Florida-South Florida
Options

Publisher vs PowerPoint

I currently have PowerPoint on my computer, but do not have Publisher. We are not planning on making our own invitations, but do expect to design a monogram, and make programs, menus, table numbers, and some other stationary. I noticed that a lot of people use Publisher to make their stationary and monograms, and was wondering if it was worth purchasing or if I could do similar stuff with PowerPoint. 

What do you think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Wedding Website
image 143 Invited
image 110 Are ready to party!
image 31 Are party poopers!
image 0 Can't find the mailbox!

Re: Publisher vs PowerPoint

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never used Publisher (I use Photoshop and InDesign), but you can probably do something with PowerPoint. Just change the page layout to the size you want and you have some basic shapes/text you can put on a page. But for sure Publisher is more advanced. However, you have to think of how long it'll take you to learn how to use it. And will you ever use it again? I wouldn't recommend anyone buy InDesign just for a wedding because it's $700 (unless you're a student and in that case it's super discounted). The only reason I'm designing some of my own things is because I know Photoshop/InDesign, I already had the programs and I didn't want to pay someone a ridiculous amount of money to do it for me.

Good luck!
    Ashley
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly, Ashley! My company has a training program that will teach me Publisher for free, BUT I will probably never use it after the wedding.  I was thinking about buying the program, but maybe I'll just play around with PowerPoint first :)

Thanks,
    Sara
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have both, and used Publisher to design every piece of stationary for the wedding. I did everything myself, and I found Publisher sooo easy to use. I had never used it before this, and I was able to make my STD's on the first try.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards