Florida-South Florida
Options

DIY calligraphy?

Has anyone tried?  Would love to hear about your experience.

Re: DIY calligraphy?

• Options
    FutureMrsFezzFutureMrsFezz member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used the computer to print out my envelopes in extremely light grey font.  Then I traced over it with a calligraphy pen.  Worked perfectly, was cheaper and no one knew the difference.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    plswitzeplswitze member
    edited December 2011
    WOW- great idea FutureMrsFezz!  I currently have a calligraphy book and I've been trying to teach myself-- it's not going well LOL. My wedding planner also gave me an idea to use clear address labels, or print directly on envelope.

I understand the calligraphy battle... I know it's proper etiquette, but everyone throws away the envelope anyway & i just dont want to spend the money!

Goodluck, let me know if you figure out a creative and successful option!!
    *My Planning Bio* *UPDATED 1-18-2012*
    South FL March siggy: Fave Registry Item
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    edited December 2011
    FutureMrsFezz, I just read an article about what you did.  That supposedly works great.  I know you can adjust settings when you print on an envelope, but will all kinds of envelopes work?  My envelope is not like most.  The material is very thick as well.
  • Options
    FutureMrsFezzFutureMrsFezz member
    edited December 2011
    I'm not positive, but most printers have some different settings that you probably need to mess around with if you're going to go that route. I don't know if all evenlopes will fit.  I had to play with it a couple times to get it right. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    irwin3138irwin3138 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i bought a gel pen from Michaels and wrote in a nice cursive on the envelopes and added some extra curly Q's on many of the letters. Our envelopes were black and I used a white pen. I was really happy with how they came out and those pens were fantastic (only $1.49)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I feel your pain! I have been trying to practice and teach myself as well.  It takes a lot of time and patience! The actual pen and ink set helps so much to make it more elegant and much better than just the calligraphy pen from the store.

I am extrememly type A, so I never think mine is good enough though everyone in the immediate family loves how the mock up's are turning out. Apparently it is possible to make it look nice, but you are the one that will notice the little pauses, dotted i's etc and no one else will! Good luck and be kind to yourself!

I am really liking the idea of FutureMrsFezz with the printing out and copying over! Great idea!! I might have to steal this for the menus since they will be next to each other and if they are all the same the home-made calligraphy errors will no stick out so much :) Thanks!
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just printed in a nice cursive font on clear mailing labels and went that route. Nobody has cared, and I'm sure that by now, most of the envelopes are in the trash anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been trying to figure out the same issue. I love the ideas some of the girls have shared on this post. I was debating on taking a class to teach myself but the money spent might as well be used towards hiring someone. I think I'll try printing lightly on the envelopes and trace over with the calligraphy pen.

*FutureMrsFezz* Do you mind posting a pic of your work??

Thanks!
    *February Siggy*
    <3 Favorite Picture of me and my man <3 <br>Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    SoontobeTwistSoontobeTwist member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I spent a few hours last night doing out invitations.  We just bought really nice brush pens from AC Moore and wrote in a nice cursive.  The brush pen shows up really nicely.  They only cost $2.99 and we had a lot of fun doing them :) Hope that helps
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards