Florida-South Florida
Options

Engagement Party Nerves

Having my engagement party on Saturday and kind of freaking out... It'll be the first time my mom's side of the family will see my father since their incredibly nasty divorce about 7 years ago. I am strategically making a seating chart to avoid conversations between the two groups, but I'm still nervous. It's only a 27 person party, and half of it are family members. I think I'll be less worried at the wedding because there's so many more people and so much more space!

Anyone else in similar situations? How'd it go?

Also, what should happen at an engagement party? Just talking and such, right? I don't need to plan any activities, do I? I'm also worried about it being boring.... Ahhhh!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Wedding Website
image 143 Invited
image 110 Are ready to party!
image 31 Are party poopers!
image 0 Can't find the mailbox!

Re: Engagement Party Nerves

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah yes, I have a similar situation. but I just avoided it. My mom threw the engagement party and asked me if we had to invite my father. We don't really have a problem with him so much as my stepmother. So I told her No, and we went out to brunch with them the next day. I would not worry about it too much because they are adults and can handle the situation for you. The seating chart is a good idea. I didnt have any activities. Everyone talked and ate, it was fine. Good luck. 
  • Options
    Krysta6Krysta6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents had a nasty divorce and I had them for the first time all in one room for my college graduation. Everyone just kinda kept to their sides of the family and I had no problems. But my kind of family isn't the kind to have outward problems in public. Hopefully you will be fine and you can always talk to your parents about your concerns or mention that you can't believe everyone hasn't been in the same room in all those years and see where the conversation goes
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just recently had my engagement party and worried about every detail. Sometimes you their are flaws as is with everything. Don't stress, it will only make you more stressed about the wedding. Always remember, you can't make everyone happy.
    We didn't do anything special for ours, just dinner, drinks and we had an engagement cake. Pics in my bio
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just have lots of fun!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sara:

Try not to stress about it in advance.  We had about 40 people, mostly family members, at our engagement party in PA a month ago.  My parents divorced 8 years ago, and his parents are also divorced.  Many of them haven't seen each other since then.  I was surprised to see people on both sides of the family having normal friendly conversations with one another.  Particularly my aunt (father's side) and my mother, who never got along but voluntarily sat at the same table and enjoyed dinner together.  They put their differences aside just for us.  I hope yours does the same thing.  Have fun at the party.  And hopefully you won't have an ambulance at yours, like at mine... long story.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the advice/thoughts!

Angel:
    I am hoping that my family will behave similarly to yours and they have all already said that they will all be civil. I'm just a little paranoid :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards