Florida-South Florida
Options

boat show & wedding worries...

Hi girls,
so as some know my wedding is sunday feb 20th @ eden roc...
we have been looking for venue for mehndi party on the 19th and as some suggested ive been calling nearby hotels for both venue and another hotel block.

One hotel just told me they host NO events that weekend bc of the boat show...i ask why...bc there is no parking available, traffic is terrible and the show apparently runs right on the intercoastal right in front of these hotels.

I also asked abt hotel blocks, they said the rates are above 500/night and blocks can be done around 400!?!?  Ive currently got rooms @ eden roc for much cheaper so thats a bit of a relief, but now im worried if we run out if eden roc will increase prices.
The one hotel was very surprised eden roc is even allowing us to have a wedding there that weekend and she told me to go ask eden roc abt parking...WTF...

So my worries....
-guests who are driving to sobe wont make it on time, i know i can stress abt the traffic but u know ppl dont listen.
-hotel block running out and ppl fending for themselves and again having to cab to hotel n risk being late
-where am i having the damn mehndi party!!! even if we choose a venu off the beach and shuttle ppl there, the traffic may be so bad that everything goes chaotic.

im scared!!!
Anyone here even been to this boat show?? Is it really as crazy as they are making it out to be? Am i freaking out for nothing or do i have legitimate reasons???

Re: boat show & wedding worries...

• Options
    edited December 2011

im on the same boat. my wedding falls on the night of the first miami heat game of this season Oct 29th..and with lebron on board..downtown is going to be overflowing!!! and our venue is within walking distance of the arena.
    your just going to have really bad traffic ..luckily you have time to sort things out..find an alternate hotel for room blocking and shuttles are key if people are stuck in traffic with someone else driving its not as bad as being the actual driver stuck in traffic honking at everyone lol

• Options
    Dee729Dee729 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The hotels are correct....I went 2 years ago..and it was INSANE....

but like PP said..you have time to work it all out! 
  • Options
    nilofurjnilofurj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    omg =(

im so bummed! What exactly happens in the boat show? Will there be a lot of noise? Our ceremony/cocktail reception is outdoors!

I can imagine with the heat game, super crazy...at least its 1 night....this show apparently lasts the entire weekend!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!!!

I am going through the SAME thing!!!! I am having my wedding the weekend of the sony errickson cup. ITs been a nightmare!!! We are having our wedding at the EPIC, and lets just say that haven't been the nicest to us. Acutally, I hope people avoid this hotel at all costs! We can't even get a room block for both nights at the hotel even though we are holding two events (the rehearsal dinner and reception) both with 100+ guests.   I feel your pain.

Everything was booked before we even heard about the sony cup, and whats worse ULTRA music festival might be that weekend and the winter music fest IS that weekend... we are now stuck, and i've pretty much called off the wedding TWICE.  I'd say start going hotel to hotel and try to find something near by or host ur mendi at the eden roc, thats what i'm doing so that people don't have to go place to place. I would also look into getting a bus in order to transport your guests. If not, Make detailed of routes that will be less busy for your guests. Give out welcome packets with detailed information about the traffic during the weekend and ask them to give an hour or so due to traffic.  Eden Roc, has a large garage, you need to fight with them NOW about making sure that ALL of your guest will be able to park at the hotel!  I will be doing that this weekend when i'm home. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP - call Eden Roc ASAP about valet parking for your guests - they should be able to guarantee a certain amount of parking wouldnt you think?  Have you looked into any of the club spaces on the beach for the night before?  Maybe a hotel wont be able to accomodate you but maybe one of the near by bars or lounges will allow you to rent it - I went to a rehearsal dinner/party once at a club and it was catered and awesome!  It already came with lounge seating and dance floor!
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    nilofurjnilofurj member
    edited December 2011
    adrielegorburu- ya i would love to consider a club, any ideas or suggestions?

xVWx - that sounds terrible! So you dont have any room blocks @ Epic?? We were really considering that hotel before the eden roc. Did you try the Intercontinetnal, its close by and they have tons of rooms, maybe they can accomodate you. In fact i may call them about the mehndi...

Eden roc have offered a valet parking for guests, although they never specified the number. Im a little worried about it since they have already cheated us out of a cake! Ya another long story...they took it out of the contract w/o us noticing...ya dont get me started.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try the intercontinental Miami. Plenty of parking nice venue and an in house florist
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have another block at the Hyatt next door. I'm just really upset with them. Although i'm having an event there.. i seem to not be good enough for them to give me 10 rooms at a reasonable rate for two nights. They are ridiculous! NEVER AGAIN. its gotten so bad that i'm dreading walking into the hotel. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ladies...particularly Vero...I KNOW this is going to sound like a silly question, but isn't there a way to have that contract voided and just look for another hotel that will welcome and accommodate your needs as a CUSTOMER who is paying big bucks to have their wedding hosted there???  I mean, if it's gotten to the point that you're dreading going into the hotel where you plan on celebrating your marriage, are you sure you still want to be married there?  

And this is a completely legitimate question, I'm not trying to be rude or sarcastic or snarky...I know nothing about contracts with hotels or how far in advance you have to book one you want for your wedding. (Remember I'm having a reception lunch at a restaurant, not doing the whole big shebang at a hotel or anything.)  I'd work furiously to get my deposit back.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my bestfriend lives on 51 and collins and it all depends but it has taken me an hour to get from 51 and 47 when the boat show has been there... okay maybe im exaggerating a little but lets say it took about 30 minutes... there will definitly be no parking even in hotels etc where you are staying...her parking which is for owners and visitors gets full ive had to go down to a publix on 71 st and have her go down there and pick me up...its pretty crazy...i think the eden roc really should have mentioned it to you when you booked..however if ur wedding is late...the show really starts to dye down in the later evening...and  its closed at night ...all it is is a bunch of boats are parked at the marina all along the street and people will fill in walking around looking at them and stuff...

in the plus the guest will have a something to do on the days before or after the wedding if they are staying on the beach... 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Janet,

There isn't. we looked into it and we would lose the 2 deposits that we have already put down, which is already $10,000.  We just don't have the money to go find somewhere else... so we're biting the bullet. I would love it if they said here, we'll give u back your money.. go somewhere else.. but with a two night event, they are keeping us to it.  :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww honey.  In that case I'm really sorry.  Try to be as positive as possible and don't let this get you down...remember, this is YOUR wedding and it's a very special day. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am hoping that if i just stay positive, karma will kick there ass. I've been praying.. and hoping that God will help me through this, because at this point there is no turning back. I really just hope another bride doesn't have to go through this. I felt like they were great prior to signing, once they got my money is was like oh well ur booked. I just don't get why they can't give me 10 rooms for two nights? It just doesn't make sense. I'm have TWO events. I thought the Kimpton was a different type of establishment. I'm so disappointed. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't read through everyone's comments, but I would really address your concerns with the Eden Roc.  We go to the Boat Show every year and it's a mad house.  It's a HUGE money maker for Miami Beach, and most places will be less likely to accomodate you. I hate to be Debbie DOwner, but if you are having a large wedding, it is going to be an issue.  I don't think it would be much of an issue if your wedding was in Coral Gables or even Downtown, but the Eden Roc is in the middle of the boat show location.  most hotels don't book events that weekend (also the Grove Arts Festival) because it's a problem.
  • Options
    nilofurjnilofurj member
    edited December 2011
    sford- ya i had no idea until this week that a "boat show" even existed!!!
    One venue even said they were surprised eden roc was "allowing" us to have our wedding there. I honestly dont know if they knew when we signed the contract (in april) that it was the same weekend or if they just figured they'd collect our deposit and let us deal with it later....

I called today and left a message. Im very curious to hear what they have to say.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Boat Show and the Coconut Grove Arts Festival are both President's Day weekend.  This year President's Day falls on the 21st (last year it was the 15th).  They may not have realized. 

We got engaged on Valentine's Day in 2009, which was during the boat show.  Some of out best friends had booked a romantic weekend at the Eden Roc not realizing it was the boat show.  The traffic to get from Delano (where FI proposed) to the Eden Roc was brutal and they mentioned to us that the hotel was a madhouse. 

I tell you this not to scare you, but I don't want to sugarcoat anything either. I'm the type of person who tells it like it is. I would just be very strong with them that they give you enough rooms for your guests at the agreed rate. I doubt your guests will be able to find anything cheaper in the area. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards