Florida-South Florida
Options

Officiant ordained online, is this good with the state?

My best friend planned on becoming a notary so he could marry us. Unfortunately we recently found out due to citizenship issues (he's from Trinidad) he can't become a notary. The only option left for him to marry us was to become ordained online so he did, through spiritualhumanism.org. (It kills be throwing the word "church" around my wedding since I'm Jewish and we wanted a secular wedding. But if this is what it takes I'll deal with it.) I've called the Clerk's office to check if that'd be okay, since the law seems a bit vague but I can't get a straight answer from them. I don't want him to marry us only to find out it wasn't okay with the state. Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: Officiant ordained online, is this good with the state?

• Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No sorry, I don't. Worse comes to worse just have your friend preform the ceremony then go to the courthouse later and be officially married. If I were you I would just call the clerk's office again and see if there is someone there to answer your question. Or another option would be to have your friend do all the aspects of the ceremony, but then just hire an officiant to just officially marry you. Either during or directly after the ceremony. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mbab - I just got married Aug 27, with a friend ordained online. It is FINE! Florida does absolutely nothing to make sure that wedding officiants are legit. I was a bit nervous about this, but called my local county clerk who told me that they do nothing to check credentials. (I didn't specify to her that the reason that I was asking was because he was ordained online, I just told her that he was from out-of-state and therefore was not registered with the State of Florida). I am now officially married and have a copy of my marriage license and everything. So, my advice is to go forward with your friend.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]So, my advice is to go forward with your friend.
    Posted by dewreb[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you! I'm probably going to have him marry us no matter what. But after researching that marriages done by someone ordained online could be questioned if something else came up (divorce, etc.) I may have a family friend that's a notary do it after the fact as well. Still not sure though...</div>
  • Options
    jmsw143jmsw143 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I called the courthouse in Broward because we were worried about my Sister marrying us. She is a notary but generally family isn't supposed to notarize for each other.  Turns out it is perfectly okay and it seems our state is one of the most lenient. I would call anyway just to be safe, the person I spoke to was really friendly and helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards