Florida-South Florida
Options

ceremony/reception question

Our ceremony and reception are both at my dad's house, in the back part of our property (we have 5 acres). The reception part will be set up under a 40x40 white tent (no sides, just a pole tent). The ceremony seating with the arch and stuff will be near it, not under a tent, by some trees and stuff. We're very set on this set up. 

I'm worried that the transition from "ceremony" to "reception" will be awkward, because this is where most people have their cocktail hour, or people are driving to the other location, etc. The ceremony is at 5:30 and the reception is at 6. Our DJ is from 6-11 so should be set up and ready to go right at the end of the ceremony.

So there really won't be like ... the bride and groom arriving and being announced and all that stuff unless we like, go in my house and go take pictures and then come back ....

I'm not sure. I don't even know what my question is. How do you make this transition less awkward for the guests? 

Re: ceremony/reception question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    maybe you can come up with a way to separate things.. maybe go inside the house even if just for 10 mins so you can make an actual entrance???
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah. I mean I guess this is where most people would take pictures - but we're doing a first look. Because the lighting will be better before the ceremony. And it'll be dark probably by 6pm. Bad for pictures. idk. This is the sh!t you don't have to think about when you picture your dream wedding in your head hahah. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Jaime. Right after your ceremony, you should definitely go and take some pics and then afterwards have the dj announce the bridal party and you.
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • Options
    Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also agree with pp's. Make your entrance!! =)
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I really need to get 2 sets of chairs and have them both set up, realistically, and not have to move them, right? 
  • Options
    Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well you can maybe do the cocktail hour outside the tent? in the mean time while doing that someone can set up the reception area. do you have a pool? If so what if you did cocktail hour around it?
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have a pool. But it's screened in, and probably not big enough for 75 people. This is getting complicated. This was supposed to be easy. lol. 
  • Options
    Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha sorry hun! hmm wish i could see the backyard to think of more. hmmmmmm well i guess if you could afford extra chairs it wouldnt hurt, but doing the cocktail hour somewhere else on the property would help, is there a better spot?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll just do cocktail hour in our tree house. 

And I'm getting 2 sets of chairs lol I think we have to. 
  • Options
    LAKE21LAKE21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, crap. I totally had this thing all written out and it deleted it so here it goes again!

My FSIL had her wedding at the Miami Sea Aqaurium. After the ceremony, all the guests walked over to the tented reception area where they had the table set up with the seating cards and sign in book. They also had a bar set up and some tables if people wanted to sit. They didn't provide food during that time (about 20 - 30 mins). During their "cocktail hour" we were able to get our seating cards, sign the book, mingle with other guests, get a drink, and find our seats. This time allowed the bride and groom to take some photos at the ceremony site and with other family members.

I think that if you decided to do something like this it would be a great chance for your guests to do all thos things I listed above and maybe even use the lou.

I agree with other that you should make an entrance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing my ceremony and reception in the same small venue - an old house - we had a similar problem.  the ceremony takes place in the same area with the same chairs as the reception and I just had this image of us all standing around while people move tables and chairs around. 

But our DOC suggested we "herd" the guest to the bar area by having the bride and groom walk back down the aisle and to the bar area where we can pose for a few photos or make a toast and then the bride and groom and dissapear and the guests are where they need to be.  Maybe you guys can walk back to the tent with everyone following and then slip into the house~ so you can be announced and make your enterance!
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies :) I think I just got stressed and couldn't see the options lol, I get like that. This is super helpful. Although I do think we're still going to get two sets of chairs. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards