Florida-South Florida
Options

NWR: Laptop Help

Hey ladies....so this weekend my laptop crashed. It was a dell and I had it for a year and a half..now I need to look to buy a new one...anyone have any suggestons? I dont want to go over 1000 since we are using our wedding fund to get me one....
Also, since this happened, I may be asked questions I already got answers too but I lost everything...Ive spent all day trying to re do our wedding guest list..GRRR! So anyway, what typr of laptop should I be looking at so Im not in this situation again a year from now?

Re: NWR: Laptop Help

• Options
    avmn10avmn10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I don't have any recommendations, but I just wanted to say sorry, that must be so frustrating!!!!!!!! Not to mention having to take from your wedding fund :(

• Options
    bluebookbluebook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry you're in this situation!

First, so you're not into this situation next time around ... backup backup backup! No matter what kind of laptop you get there is a chance that it will happen again. Take it me, from a computer science major/engineer who had a laptop catch on fire (oh and it was an MacBook).

Second, as for recommendations for a specific laptop, it really depends on what you will use your laptop for. There is everything from the game-intensive heavy laptops with huge screen to the tiny ones you can get at Best Buy (which has a great warranty plan, I also highly recommend that no matter what, Dell also has a great warranty plan that you have to pay for extra but it is SO worth it because they'll send a guy to your house).

If you want the best bang for your buck I would get a refurbished small dell laptop. Dell has a great service plan and it costs less if you buy refurbished but you get the same service. You can buy it on dell.com (at the "outlet") and definitely look for coupons online (google "Dell coupons") because you will find a TON of them. Also Dell lets you order as a "business" even if you're your only employer and basically are considering starting a business for yourself (under "business name" you put your full name). Sometimes their business website has better deals too.

My previous laptop was a Dell and I still use it. It's 5 years old. I next bought a Thinkpad because I got a crazy deal and those are usually way more expensive.

Actually I just got this Dell coupon in the mail for a one-day laptop deal, $549 new. It looks quite good to me. I would still definitely add the plan on so it would be I think about $200-300 more.

http://smallbusiness.dell.com/r/c/r?2.1.2d.2UW.1dfQlT.EMqEYK..N.KUYe.2oAu.az01MDU2NyZtcDI4OTY0PTc3MjIzNDY0Jm1vPTE%5fCKFaICR0

If I only used a laptop for email/Hulu/word processing I would get a little laptop (the like 8" ones they sell now) and get a plan.Then I'd back up with some online service every day (or get an external hard drive and back up)

HTH!
  • Options
    bluebookbluebook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, just realized that was an old email! Here is the current deal. $499 laptop with LOTS of stuff. Not on the small stuff so if you want to carry it everywhere I would still get one of the little ones:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bncwdr2&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04
  • Options
    Kitty315Kitty315 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I were to buy one ready to go then HP, Sony and Toshiba are my top picks. Best Buy has some real good ones for way under $1k. Must have specs I would recommend are at least 2GB of RAM aka memory (most now come with 4GB standard) and a minimum 320GB of hard drive space. I have never had a problem with either Intel or AMD processors so I can't vouch for one more than the other.

The rest is your preference: screen size, weight, color, etc.

My vote goes to this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+Duo+Processor+-+Black/9556287.p?id=1218123846583&skuId=9556287

My boss got this one last month and let me play with it for a bit. I LOVE it.. its so smooth and handles her 100 windows and apps perfectly. It also has a spot to read your USB sticks or your camera's memory card.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a MAC convert.  I have always used PC's, but after many years of problems I couldn't take it anymore.  It really does depend on what you are going to do with it.  I think you can get a refurbished Macbook for less than a $1k.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i <3 my mac. couldn't have anything else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No good recs all my computers are dell but omg that sucks Karen.

Just ANOTHER reminder to me to back up my shyz... but I still never do. If I were to lose the info on my home Desk Top I'd die a thousand deaths. Every photo from 2000 onward... omg...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I am going to go and look some more. The only thing I really use it for is wedding stuff so nothing that needs anything crazy. Bluebook- I am just done with Dell cause I have had 3 of them all crap out in the last years. I dont even know how to back up stuff but I guess I will learn now!
  • Options
    bluebookbluebook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG pictures are so important to me!! I would at least back them up by uploading them to Flickr! Pay the $25 a year and get unlimited full resolution uploads.

Karen - if you'e done with Dell (understandable) I would get an HP from Best Buy and get the plan. They have these mini-laptops that are super cute and light and do most of what you'll want to do wedding related. Some are as little as $300!
  • Options
    bluebookbluebook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    btw I keep talking about their plan cuz my parents have had computers crap out on them but after 3 times that something happens even if minor Best Buy will refund your money. I think with their last computer my parents had a hard drive failure, a wired card failure, and a sound failure and they were all repaired and then I forgot what happened again and they got their money back.

computers will have issues/fail. better to plan for it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jamie-I lost a WHOLE bunch of pictures. I usually upload them to Kodak gallery but I have been so busy thru the holidays I havent done it the last few months. I am going to take it my sister and her computer guy at her job is going to try and take apart the hard drive and try and find my pictures..
    For all you ladies that want to cut your guest list, hve it lost..lol Ive cut 15 people off because I dont remember who was on it!
    I am going to go to Best Buy tomorow and see what I can find!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh no!!!! there is an online back up program I forget the name but everytime you are online it backs up your data so god forbid it crashes, you still have your data uploaded to the web.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    atizonatizon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sorry about your computer :( I lost once a couple of mths worth of pic's after that I save everything. :( I have a gateway and and have had no problems :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards