Florida-South Florida
Options

First DIY Project-- Need Opinions! PIPs!

So today I was at Michaels fueling my scrapbooking addiction and I stumbled upon their silk flowers. For fun I decided to buy a vase and a stem of orchids to mess around with.

We are planning to have submerged orchids with floating candles for centerpieces accompanied by some votives on the table.

So, I get home, threw it together in two seconds and was pleasantly surprised. Using fake flowers for centerpieces would save me a lot of money and these flowers look pretty convincing. They even feel like orchids!

What do you ladies think? Do these look good enough to be my centerpieces? Please ignore the crappy orange floating candles (I had only Halloween candles!) and the white votives- I just trying to get an idea.

Be honest!

Also, please ignore my messy couch. The cats destroy the poor thing during the day!

Thanks!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: First DIY Project-- Need Opinions! PIPs!

• Options
    KECANADEOKECANADEO member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they look really pretty! Great job!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Such a good idea.. the only thing that would probably give it away (that they're fake flowers) is probably the stem. If it would fit i would do them with two in the vase back to back.. if it wouldnt be too crowded. Other than that - I like!
    *February Siggy*
    <3 Favorite Picture of me and my man <3 <br>Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_first-diy-project-need-opinions-pips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:934e24a0-54aa-4fab-8a86-7fd469fdab1ePost:9685fd22-7b15-4ab1-b14d-83e2c8dc7adc">Re: First DIY Project-- Need Opinions! PIPs!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Such a good idea.. the only thing that would probably give it away (that they're fake flowers) is probably the stem. If it would fit i would do them with two in the vase back to back.. if it wouldnt be too crowded. Other than that - I like!
    Posted by Pamela718[/QUOTE]
    That's a good idea!! I will try that! Thanks!

Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    RaquelSRaquelS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, they do look great. Nice work.
    *So Fla Board February Siggy* My babe and I
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think since they will be submerged, that your guests won't even be able to tell. Plus, it seems you will have low lighting with the candle light. I say go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_first-diy-project-need-opinions-pips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:934e24a0-54aa-4fab-8a86-7fd469fdab1ePost:286284d1-881e-49b7-938c-b7468abfbc68">Re: First DIY Project-- Need Opinions! PIPs!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think since they will be submerged, that your guests won't even be able to tell. Plus, it seems you will have low lighting with the candle light. I say go for it!
    Posted by ErikaMissAmerica[/QUOTE]
    Yes, there will be low lighting. I should've included that in the original post.

Thanks for all the input girls!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I used submerged silk orchids for my engagment. Nobody could tell, they are just as beautiful! I say go for it!

Chan's Silk Flower's sells flowers and vases super cheap, a lot less than michael's so that is an option..
    http://www.chansilkflowers.com/
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They look beautiful! I am doing something similar and think they look great. I can't tell that they are fake, and no one will be examining it either. (I hope)
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_first-diy-project-need-opinions-pips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:934e24a0-54aa-4fab-8a86-7fd469fdab1ePost:e6b51149-694a-47aa-b79a-0697a0110e59">Re: First DIY Project-- Need Opinions! PIPs!</a>:
    [QUOTE]They look beautiful! I am doing something similar and think they look great. I can't tell that they are fake, and no one will be examining it either. (I hope)
    Posted by lgrn22[/QUOTE]
    Haha, I hope no one examines them either!! My mom was like "I'd feel them to see if they were real!" but she's just nosey.

Jen-- thanks for the rec! I appreciate it!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think with the candles in it, no one will risk getting burned.....
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very nice. I think it looks great!! Well done.
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_first-diy-project-need-opinions-pips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:934e24a0-54aa-4fab-8a86-7fd469fdab1ePost:0195eee9-aaf3-4f61-87cf-298ae0b602f4">Re: First DIY Project-- Need Opinions! PIPs!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think with the candles in it, no one will risk getting burned.....
    Posted by rxjen[/QUOTE]
    Haha, good!

Christina-y: thanks girlie!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    lol I always touch flowers but not ones in water! And true with the burning flame on top.
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again girls!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    awesome job for your first DIY!!! I love it and looks very real
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really like it! I'm doing submerged flowers as well, but am going with roses to save money...I'm jealous of your pretty orchids!
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_first-diy-project-need-opinions-pips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:934e24a0-54aa-4fab-8a86-7fd469fdab1ePost:0dc07c17-283a-473a-a3f8-e8bc6de2eac2">Re: First DIY Project-- Need Opinions! PIPs!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like it! I'm doing submerged flowers as well, but am going with roses to save money...I'm jealous of your pretty orchids!
    Posted by dewreb[/QUOTE]

They're fake! They were $4.99 at Michaels (and also buy one get one free!)! If you're willing to go the fake route, do it!

• Options
    LindsA90410LindsA90410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love it!! I was thinking of doing something similar with flowers in water and a candle on top. I never thought of getting silk flowers! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful!  You cannot even tell that they are silk flowers.  I love it!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOVE it!!! I  can't tell and I'm pretty picky with flowers! Go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards