Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Egypt??

Anyone ever been?  Any tips?  I'm thinking a 5-7 day tour in Cairo.....thoughts?
Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
396 were invited image
250 will be there!image
146 are missing outimage
0 are still thinkingimage
RSVP Date: December 15th

Re: Egypt??

• Options
    Since this isn't a "typical" HM destination, if you don't get responses over here, I'd definitely try the travel board on the nest.  There are some very well-traveled, helpful ladies over there.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    bmd14bmd14 member
    First Comment
    My good friend went to Egypt on her honeymoon a few years back and hated it so much they came back early.  They have very different protocols on dressing ie no exposed knees, shoulders, etc.  My friend was wearing shorts and was yelled at by strangers.  No shorts, sleeveless shirts, in some locations hair must be covered.  They also both got food poisoning.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. 
  • Options
    I went on a Mediterranean cruise this past summer that stopped in Egypt. We went to the pyramids, which was fascinating...but I was glad we were only there for 1 day. I love to travel and experience new places but I was slightly scared in Egypt and would not have wanted to stay overnight there. We didn't eat the food there at all, we were on a private tour so we took food from the ship and skipped on our included lunch. We had heard horror stories of people getting sick from the food. I guess it just depends how adventurous you and your FI are! I would definitely recommend Egypt for a day if you want to see the pyramids and the sphinx!
  • Options
    I spent about two weeks in Egypt in fall of 2008 and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.  If this is for a honeymoon, I would highly recommend getting outside of Cairo for a portion of the trip.  A popular honeymoon option is to do the major sites in Cairo and then do a Nile cruise between Aswan and Luxor- these are also places with major tourist draws, specifically the Valley of the Kings in Luxor.

Of course, since Egypt is another country with a different culture, you shouldn't visit with the expectation that it will be like going to the mall at home in the US like a previous poster's friend apparently did.

I liked Egypt, and it was a place I had always wanted to visit.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    thanks everyone! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
  • Options
    If you need any help with Egypt, please let me know, I travel to Egypt every year and know things very well. Its beautiful and pending on what time of year there are different cities to explore than Cairo. Message me if you need some info.
  • Options
    I just sent you a PM!
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
  • Options
    Sweet, someone else is thinking of Egypt as well!!  We are thinking of Sharm El-Sheikh though since we've already spent time in Cairo before we were dating and my fiancee grew up there :-).  Sharm for a week with some excursions to Mt. Sinai and what not.  Have you considered going to Sharm?  It's a much more westernized/liberal area where you can wear whatever you want in the streets and there are even topless beaches for the Europeans ;-).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards