Florida-South Florida
Options

what would you do....?or say...?

Ok so here is the story
FI and I orginally wanted to get married at the Boca Spanish River Library, but we didnt find anyone that lived on east boca to get the half off the regular rate ($1600/2=800) which is our budget for a venue (yeah I know...talk about bride on a budget) so FI does system automatization and programming, e.g houses that are controlled by touch panels and remotes, home theaters, soung engineering and all kinds of cool stuff :) and one of his clients who is very fond of him, when we called to invite her to our civil wedding said she couldnt come bc she was out of town in Spain but that for the other wedding we could use her house, she said it very lightly so we werent sure if to take her seriously or not. In the end, although she is somewhat close,  she is still a client you know... so we emailed her the e-vite and told her we were really thankful for the offer that it was nice of her and we left it at that.
Then since she didnt respond (hehe we were waiting for her to reassure us of her offer) we emailed her again saying the wedding was amazing that we were sad she couldnt make it and we asked her if the offer was still up because we still havent found a venue and how much would she charge us... and this is what she responded
(NOTE: our wedding is of about 120 ppl and her house fits about 150....and we really want it LOL)

**My pleasure if u keep ir under 50 people. Of course there is no charge bobo. What dates are u looking at.

When I get to Miami, I'll b leaving to India.**

what should we say? is it appropriate to just turn it down, if so how? or should we try to ask her if 80-100 ppl is ok and cut down our guest list, in the end it is a FREE venue lol

ahhh

thank you all so much!!!
BabyFetus Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family

Re: what would you do....?or say...?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmmm... That's really nice of her and I understand wanting to keep it small since it is in her house.

So, I would say something like "oh what a shame! We really love your home and so wanted to have our wedding there, but unfortunately we have between 100-150 guest. So I guess that won't work, huh? :-( We are bummed but we do thank you for offerring us your home, that was very sweet of you."

And then wait to see if she says if you can have the additional guests or if she says, yeah I guess it won't work, sorry.

Sending you knottie vibes so that she says it's ok to have more. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Rosmery who worded it perfectly! 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i dont know...she is a client -  i would turn her home down. you dont want to be responsible if anything is stolen/broken.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree with Melissa...and in all honesty, think about it like this:

When you PAY for something, you have the right to IMPOSE as much as you want.  You're going to want to go to your venue multiple times, have a look around, plan where you're going to put what, demand things get put or cleaned the way you want them....how comfortable are you going to feel imposing on a home that, you're not only NOT paying for, but belongs to your husband's client?

I say this because we considered doing the event in my boss's house, which is beautiful and immaculate and HUGE.  But just thinking that I may have to tiptoe around the wife  turned me off to the whole idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah i agree with you dont want to be responsible if something is broken, stained, or damaged. Then you have to remember that what you might think is acceptable, she might not and vice versa. i think its very nice of her to offer but i think in this case you should turn her offer down politely. i am not sure about mentioning that you have 2 or 3 x more guest and that is the reason - i would just say thank you so much for the offer but we have found an amazing venue we just couldnt pass up.

:)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ok great
    thanks girls!!!

janet-i feel you!!
    BabyFetus Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all the top posts....dealing with ppl ur not paying can be a real pain!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the other girls.. I dont think I would accept with it being a client's home...

but Mariposa's wording is fab lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lol.. thanks girls.

I see your point, but I think that if someone offers their home they are fully aware that they run the possibility of something getting broken, damaged or lost. And you would have to work out all the details of what they are expecting vs what you are and what they are comfortable with. If you are not on the same page, simply thank them and say, you know I really appreciate your offer but I really don't want to burden you with these many people in your home.

Personally, if I offer my home up for an event I do it knowingly of all the possibilities. Otherwise, I wouldn't offer it.

But yeah, I agree with you girls, it could be tricky. If they had a side entrance and outside bathroom facilities where the guests don't need to come inside would be best. It also depends on how familiar and comfortable you are with the home owner.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't do it, just because IF ANYTHING happens, whatever it could be you don't want to have to give her any explanations. It is hard to turn down free stuff but you ALWAYS end up paying a price for that. Just tell her that you found another place with your mom or something like that (a white lie ;) and that you are thankful for her offer etc. At the end it will be better for you guys!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ehhh, I'd be very uncomfortable. A wedding is a big deal. Maybe just host your bridal shower there? lol, but I think you can find other options where you can have the power stick and not walking on eggshells. Good luck, keep us posted!
  • Options
    anaroo87anaroo87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Although I'd be excited and tempted to have a free venue .. I would lose so much sleep being nervous about all the "what if's". I'm pretty sure I would start coming up with every stupid possibility of something bad happening (a guest stealing something expensive, a candle being tipped and burning the house down, etc.) That'd be too much stress before and the day of, at least for me.

But if you really want it and feel comfortable with the lady,  then it shouldn't be a problem and I would go with what Rosmery said, it was well-written! :)
    Planning Bio

April Siggy Challenge: The Ring

Anna♥Joey
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

image 160 Got Invited (..what happened to a small wedding?!)
    image 99 Are ready to party! image 49 Are missing out! image 13 Can't find the mailbox!
    RSVP Date: March 23, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards