Florida-South Florida
Options

Flower Dilema with my MOH,she has too many opinions lately! (LONG)

I was talking to my MOH and she asked me if I had any ideas as far as what to do for flowers etc.Well I told her that I was looking at a silk floral supply company online and she absolutely flipped out,saying that weddings are supposed to have real flowers....Really?!?! I explained the reason behind my decision( I dont want to offend no one here), when I was a kid my mom just grew veggies in our gardens never flowers because she felt bad about them dying and looking sad so that stuck with me, also when I was in elementary school my friends used to talk me into sneaking into a Funeral Home to check it out,this happened on a regular basis so ever since then I have associated the scent of flowers with the scent of death.This is a very big hang-up that I have,I even discussed this in therapy in my teens because I didnt want a Quince because of it....Am I wrong? What do I do?
South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!

Re: Flower Dilema with my MOH,she has too many opinions lately! (LONG)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello!! It's your wedding!! She should respect your decisions whatever the reason. And obviously she is someone close to be your MOH. Show her some silk flower arrangements and how beautiful they can be. She wil be on board. Sorry about the issues :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I agree! There are many times when friends, BMs, family members go crazy and start putting their opinion in. If you do not want them, rock the silk flowers on your wedding day! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Girl its your day, its your money its all about you and your FI...I've learnt through this process that everyone is going to have an opinion and you know what, when its their day, they can do what they want but for now, smile and support you..

• Options
    PattyJosePattyJose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Girl, it is YOUR wedding YOU can do whatever YOU want. There are no rules on how to plan your own wedding. If you dont want real flowers, you wont have real flowers. Your wedding will be beautiful either way.

Also, if you flowers aren't your thing, you can also do candle centerpieces or the Manzanilla trees. My friend is actually doing really long vases with floating candles and it looks amazing!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree... It's your wedding. If you don't want real flowers, then don't have them. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to do it for her wedding or any other party. If you choose to sit a puppy on the center of the table or hang a monkey from a trapeeze, that's your decision. Who ever doesn't like it.. TOOOOOO bad.

You do not have to give her any reasons or explanations, either. If you were nice enough to tell her "why" and she didn't respect that, that's her issue.. not yours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You know people sometimes forget that a wedding reception is about celebrating the union of two people that love each other. Maybe you should remind your MOH of that fact. Whether you have real flowers, silk flowers or a potato as your centerpiece you are still marrying the person you love and everyone is there to celebrate that love (not centerpieces). 

Don't worry about others' opinions because you will never please everyone and like everyone before me has mentioned it's YOUR wedding day. :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Dana JRDana JR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not having real flowers either. I don't like them and I would rather have something that will last. There are lots of options for fake flowers and some of them look very realistic. You can also do "alternative" bouquets like buttonor crystal bouquets, flowers made from lace, etc. Check out Etsy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. Its your day! She should understand where your coming from and support your decision....thats her job as your MOH. Do what makes you happy!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

you do whatever YOU want, its your day. Imagine thinking about death on your wedding day?!?!?! She needs to understand you and people need to start looking through the brides eyes and not theirs. Sometimes family ad friends think they know best, but they don't. They need to support us and that's it!

Stephany Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ^^^ What they said.

I just felt the need to chime in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you kidding me?? You would RUIN the mental image of your day if you associate it with the smell of flowers, which for you indicates death.  No way.  Silk flowers, candles, tree branches, sooooo many options.  There's no need for you to go the route of real flowers, not to mention the money you'll be saving.  Tell your MOH to put a sock in it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Everyone's right, do what you want!

Also as far as her thinking that weddings are SUPPOSED to have real flowers...that tradition began long, long ago because back then people didn't bathe as often as we do or use deodorant - the flower smell covered up the stench. Since you don't have a stench, you don't need real flowers! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i agree its your day do what makes you happy! and dont feel bad my grandmother never had candles in the house cause it reminded her of funeral homes too... go figure ...so if no flower or silk flowers is what you want go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards