Florida-South Florida
Options

Reaching my budget quickly!

Anyone else have that problem? I feel like although i made a list with "quotes" im not really sticking to it and keep adding things to the wedding...and i dont want to cut back on anything...ugh.
On a good note, work got canceled due to miami beach flood possibilities so im getting ready to go to Eda's and look at some cakes :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reaching my budget quickly!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Umm yea... I went over budget with just the venue... so I know!
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also went over my original budget very quickly - But not by as much as I could have!  Is there anything you can DIY?
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely feel that way too.  I think that's why we've had so much trouble picking a venue because I"m afraid there won't be enough money for anything else!  I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with this!! :)  Somehow we will all make it work out though.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually I'm under budget so far! I can't believe it myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a $5000 budget. It's looking like it's going to be closer to $7,000. Oy.  
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also have a $5k budget and doing everything possible to stay within that budget.
  • Options
    sambrefe67sambrefe67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    im 5 over and havent purchased much yet! (this is with writing stuff down and making guestimates)

TROUBLE TROUBLE TROUBLE
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can do it, Stephanie. =)  I'm going to post a detailed list of what I spent my  money on after my wedding so that you can get an idea.  I'm going over budget because of certain things (like a very expensive cake) that I just didn't want to give up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    eeek i'm 8 over so far :( i hate how much things cost!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm about 2 over and I have done just about everything possible to save money 'til then so the change won't really affect us. I reduced my retirement contribution (just for 6 months) and some other extra things that I was able to scale back on...it's interesting how creative you can be to save some extra money. lol Who needs the optional vision insurance for a year? Pssh, not this girl! ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh Natalie, I know exactly what you mean.  I get a mani/pedi every week and I blow dry my hair at the same salon every week.  That's $60 a week that I spend on maintaining my hair and stuff.  Now I'm doing it every other week to save $120 a month.  And I think I may just continue that trend after I get married...a little extra cash. =)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Janet, I'm so determined to stay in budget... or at least not go over by more than $2k.

I don't really want a wedding, I'm doing it for the families. FI insists it's important we do something so they can be with us, so I'm also doing a ceremony followed by dinner, much like yourself, just to satisfy them.

I feel I could be using this money for a million other things I'd rather do. Geez, I sound like such an awful bride. Lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know what you're saying; I didn't want the whole wedding thing either, but you know what? Now that I'm doing it and that I'm only 2 1/2 months away, I'm really excited that I decided to go through with it. The fact I can actually walk down an aisle and my mom and grandma and children can see me married in this way is really satisfying to me and makes me happy.  Plus, the pictures are a memory our kids and grandkids can look back on for years to come. =)  I think you'll get more excited when the date gets a little closer.  The good thing is that you've got over a year to plan, so you can afford the time to look for amazing deals and recommendations from knotties on here.  I got some great deals, don't get me wrong, but with only 5 months to plan, I'm sure there are things that I'm spending a lot of money on that I wouldn't have if I would have had the luxury of a few more months of investigating and researching.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Janet, that's a great save! It does sound nice to think you can do that after the wedding and have some fun with it. :) It's sooo tempting to want to keep adding to the original list.

**Also, here is a great resource for us brides to keep tabs on our budget and other really helpful things for our wedding if you have a google account:
    http://www.google.com/google-d-s/wedding/

I created my own excel spreadsheet at home and I update it a few times a week, really helpful!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Janet, you're probably right.

Last Dec. my cousin got married and did the same, a midday ceremony followed by an amazing lunch. I think that's one of the most fun "weddings" I've been to. It was so nice to just be with the closest family (she had 20 guests at most), and just eat great food and drink wine. No dancing and all the other traditional wedding things. It was so much fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, I dont feel so bad anymore... I think my biggest guilt is that FI doesnt know I went over by $2,500 on just the dress budget. At first i thought "Oh i'll just sell the dress after" but um nooo... the second i bought it i cant imagine parting with it. I went to see Eda today the cake I want is $200 over budget and my photographer is way over budget too so somethings gotta give, i have to cut back! Im going to call around and see if anyone just rents the acrylic cake boxes so i can save some money and have the cake made by someone else. 
    btw Natalie97 you made me crack up with the vision plan story! lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Same story here... I'm over budget about $6K. Even though I'm coming in below what I had guesstimated for some things. And I'm doing lots of things DIY.

I too changed my 401K contributions, my cell phone plan, my vision and dental ins and (shhhh - don't tell anyone) but I'm keeping the money I got back from my escrow overage, that I was suppossed to send to the principal!!!  Oh.. and I'm also keeping the $150 a month that I have left over from a rental property, that I normally put towards that loan. SHHHH!! No one will know. lol  I'll put it back after the wedding!

I wanted a small, intimate, laid back wedding with 50 guests... but with a close family of over 300 on my side alone, it wasn't going to work. So our "intimate" wedding is now 120!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lol Rosmery!! I did the same with the dental, I paid additional for a higher plan last year and last month I said, I don't need it...I'll stick with the one my organization pays for. It's just for a year ;)

That's smart, Alexandra...compare prices and see if you can rent the box. There are a lot of newer cake businesses that might give you a better deal too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think every bride is going through this. We dont realize how expensive everything is. I know I am over budget for $2,000 and my fiance just added 8 more people to invite. So we are going over even more. I am trying so hard and have nightmares about going over but I talked to my fiance and he is ok with it so since then I have calmed down and working with a new budget.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards