)I've been doing some heavy dress shopping lately and am feeling the time crunch. Suffice to say I'm considering taking a day off during the week to hit a few more stores. I have to get this done! There are two dresses that have lingered in my head after all this shopping. What I'm curious about though is this: when you went dress shopping, did you fall in love with something that your mom, family, and/or bridal party didn't like? Is that what you purchased? Do you regret your choice?Dress 1 is Sarah Danielle #5525Dress 2 is Maggie Sottero #SD5220I haven't had the "omg! I love it so much I'm crying" moment and seriously doubt I will. It's hard for me to really decide which dress I like the most because one dress was too small from the waist down with the upper half sticking out a foot ahead of me and the other is missing the adjustable strap - the reason I liked that dress in patricular. Plus I want to know if that flower is cheesy looking in person. =\My mom's opinion of #1 is "I don't like it.. it's linen.." O_oSorry this turned out to be so long.. I appreciate your input ladies! I think I'm as indecisive as Alissa. ;)

Re: Poll: Your dress vs. the peanut gallery

• Options
    edited December 2011
    They're both gorgeous!!!! I personally like the waist on # 2 (hello, flattering!) - both both are stunning. For me, I went with my mom & sister..tried on 4 dresses total and loved # 3 and just bought it. I am regretting this decision but I love my dress and just felt... good? I don't know. I am shocked at the way i handled my dress shopping but I became overwelmed after haing dresses 1 and 2.. so when I loooooved 3, that was it. Boom. I bought. My mom and sister loved it, but my grandmother's were a bit surprised by my choice - there was no WOW, THAT'S GORGEOUES.. i got sad at first, but now I realize that I'll look good because I'll be happy! hahaha.. plus, I can always renew my vows in 5 years and get a new dress ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ask the bridal salon to clamp the dresses for you - they put these clips on the back of the dress to make it fit your bod... it will help you guage how the dress will look in your size. Whatever dress you buy, make sure it fits your style and personality, no one else will have to wear it but you. What dress do you feel best in? What dress do you see yourself walking down the aisle in? That's the dress for you. If you dont have that feeling, keep looking :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I was down to two dresses my mother campaigned VERY VERY VERY hard for one vs the other and In my heart I knew if I got that one, I'd be doing it for her and not me since I had a preference towards the other.In the end I'm so glad I got the one I liked better rather than listening to her and getting something that my heart wasn't feeling.Dress shopping is tough but keep looking, don't settle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ps - if it helps any, linen wrinkles VERYYY easy and while I loveeeeeee the linen dress - it's gorgeous, I would worry that it would wrinkle in 30 seconds.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    avmn10avmn10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For some reason I can't find the second dress?  Anyway, I really like the first dress!!! There were a number of dresses that I liked, but my mom didn't.  I know a lot of girls will probably say, "get whatever you love, you're the one who has to wear it." But for me, it was really important that my mom like my dress.  In the end, we both love the dress I chose (and my FMIL).  They both cried when I put it on.  I didn't get too emotional, until after I decided it was going to be the one, but that might have been more b/c it made me realize I really was getting married, ha.  GL! 
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress has the same rouching as the maggie. I think it will be more flattering. And as Alissa said, linen=wrinkles! My step-mom and grandma both did the "oh that's nice" thing. My mom was in tears. So, I just went with what I thought looked best and felt most beautiful in. I know I made the right choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JillianLLJillianLL member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldnt find the second one either. But I have to agree with the other ladies that you should get the one that YOU love. To hell with what anyone else thinks. If its a dress that makes you never want to take it off, you know its the one for you and dont let anyone else's opinions sway you. For one day its all about you, so get the one that makes you feel like that!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    and um disregard my typos today. whoopsies
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with all the girls Irene. You need to end up with the dress you love. This is the one thing in your life you can say..."mom-i dont care what you say im getting this one" LOL. I dont regret my choice at all, but i wont pretend i havent had many panic attacks about my dress. Im almost as bad as alissa lol. Sorry lis. I do have to say though. I tried like 100 on, and i KEPT going back to this one. It was about the 10th one i tried and everybody started crying. It was weird how that happened. Literaly, my entire bridal party and my mom all cried. Maybe that had an influence on me? I dunno. I love them though girl...keep up the good choices!!!
  • Options
    Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I absolutely love the Maggie one. Its so elegant and beautiful. IMO I would go with that one. The other one is very pretty too, but I like the Maggie better.I went dress shopping three different times, first time with my mom, second with my mom, FMIL, FSIL, and third with my mom and MOH. I just ordered my dress this past weekend, its also a Maggie Sottero dress. The dress I ordered I tried on the last time I went shopping and just fell in love with and it thought about all the other ones I tried on and just kept thinking of this particular one I ordered. I didnt cry either just knew it was the one. Although I did want all of their opinions as to what looked good and all, ultimately made my decision on the best on I liked. It stinks when you like alot you try on but thats why the help of someone there could help you decide.HTH.When searching the Maggie Sottero, you have to search the whole collection then you can see her dress she's talking about.
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok they're both beautiful but I'd go with the maggie just because it's one-shoulder and I've got a serious thing for one shoulder dresses. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. PS- You have impeccable dress taste!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BTW I think both dresses are GORGEOUS!I will agree though that linen wrinkles and may not hold up as well through out the day!
  • Options
    Kitty315Kitty315 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dress #2 here for those who couldn't see it: http://bit.ly/VkqArCourtney - lol @ a new dress in 5 years. Not a bad idea. My mom had a similar reaction to your grandmothers. I felt the same way you did. I just want to wow FI and I can't even manage to wow my own mom. lol.. But I think she's very much like me in the sense that it's just a dress, blah blah.. w/e. Alissa - I had the top clamped the first time I tried on the Sarah Danielle but the second time I tried it on with mom in tow, the lady didn't even help me after giving me the dress. I had a different associate on each visit. I do worry about the linen wrinkling quickly.. it's part of my OCDness. But I'm also for going in the opposite direction of most gowns. Something different, per se. But again.. the wrinkles!! aaahh! lolAmy - That's usually what I tell my mom (or people) anyways. But usually, all eyes aren't on me. This time, they will be. And it's nerve wracking! You just want to look good on what is probably going to be the most documented day in a girl's life..My hang-up with the Maggie dress is that I found it at Patricia's South but they didn't have the strap (or couldn't find it) so I didn't get to see what the strap and flower on it looks like (if it looks really cheap, if it's too big, real close to my face, etc) or if I even like it with the strap. I definitely didn't care for it strapless, though. When I went to Brides of Florida with a picture of the Maggie above and SD5230 (http://bit.ly/Z72bE) they told me they just sold both last week but could order it, yadda yadda. This is exhausting! lol I want to make a decision but I really can't!And thanks for the compliments on the dresses. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Omg...#2 is ridiculous. Gorgeous...I love it!
  • Options
    avmn10avmn10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the second dress is so pretty!!! And if you are going for something different, the one shoulder will definitely do!!! And I didn't realize the first dress is linen...I don't think I could do that on my wedding day, but that's just me.  GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards