Florida-South Florida
Options

numero dos

continuation of caterer situation....

I spoke with them on sunday.  He was AS NICE AS CAN BE!!!! told me all he was concerned about was my happines on the wedding day.....that he thinks we should change the consept from buffet to sit down since it will be a much smaller wedding.  He'll send me over a new menu within the hour, 5 mins later i have a new menu....I was totally blown away then..I saw it...the price pp....it increased by a woping...wait for it....120 pp!!!!!!!!!! to make it 170 holy die!! my heart dropped to the floor!! not including the linens and chairs that is seperate...

So my question for you ladies is....

5 hrs unlimited liquor...is that too much? I feel like it is,,,

Third course being dessert on top of the wedding...is it a necessity...

Im trying to find places I can negotiate to make the price a litttle cheaper

any suggestions??

TIA!

Re: numero dos

• Options
    edited December 2011
    oh wow. i would definitely take a dessert course off, but i'm super into wedding cake being the only dessert at a wedding. so that's just me. i would ask him how flexible everything is .... he's probably being so nice because he knows he's essentially still going to get the same amount of money out of you with less people... and i would definitely not have 5 hours of open bar lol. definiiiiitely not that much. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wait, did the price go up if it's a sitdown dinner for less people? WHAT?

Personally, I'm not a drinker, but FI's family is Irish-German and my family's as Christian as can be but the Italian blood calls for the wine lol. Basically it depends on your crowd. I know people who have said they'd never go to a wedding if there's no alcohol (yeah, that was ... yeah) and on the other hand, there are the people that don't mind if there is or there isn't and just want to have a good time.

I say try to work with your current caterer, he seems to care, and you have lots of time :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

That is really a big jump. Whoa! Def negotiate some of that stuff down or eliminate the dessert course, you can DIY your own desset bar with cupcakes and candy!

• Options
    sambrefe67sambrefe67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks chicas...and I was never planning on having extra candy or dessert I was planning on only having the cake.....now im like crap....I couldnt believe it...I wrote him and have yet to hear back.  Well see Im sure there something I can take off.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP.  Def try and negotiate. That is crazy! You can take the dessert part out and DIY. GL!
  • Options
    Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    definitely negotiate thats a huge difference from buffet to sit down. I would take the dessert off. IMO. As for the open bar I dont think its too much, that is how long ours is, but you should definitely feel your crowd and know whether they like open bars and will get use out of it or not, then make that decision. GL
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    avee10avee10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

welll I know you said this guy is being very nice and accomodating, but it sounds like he is just out to make a buck and basically make the same amount of money on half the amount of guests.  How much do you like him?  Maybe you should consider other caterers, unless you already signed a contract.  In that case I would speak to him and tell him what you are willing to pay per person.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hi Stacey-

DEFINITELY take out dessert, even though that will only be about $5 pp (that's the average from what I came across when I was negotiating). Also ask if you can limit the options on the menu. I told the catering director the absolute max I could pay pp, even if it meant taking out different appetizer selections & hors d'ouvres selections. The price came down about $25 pp.

Good luck, girlie. If this doesn't work out, I suggest looking elsewhere.

• Options
    rosel80rosel80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is quite a jump!  I agree with him that sit down dinner would be nice with a smaller wedding (that's what we are doing).  We are paying close to that with a 5 hour open bar and cake only dessert.  But as a private caterer it should be less than that, I would think (with linens included).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    SOmething we did to cut the pp down was to close the open bar during the dinner hour because wine will be served with dinner.  That was a drastic price difference.  Maybe ask for that.
  • Options
    sambrefe67sambrefe67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks girls I really appreciate the input
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree.  It seems like a pretty big jump. If your contract doesn't have a minimum agreement, then you can probably negotiate it down.

We had to cut some stuff from our menu too.  We are only doing a 4 hour open bar of beer and wine only.  That helped.  I think you could cut the appetizer or dessert too.  

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It went from $50pp to $170pp??? That does not make sense for such a drastic jump. Why not still have buffet if you are ok with that? That way you can still do open bar and dessert?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's a huge increase! I would def. take out the dessert portion, since you will have a wedding cake. Try to take out some appetizers as well if you can. Try to take out anything that you think you yourself wouldn't be able to eat at a sit down dinner. A lot of times they go overboard with the food. I'm sure you can bring that price down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards