Florida-South Florida
Options

Flowers in march/April

In chatting with my florist, she wants me to look into flowers that are in season (more tropical flowers) for my centerpieces. I'm having a hard time because I know nothing about names of flowers and such. So far, we've talked about large orchids, dahlias, mango callas. That's about it. Any ideas from you ladies who are getting married in spring? I'm so sad - she also broke the news to me that a peony bouquet won't happen since peonies are not in season on my month (4/10/10). I wanted a big fluffy bouquet TIA for your help!

Re: Flowers in march/April

• Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Peony and ranunculus is a spring flower. They were selling them down here around that time. I remember because there was a post about someone finding them at a mart and then I found them at Whole Foods. This was April/May I believe. Also, as my florist said... you can get any flower you want it just might cost more because you have to get it from a different hemisphere haha. Try cottage roses too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    muddiliciousmuddilicious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well alot South Florida florists get there stock from Central and South America, sure there are some local growers, but it seems to be that majority come in at the Airport.  So by saying "seasonal" doesn't help.  Dahlias are typically a summer flower, but maybe she knows another supplier.  Some flowers that tend to be year round available in South Florida: Orchids, Callas, Mums, Roses, Gladiolas, Gingers.    If you crave a big fluffy bouquet, look into football mums, or garden roses.http://nancyliuchin.blogspot.com/2009/09/ask-nancy-instead-of.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, Muddi. Wow - excellent. I have so much to work with now. Let me run these by the florist before I get way too excited - and I'll see what she says.Awesome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Zobo - thanks.Yea, I'm about a month early. Peonies are in season in May. If she makes it for me, she says it would run about $350/bouquet  : /    Part of me wants to say, eff it, and pay that. It's SO beautiful. BUT I will absolutely not. Way out of budget and I will regret it. It dies 2 days later. Can't do it
  • Options
    muddiliciousmuddilicious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are very welcome.  I did learn that there are hothouse Dahlias grown year-round, so they might be an affordable option. And you never know, peonies might come in early next year.  Check in with her 2 weeks prior and ask - you might be the lucky one that gets them for a reasonable price.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh wow! Thanks again. I'll def. do that! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Peonies are in season in April - is a spring flower. I am getting married in February but my best friend had her wedding last April /2009 and my florist (she was the one doing her flowers) quote her $250.00 for a stunning hand tied bouquet of hot pink color cymbidium orchids, hot pink callas and beautiful pink peonies. She is so reasonable with prices and her flowers were absolutely amazing. Flowers by Vivian Colls.www.viviancolls.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards