Florida-South Florida
Options

How many vendors do you think you should see before deciding?

So I am really indecisive and I feel like I had mostly gotten over it, but this wedding is bringing it out in me. I can't decide when to stop shopping and book a vendor and when I should keep looking. How many vendors in a given area (i.e. florist, photographers etc.) did you meet with before booking? Even when I like a vendor I can't help thinking, maybe if I see just one more they will be better and cheaper, but I just looked at my checklist and I need to start commiting to something.

Re: How many vendors do you think you should see before deciding?

• Options
    JillianLLJillianLL member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its easy to always question yourself and wonder what else is out there, especially with your dress. But if you find a vendor who you click with, whose work you love, and who has a good price point for you then book him. Dont wonder what else is out there bc the vendor you choose is right for you and you dont want to lose him by still searching. You'll know when you find the right ones, like you did with you venue.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    clovonneptclovonnept member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I almost feel like since I'm out of town that I had it easier in this department. I had 2 full days to meet with vendors when I came to town, so I planned every detail of those days and fit in as many vendors as possible. I only scheduled one photog bc I loved her work and knew it would be perfect (we met and it was great, so yay!). Florists on the other hand - I had 4 appointments and 1 email consultation with Gil since I knew exactly what I wanted. I felt like this was the hardest thing to plan and had the most variability in pricing and product offerings. And for DJ's I chose between 3 of them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha ha ha, I'm probably the queen of over meeting with vendors and so don't go by me but to answer the question:I met with 7 photogs before booking (got quotes from like 25 of them)I met with 9 florists before bookingI met 3 djs before bookingI met 3 officiants before bookingSo I think you just have to go with your gut. I'm a comparison shopper. I like to know I'm getting the best possible deal and I have a hard time committing and I'm very indecisive. Others see what they like, know it and book it. So you have to see what feels best for you.Def do your research but also don't over do it or you could drive yourself crazy like I did!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm indecisive too. When you meet a vendor you love you will book them.  I met with 6 photographers before I booked, but got a lot of quotes.  On contrast, I only met with one dj and booked him on the spot b/c I really liked him, but got quotes from 3.  I've been told by wedding planners that you should at least meet with 3 vendors for the one specific area and not more than 5.  They said that too many will make the choice harder.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    babytecbabytec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    personally i don't like meeting with a million people because it makes it harder to choose! BUT that mentality have gotten me burnt! I wish i had shopped around more for some of my vendors...so really look around and see who you click best with and to compare because you want to get the most bang for your buck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a similar question, and decided to just go with my gut for most of them. My big issue was my work schedule, and a lot of vendors can't meet after 5. I went with the first DJ I met (but we really, really clicked), and I went with the first DOC I met too. Some might say that's blasphemy, but, I like to go with what feels right.If my schedule was more flexible I would have DEFINITELY seen a few more vendors. You never know what's out there, right?
  • Options
    cinthia122cinthia122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second guess myself so I'm a little extreme as to how many vendors I've meet with.  I feel just like you feel.  - Reception place: 14 - Ceremony (church): 4 (This is BAD!!)- DJ: 2- Photog: 18- Florist: So far 5, and this is bitting me in the you know where.  Today I meet with Jose Gratorel and OMG!!  He does platinum weddings and I regret meeting with him.  I feel I have to up my budget and go beg people for money. LOL  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cinthia did you seriously MEET with 18 photogs. If so I'm in awe that's amazing. Picking the right fit is difficult but often times, I think you just KNOW when you find the right one!
  • Options
    jennej24jennej24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea for the venue I lost count, but I am sure it was close to you, but luckily, my ceremony and reception are going to be in the same location so that is one less decision for me. I have talked to 3 florists and am leaning toward one, but feel like I should keep looking. I have tried on dresses 7 times and am going again tonight, again I am leaning toward one but can't commit. I told my mom after tonight I won't make her go anywhere else with me. I am just starting to realize at this pace and with my work schedule, I am never going to finish in time.
  • Options
    jennej24jennej24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    See everyone keeps saying that you just know and that's what throws me off. Like the florist I now like is the first one I met with. Once I saw other ones and had stuff to compare to, I realized I liked them, but at the time I didn't know what to think. Same thing with the dresses the more I try them on the more I come back to some of the first ones, although one of them I didn't like at first but my mom loved, but now I like it so I don't know.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, 18 it was insane!!! Some were impromptu.  Like when I checked out the DJ they said hey check out the photographer.  When I bought my wedding dress at some of the stores it was hey check out the photographer LOL.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to check them out.  However, with florist its a different beast.  I don't want to look around anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok I lied. you don't always know. I was still questioning my choices for photo and video for a long time after booking.With some vendors I just knew but not with all but it does come down to just picking. If something makes sense.. .like if the price is right, they get your vision and it works for you, maybe you just book it. There will always be a better bargain out there if you look hard enough but at the same time you can't meet every vendor ever and can't try on every dress so at some point you have to give in but that does NOT mean settling. You should still feel good about the choice.Maybe meet ONE MORE FLORIST to compare and make sure before booking but that's it. With the dress... do you have any one that you are leaning toward? Have you gone to Miracle Mile yet?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jaime - Great advice! Jen - You will find the dress.  Once you find the "one" you just know it.  That was the only easy decision for me. 
  • Options
    jennej24jennej24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No I haven't gone to Miracle Mile, I have been to Alfred Angelo (twice), David's Bridal (twice), Rashawn Rose, Victoria's Bridal, and tonight I am going to Patricia's South. Yea I have narrowed it down to 2 I think. Email me if you want to see them jenniferl2010 at hotmail dot com
  • Options
    jennej24jennej24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I told FI I couldn't decide because I was worried about making the wrong choice, he was like there is no wrong choice. The ones that were the wrong choice didn't make the top 3. I thought I would be really worried after picking the vendor, but I haven't regretted that decision yet, so I guess I just need to decide, dress this week and florist next week....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you have the time, take a trip down to Miracle Mile and hit some of those shops... esp coral gables bridal, maybe Priscilla of Boston, J Del Olmo... etc... but I'm emailing you now for some pics!! I'm curious to see your choices..Cinthia, I can't believe how many you met with. That's carazyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! I get it though... it's easier to meet photogs than florists. Floral meets go on forever!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards