Florida-South Florida
Options

And then there was....CAKE!!!

Re: And then there was....CAKE!!!

• Options
    herculeschloeherculeschloe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote fondant...it totally doesn't taste as good but its all about the look!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_then-there-wascake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:8dd4f7ff-b21c-4e5b-b00c-82dc410cad54Post:03359d9d-51d5-47d6-a4ff-fd59990db791">Re: And then there was....CAKE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I vote fondant...it totally doesn't taste as good but its all about the look!
    Posted by herculeschloe[/QUOTE]

I know!!! But it's the COST to upgrade that kinda kills me!!!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Krysta6Krysta6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't decided yet so I can't vote.... I love cake so I don't know if I could pick a bad tasting cake bc it was pretty
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_then-there-wascake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:8dd4f7ff-b21c-4e5b-b00c-82dc410cad54Post:aa180c89-9c53-498e-bd97-c48fce57c52e">Re: And then there was....CAKE!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't decided yet so I can't vote.... I love cake so I don't know if I could pick a bad tasting cake bc it was pretty
    Posted by Krysta6[/QUOTE]

Darling....I LOVE LOVE LOVE cake too...I don't have this voluptuous figure for eating salads...lol!! It's not that the cake tastes bad, but the fondant is just like a gum paste so it's not like eating into a moist vanilla Publix cake with the most delicious frosting in the world melting into your taste buds...lol!!!

The fondant is just thicker and not as yummy and sweet and you can't really squish it around in your mouth like buttercream frosting...lol!!! *sigh* It's sooo hard...I love to eat cake, but I want my wedding cake to look nice, fabulous and flossy like my bridal hangers...lmao!!! ;c)

xxox
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think fondant is too bad but I'm not paying extra to eat something I'm not crazy about. A good baker should be able to make a clean cake similar looking to a fondant cake using buttercream. I come from a family of talented decorators and all have said the same thing! That being said, some fondant cakes just look stunning!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    anaroo87anaroo87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Buttercream!!!!
    This was my cake in buttercream:
    (not a great pic, from a phone camera)

Definitely can't have as much fancy details with buttercream but I'll sacrifice on the design to get the flavor.
    Planning Bio

April Siggy Challenge: The Ring

Anna♥Joey
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

image 160 Got Invited (..what happened to a small wedding?!)
    image 99 Are ready to party! image 49 Are missing out! image 13 Can't find the mailbox!
    RSVP Date: March 23, 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never really had fondant so I don't know what it tastes like. But I love buttercream. 

I'm not going to much help but reason for buttercream: better tasting, no upgrade, and they can do a lot! to make it look pretty (just like fondant)

Fondant: less tasty but I've been told that they put the fondant on the cake with buttercream and that people can/do pull off the fondant? 

I mainly didn't do fondant because of the price. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Krysta6Krysta6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I got fondant I would do a fake cake so then I could have a yummy sheet cake in the back! But I think I'm leaning towards buttercream, especially since we tasted we take the cake and they were super yummy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm not having either. I'm doing a top tier and then cupcakes. BUT.. I'm getting FI a grooms cake and that will be Fondant... maybe that counts!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I too think Fondant is way too much to upgrade too BUT I voted for fondant because my cake is being gifted to me by my friend lol... if it weren't for that, buttercream it would be
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    efontefont member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Faith. A good baker can do an amazing job with buttercream. Buttercream tastes so much better too. I'm more for taste with a very similar look to fondant. It's all about the taste for me! Laughing

Our Furbabies: Jake, Bentley & Logan
    imageimageimageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    KimA85KimA85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    buttercream all the way. A truly talented baker can work with buttercream and make it look as perfect as fondant.
    Counting down until our 4th of July arrival! BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using fondant. FI liked the look of it ... but they layer our frosting (chocolate ganache) underneath it.  I think most people who don't like the fondant just peel it off.

Our fondant-ed cake is also smaller - serves 80, I think, and then the rest will be sheet cake.

That said, I wanted a cake that was red, and square, so obviously I think it's a little harder to achieve with buttercream.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Buttercream! FI and I don't like the foundant. My baker does an awesome job so I totally agree with faith.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 134 image 102 image 15 image 17
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BUTTER-CREAM!!  DELICIOUS! My venue is offering either but my FI and I want buttercream.

I know fondant can really be amazing, but we want a simple cake with real flowers decorating it. There are soo many photos of amazing buttercream cakes, so style shouldn't be effected if there is an upgrade charge. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards