Florida-South Florida
Options

I have this nightmare

I have this nightmare in my head. My Mom wants to contribute about 20% to our wedding. His Dad is also contributing about the same.So...FI and I are saving along. We're spending on only deposits and vendor costs.  Our biggest expense is our venue. So we were saving our parent's help for our venue expense.Now suppose one month before our wedding, we need to collect this money and the parents for some reason don't have it?? What are we to do?What can I do in order to prevent this?  lol Just freaking out a bit. Our parents have always been there for us but I'm just avoiding surprises b/c if this happens, we will definitely not have a wedding.

Re: I have this nightmare

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I dont mean to freak you out..im just being 100% honest...this just happened to me. i didnt post about it bc ..well..i just didnt want to...but my wedding was being split 3 ways. his parents, my mom and my dad. well, somebody backed out. it has NOT been fun. There is nothing i could have done to prevent it -it wasnt my dads fault at all, he just, well...doesnt have the money now. Thank GOD i have the most amazing mommy and future parents in the world, they took over his half..but i was in panic mode for a good month. Ask alissa and jaime, they heard me cry mutiple times lol. this wont happen though, just think positive!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    omg Amy - i'm sorry that happened to you :( Millenia - that would be my worst nightmare too!  I would try to put a little extra away each paycheck from now to the wedding if you can.  You could also see if they can give you a certain amount per month and then have them pay the rest of the 20% at the end. And though it may not be ideal, you can always put some of the debt on a credit card, but I would make sure it is a low APR card or one that you have either none or very little debt on.  Think positive! It will probably not happen and you will have nothing to worry about :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG! I have the same fear! My parents are giving 15%, and FI mom is giving 15%... and we're reallyyy counting on it. Without it, the wedding is impossible. I really hope I can have an emergency fund back - up in case somebody isn't able to contribute, but I think about it allllll the time! BTW Amy, I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Given Amy's experience, this is a reality that COULD happen. I've seen it elsewhere too (MUA actually) where the parent loses their job and can no longer afford to help out the way they could.There is nothing you can do to prevent this other than asking again for their commitment and making sure they are truly financially able and willing to help you. If they say yes, chances are they will pull through.But just in case not, watch your budget closely and save save save.Hugs!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your input, guys. I know... life is what it is... and if someone can't, I will be completely screwed. We're already saving every last penny we have so if someone doesn't have it, GULP, not sure what to do. We don't have a penny more to save each month. We're budgeting exactly so that our two parents cover the rest. FI's Dad is pretty loaded so if he leaves us high and dry, that will be so messed up.Like I said on my Knottie of the day thing, both sides of the family begged up to please move this up one year so that it wouldn't be 2 years from the engagement (and due to this, they def. wanted to help).  BUT, I guess you kind of just have to stay faithful and that's it.
  • Options
    babytecbabytec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    omg- sorry to hear that this happened to you Amy! but i am glad it all worked out ;) by the way i love ur siggy!!! millenia- there really is nothing you can do...just hope for the best.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definately try getting money from them on a monthly basis if you can't save anymore. It may be easier for them too instead of a lump sum at the end.  I hope this works out for you. It has to be stressful to think about this and you probably have enough stress already. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry this is happening to you, but things have a way of working out in the end. Just hold on tight, and you'll make it fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards